Wash your fruit and veggies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fairydust39, Apr 8, 2006.

1. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I thought that you all should read this. Also there is a product at Grocery stores called "Fit" which I use to wash all produce.
    Hugs Shirley

Wash Your Fruits and Vegetables

Rinsing is not enough
    Rinsing with water alone is not enough when it comes to washing the fruits and vegetables you buy in the market. Fruits and vegetables are potential sources of food-borne illness. Take extra care in washing organic food that is often fertilized with manure as well as all fruits and vegetables that are eaten raw.

Keeping fruits and vegetables safe
    What are the best ways to keep raw fruits and vegetables safe?

• Wash your hands before preparing food. Use the sanitation spray to eradicate reservoir of bacteria from your hands and under your fingernails. Make sure you sterilize your hands in this way after changing a diaper or working in the garden and like. Also sterilize your hands after bathroom use and before meals. Sterilize kitchen countertops and cutting boards. To create your own sanitation spray mix 50-50 grain alcohol and water into a spray bottle. The purest source for grain alcohol in the US is Ever Clear. If you can get 180 proof, buy that, if not then get the 151 proof. This is available in liquor stores. Ever Clear is bottled by David Sherman Corporation, St. Louis, MO. 151 proof is equal to 75% alcohol, so in this case mix 2 parts alcohol and 1 part water in order to get the 50-50 solution.

• Wash fruits and vegetables with Lugol’s Iodine Veggie-Wash.
    Lugol’s Iodine Veggie-Wash is manufactured with clean well water and does not contain propyl alcohol. Lugol's iodine has been used for decades by travelers to foreign lands to wash their fruit and vegetables. Best of all, with Lugol’s Iodine Veggie-Wash, a little goes a long way—a 2-ounce bottle is good for up to 480 gallons of cleansing wash.

• To use Lugol’s Iodine Veggie-Wash, in a clean sink or a large bowl, add one drop Lugol's per quart of water. Dip lettuce, spinach and any other produce so everything is well wetted for one minute or more. Rinse with cold tap water.

• For produce with thick skin, use a vegetable brush to help wash away hard-to-remove dirt and microbes.

• Always clean your counter top, cutting boards, and utensils after peeling produce and before further cutting. Bacteria from the outside of raw produce can be transferred to the inside when it is cut or peeled. Use clean cutting boards and utensils – not those that were just used for raw meat, fish or poultry. Wash kitchen surfaces and utensils with hot, soapy water after preparing each food item.

• Don’t forget that homegrown fruits and vegetables should also be well washed.

More tips about produce
    • It’s important to store fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator when you bring them home. If not stored in refrigerated temperatures, any bacteria in these foods can multiply quickly—and make you sick.

• Leafy vegetables such as lettuce and cabbage should have the outer leaves pulled off and discarded. The inner leaves should be rinsed individually.

• Scrub the outside of lemons and melons with a brush and rinse thoroughly before cutting through the rinds.

• Break apart vegetables such as broccoli or cauliflower that have tight heads before washing.

• Carrots, potatoes and other root crops should be scrubbed, even if you plan on peeling them.

Help prevent food-borne illness from striking you and your family. Wash fruits and vegetables with Lugol’s Iodine Veggie-Wash before you eat them.

This article is copyrighted by Dr. Clark and may be freely distributed as long as you include this sentence.

2. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Thanks, I don't do all of this??????

Did, do you????

June
  3. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

No I don't do all of those things but I do use "Fit" and wash all produce.Even baged greens that are prewashed. People that have cats that jump on the counters should be even more careful b/c animals pass parasites to us also. I will be much more careful of everything from now on.
    Hugs Shirley
  4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I have always rinsed the "prewashed" but will now be more careful.

Thanks again!!!!

Fondly, June
  5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

For most fruits and vegetables I make a spray of 1 tsp natural soap (I use Basic H but something like 7th Generation fragrance free dishwashing liquid should work), and I fill the rest of the bottle with 3% hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy. You'd be amazed at how the stuff will foam up which means it has either bacteria, fungus or yeast on it.

For lettuce I peel off the outer leaves, then soak the remaining leaves in water with several drops of 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide added (has to be ordered special in most areas).

We had an incident in Colorado a few years ago where a produce worker in one of the large health food supermarkets had hepatitis and apparently contaminated some of the food. Organic still needs to be washed and cleaned properly.

Jan
  6. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Yes I know that you can use food grade Peroxide for washing produce,but it is hard to find! I have got it on the net but nothing local. The product called "Fit" is available at the grocery store and works well. Maybe someone else knows of another product that can be bought locally.
    Hugs Shirley
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The skins are loaded with pesticides and should be very carefully washed with soap and water.

Love, Mikie[This Message was Edited on 04/09/2006]
  8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

My brother in law uses a drop of this on an apple when he gets ready to eat one. It's cheap and long lasting.
  9. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I really believe that a lot of our illness is brought on by things like this. Hopefully we can sort out the best way to clean our produce and enhance our health too.
    Hugs Shirley
  10. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

The naturopathic doc I used to see recommended this. I soak all fruit & veggies in vinegar & water as soon as I come home from the grocery store. AMY