was that inappropriate?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pippi1313, May 5, 2009.

1. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I just took a look at the care givers board. I'm glad I went there, cuz I see some of y'all are caregivers in addition to trying to cope with your own illnesses. I can't even begin to imagine what that's like!
    Of course, I would never post on that board, cuz I'm not a caregiver.

But I saw something there I thought was inappropriate & wonder if anyone else agrees.

It was a post from a college student who wanted to send people surveys so she (or he - I don't remember) could study them for a class assignment.

I think that's just plain wrong. We're here to support each other, not be studied & analyzed by curious outsiders who know nothing of being sick or caring for a sick loved one.

That post really rubbed me the wrong way...
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

wants to do a survey needs to get permission from ProHealth. (See the rules:
    upper right hand corner.)

We had a grad student doing the same thing a couple months ago. Doing a survey
    on male body image or some such intellectual fluff.

And there's a post on the FM/CFS board right now from a first time poster who is
    encouraging the sale of some book that will cure FM.

As somebody said (already forgot who, sorry), click the "report as inappropriate button" and Pro Health will check it out.

Rock
  3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I clicked the report button.

I saw that other post you mentioned, too.

It looks like we really gotta watch out for each other in here!
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi not sure if you noticed that post is from nov 07.

Personally i think education is great and if someone can help or is interested in new ideas or such for caregivers,help them understand from the people that do it.

thought is was nice a college student cared about this
  5. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I understand what you're saying. I didn't get the impression the person actually cared. he was just looking for an information source to do an assignment.

I completely agree about education & the need for more understanding. I just wondered if this was the proper place for educating outsiders. That's why I asked whether or not it was appropriate. I was unsure about it.

Yes, I'm a bit resentful that "outsiders" as I call them, don't want much to do with us, unless there's something in it for them. That's why I feel protective of the people here.

Thanks for your input. I do see your point!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

At one time or another, have to do a survey. Depending on what they are studying, they need to find a target-rich environment in which to survey people. This place may have been the best source of info the student could find. On the other hand, he or she should have read the rules and gotten permission to post the survey.

Anyone selling anything should be reported to ProHealth as this is not permitted at all.

Love, Mikie
  7. vivian53

vivian53 Member

Didn't see the post but I am a caregiver and a former college student. I have often thought that the population here is perfect for a survey.

Talk about a random group, and all in on place. It's a statisticians dream.

Of course, ethics and the ProHealth Board rule.

JMHO

vivian