was: Thank you Vioxx! now: HELP! pain's unbearable!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

My neck pain has been bad again lately.

I've mentioned previously that I seem to have a cervical disk problem and I have pain in my back and shoulder and down my arm. {my neck pain and mobility have improved a bit from physio and recent B vitamin shot --B good for nerve pain-- but I didn't have the cal-mag in the shot this time and my muscles are so tense. The cal-mag must have been a significant factor in the muscular pain improvement with my injection 2 weeks ago -- unfortunately, I seem to react to something in the shot which gives me sever pain in my injection area, so I am trying to rule each component out, hence no cal-mag this time.

As of yesterday, I couldn't take the pain in my arm and back anymore. The Mobicox isn't helping enough, nor did my TENS unit last night, nor ice pack.

So, I went to a walk in medical clinic today and got a prescription for Vioxx which the physio said is stronger than Mobicox. I also got Tylenol 3's and stopped at the nearby Health food store for sublingual B12.

Now, finally, 2 hours after ingestion of vioxx [and 2 tylenol 3's and one sublingual B - I couldn't wait to do them one at a time, in too much discomfort] I have 80% less pain and can relax.

Thank you Vioxx! and Tylenol 3's...

Anybody else have good results with Vioxx?

Develop any side effects?

Jen F
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2003]
  2. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

Will help with pain management? Let me know. dolsgirl
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I had a B complex and Cal Mag shot in the butt 2 wks ago which had *amazing* results on my pain for a few days.

I had tried B12 shots in the arm 5 years ago for my fatigue without much result.

But recently, I heard that it's better to get full b complex and to have injection in the larger muscle area of the buttocks, than in the arm.

So, I gave it a try.

Unfortunately, I'm not good with needles in the first place and also the injection was unexpectedly very painful for me. Not so much the needle as the contents. Burned a lot and had radiating pain down the leg as the solution went into my body. I've never heard of anyone else having this reaction, so I wouldn't worry much about you having that problem if you chose to try a shot. Some people get local tenderness and might experience a bit of stinging with the injection, but that's all I've heard of.

I was so impressed with the results for my back and neck that I did an internet search about B vit injections. Seems that many people [and rats :)] get relief from nerve pain from B12 injection.

Anyhow, I attempted the injection again this week, with just the b complex and no cal mag, but had to ask my Naturopath to stop injecting when I started getting the extreme pain in my butt again. After a few minutes I was ready to try the injection in my arm, I figured my arm's sore anyways...it really hurt but didn't radiate down my arm like in my leg.

I think that shot is one of the reasons why my *neck* pain and mobility is a bit better these last few days. However, my arm pain and back pain [muscular] is not tolerable.

Since I don't seem to be able to easily tolerate the B shots, sublingual is the next best choice. I do take oral [swallowed] supplements including cal mag and B complex, but it seems that a lot of us don't absorb well and therefore may have better results with sublingual or injection.

If you try it, hope it helps your pain!

P.S. I bought the sublingual pill --bottle half price of drops, but wish I had splurged on the drops. Took over 15 min's for pill to dissolve under my tongue -- and when you want pain relief, you want it NOW! With the drops, they are absorbed almost instantly.
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

One site that I looked at recommended the following:

"For chronic pain, some authorities recommend 500 micrograms of sublingual B12, two or three times a day."

I gather it doesn't work for everybody, but a sig number of people notice benefits.

Let me know if you try it what your results are.

What kind of pain do you have?

5. JQP

JQP New Member

I've been on it for over two years now, and wouldn't be without it. I have 12.5 mg in the AM and because have not had side effect (like ibuprofen and naproxen) take it every day. When pain gets too bad found that taking another at night, rather than 25mg together worked best.

I also top up with co-dydramol - GP seems to like this combination, and it's been OK.

Go for it!
    Jacqui
  6. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Interesting to know how helpful you find it. That's good.

Congrat's btw, on quitting smoking when you did and remaining an non-smoker. That's excellent!

Jen F [partly of British decent -- maternal grandmo was a war bride from England, but I've actually never been to your country...though I've watched Coro St :) does that make me a plunker? lol]
  7. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I just wanted to tell you to please be careful with
    the Vioxx. My dr. put me on it and it gave me
    shortness of breath and I also had hip swelling, etc.
    I at that time was on another FMS board and many
    many people were having problems with the vioxx.
    When I went back to see my dr. he told me that
    a lot of his patients were bothered by the vioxx
    and he switched me to Celebrex, which is
    similar. I didn't take it all that much because I
    was worried about that, too. Some reported problems
    with it as well. I just want to alert you incase you
    find yourself having some of the symptoms.
    Also, I take Naprosyn Extra strength by prescript
    for menstrual cramps and found it helps my back, too.

I am glad you are finding some relief.
    My brother experienced the same thing with vioxx
    and switched to celebrex.

Lynn
  8. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I'll try to keep aware of that.

Why did the vioxx make your hip swell?

I do feel a little weird, but I don't think that's odd considering that I am on several meds and haven't had much sleep and finally have some pain relief.

Certain parts of my body feel numb. Such as my butt and face.

But so far I am mostly thankful for the pain relief.

I am hoping it continues until my neck problem heals. I'll be getting an xray next week, so perhaps that will give me some more information.

Thanks for your input.

Jen
  9. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Following day, the vioxx and Tylenol 3 made me sick so I had to discontinue...As soon as the terrible nausea and malaise started to subside, pain started to return.

I've been in so much pain, it's hard to tolerate...

