Wasn't sure where to post this......

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeavenlyRN, May 30, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I would have put it on the disability board but it doesn't get much traffic.

I've been out of work since December 23rd, initially due to back and leg pain, then ended up having surgery for a kidney problem. My prior job was as a hospice nurse, visiting patients in several different nursing homes. Lots of walking, hauling paperwork and a computer with me. Sitting, standing, walking, driving, etc.

When I saw my MD on May 17th, he decided o keep me out of work for another 2 months. However, I also saw the NP at my rheumy's office around the same time and she made some med changes. Now I am beginning to feel better and wonder if I could go back to work - this time as an office worker. In other words, a desk job.

I was looking at the job postings on my employer's website and found a job that looks promising.

However, my employer won't "interview" me for another job until I have been cleared by my MD. BUT, if my MD clears me to go back to work - even at a desk job - my disability insurance will stop. THEN, what happens if they don't hire me for that one job that looks promising? I'd have to go through the disability paperwork h*ll again.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2010]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I don't know, don't have any experience in that area...
    but it's sort of like having golden handcuffs in a sense, it seems, doesn't it?

3. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I know, I know.......I felt like dookie this morning and couldn't have imagined trying to get ready for work. But, after a little while (and 1 percocet and my heating pad) I began to feel better. And now, 4 hours later, I feel like I could work.

Yeah....handcuffs! That's a pretty good analogy!
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Your desire to go back to work is laudable, but is it realistic?

I think you need to devise some sort of test. E.g., I won't even think of
    going back to work until I've gone an entire month wherein I felt well enough
    to go back to work every day.

this is far different from thinking, Gee, I don't feel too bad today. Right?

I didn't work for over a year. Then rushed back to work part-time. It would
    have been much better for my financial and mental health if I had stayed
    disabled for those 20 years.

Anyhoo, glad to hear you're feeling better.

5. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Girlfriend...im siding with rock here. Id hate to see you push to get back to work...just to have it backfire on you. Maybe...just MAYBE...its time to stop? He made such a good point about not even thinking about it until you can go a month feeling good all 31 days. Think about it?
  6. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Truthfully, it isn't worth losing the income from SS. It would be easier to get full benefits if you get worse than better.

Like the others said, wait at least a month -- then try going back.

7. spacee

spacee Member

Just sitting can still make pain much worse. I did some decluttering at DH's office sometime
    in the past year for 1.5 hours a week. Even sitting in an extremely comfortable chair, I was
    in PAIN at the end of 1.5 hours.

Haven't you talked about volunteer work? If you could do that for month, that would
    tell you a lot.

You have been through so much. I know you want to function again and it's hard to
    not do what you once (sorta) did.

I really feel for you!!