I took maximum dosages of Advil and regular Tylenol, but they don't seem to be touching the pain. This evening I took the mobicox again, and that took the edge off. I went to physio and had ultrasound, but that was no immediate pain relief...maybe by tomorrow I will be a bit better???

I also took 2 more reg tylenols.

I have taken Cal-mag, my usual supplements, some Efamol, zinc, coQ10. I applied an ice pack to my neck and shoulders. And I have now just taken a hot epsom salt bath.

My pain is tolerable now, but JUST...

I will be taking my Restoril soon which relaxes me a bit, so hopefully it will help a bit too. If not, what else do I have at home?? The long neglected bottle of Jack Daniels a landlord gave me years ago??

Tomorrow I will go to the doc and ask for Celebrex. and later will go for neck xray.

What else can I do at home that I'm not doing???

Suggestions??

I've been doing stretching [maybe shouldn't] and my TENS unit wasn't doing the trick Fri night, so I don't have faith in it for this pain.

Help!?!

10. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

and I take one Vioxx 25 MG every morning. It does help. When I stop taking it, I notice it and go back on. dolsgirl
  11. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I have already taken 2 sublingual 1000mcg of B12 and I don't think I can take the vioxx again, certainly not at 25 mg, maybe at 12, but I felt so sick yesterday, it was just as bad as the pain...so I am reluctant to take the vioxx again.

Glad you are trying the subl b12. let me know how works for you
  12. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi Jen,

I am sorry the Vioxx isn't working for you.
    Have you tried wrapping a hot towel around
    your neck? Do you have any kind of collar?
    The wet towel might make you feel better and give
    a little support.

I have neck problems too and it's no fun.
    Mine got better somewhat with P.T and neck
    exercises. It is still very easily disturbed, though.

Hope you get some relief.
    I love Ben Gay for my bad back but I once put
    it on my neck and shoulder area and boy was it
    unbearably HOT!!!!

Lynn

What are the possible side effects of VIOXX?

Serious but rare side effects that have been reported in patients taking VIOXX and/or related medicines have included:

* Serious stomach problems, such as stomach and intestinal bleeding, can occur with or without warning symptoms. These problems, if severe, could lead to hospitalization or death. Although this happens rarely, you should watch for signs that you may have this serious side effect and tell your doctor right away.

* Heart attacks and similar serious events have been reported in patients taking VIOXX.

* Serious allergic reactions including swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and/or throat which may cause difficulty breathing or swallowing and wheezing occur rarely but may require treatment right away. Severe skin reactions have also been reported.

* Serious kidney problems occur rarely, including acute kidney failure and worsening of chronic kidney failure.

* Severe liver problems, including hepatitis, jaundice and liver failure, occur rarely in patients taking NSAIDs, including VIOXX. Tell your doctor if you develop symptoms of liver problems. These include nausea, tiredness, itching, tenderness in the right upper abdomen, and flu-like symptoms.

In addition, the following side effects have been reported: anxiety, blurred vision, colitis, confusion, decreased levels of sodium in the blood, depression, fluid in the lungs, hair loss, hallucinations, increased levels of potassium in the blood, insomnia, low blood cell counts, menstrual disorder, palpitations, pancreatitis, ringing in the ears, severe increase in blood pressure, tingling sensation, unusual headache with stiff neck (aseptic meningitis), vertigo.

More common, but less serious side effects reported with VIOXX have included the following:

Upper and/or lower respiratory infection and/or inflammation
    Headache
    Dizziness
    Diarrhea
    Nausea and/or vomiting
    Heartburn, stomach pain and upset
    Swelling of the legs and/or feet
    High blood pressure
    Back pain
    Tiredness
    Urinary tract infection.

These side effects were reported in at least 2% of osteoarthritis patients receiving daily doses of VIOXX 12.5 mg to 25 mg in clinical studies.

The side effects described above do not include all of the side effects reported with VIOXX. Do not rely on this leaflet alone for information about side effects. Your doctor or pharmacist can discuss with you a more complete list of side effects. Any time you have a medical problem you think may be related to VIOXX, talk to your doctor.
  13. Jen F

Jen F New Member

It's 3 am and I'm still trying to reduce my pain. It's not completely unbearable, but I'm not lying down right now.

Lying down is the most painful position for me right now.

But to sleep, I have to lie down!

I found an old scrip of Novo-dipam [diazepam, generic valium 5 mg] and have taken that, hoping it will relax my muscles further...but so far, it's been over half an hour and not enough relief. Next I shall try 1/2 of a tylenol with codeine but I am afraid it might make me sick like before...

Please...any other suggestions not mentioned yet in this thread???????

Thank you in advance!!

Jenny in pain.
  14. Dee33K

Dee33K New Member

Have you tried Bextra? It is similar but I think it does not have the same side effects as Vioxx.
    Dee
  15. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Is that an NSAID?

I am going to a walk-in clinic this aft to ask for help with my pain.

Maybe they will prescribe that.

Last night in order to get to sleep, I self medicated with some old novodipam [generic valium] that I found [5mg] and took 1/2 a tylenol 3. After 1.5 hrs, it did the trick enough so I could sleep.

I would like to take more Tylenol 3 but am afraid it will make me sick again.

I will also try to buy some bromelain at the HFS. I was eating raw pineapple for the inflammation, but it was giving my mouth sores.

Any additional suggestions??

Why does my arm and back hurt so much??? My mobility in my neck has improved and I've regained more arm strenght, but my pain is worse...

I don't understand...