Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Jan 19, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

House has a new episode tonight. It is about a man who tries to commit suicide because of chronic pain.

I have no idea if it will do justice to what people with chronic pain go through but thought I would let people know.

2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I watched the episode of House tonight on living with chronic pain. There was a mention of FM, with no real negative connotation other than the fact that House doesn't really hold much credibility in disorders that are made by exclusion. One of the doctors said that many a rheumatologist would disagree with him.

House made one comment though when they started talking about depression...he said "he's not in pain because of depression, he's depressed because he's in pain"...yeah House!

It did made me so sad though that a cause was found for his patients pain and we will still live a life with pain. That doesn't sound right even to me but we are talking about an actor as opposed to real life us!

What did the rest of you think.
  3. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I usually avoid this show but I watched it after reading a post here (Gaps, of course)...I found the reference to FM very tasteful considering how annoying the show is in my opinion, and decided to watch it all...
    However, my children came home mid show and I missed the last 15 minutes or what did the guy have? And they corrected it? A cure or management?

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am very tired so this will be brief. I thought it was tastefully done. I did like the comment about the College of Rheumatology. I do not remember his saying anything about exclusion. I do remember 13 saying that he did not meet the criteria for FM, meaning that yes there are specific symptoms.

I thought how they dealt with the depression issue was good. About how the guy did not want anyone around him as he could not deal with it and the pain.

A lot of things in the show resonated with me. I was kind of shocked it was done this tastefully. The one thing the show does semm to repeat is that House is on meds. to function not because he is addicted. However that does not make up for a lot of other things.

I would be interested in other's opinions.

5. kingd2

kingd2 New Member

In a way I identify with the him. He still keeps working with the chronic pain.I sooo understand the isolation of his pain and bitterness. He could be a little nicer, and lose the GOD complex.
    It is such a daily stuggle to be in constant pain and try and maintain a career and your life with family.Some parts of your life have to be sacrificed just to make it through a day. It does make you angry, especially the thought that you may have to live your entire life in constant misery. I grieve for the person I used to be, and don't know how much longer I can continue to drag myself to work or anything else. I have cut out everthing else but work , I come home and rest at night and weekends just so i can go to work the next day .
    The fibro mention in the show was great and was put out there as a diagnosable condition. anything the gets that message out there in a positive way is great.
  6. darude

darude New Member

The diagnosis was a rare form of epilepsy causing pain and could be releived with epilepsy meds. mmmmm makes sense
  7. darude

darude New Member

The diagnosis was a rare form of epilepsy causing pain and could be releived with epilepsy meds. mmmmm makes sense
  8. loto

loto Member

I did watch HOUSE. He's my favorite. I thought it a good episode. I also watched a program yesterday, I think it was Mystery Diagnosis. About a woman who struggle for 10 years with pain, etc., and kept thinking she was just a hypochondriac. I was yelling at the t.v., telling her, "no!!!! don't think that way!!!! we know when our bodies aren't right!!!!!" Anyway, it turned out she had some form of arthritis, but it took doctor's 10 years, and her almost dying to get it figured out! So, to all you out there, please never, ever, think you are a hypochondriac, and if someone ever calls you one, tell them to "go to hell!!" We have to listen to what our bodies are telling us, and keep seeing doctors till they find out what's going on!!!!
  9. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I watch House every week and this show really got to me. To see Chronic pain in someone else makes my knees quiver. I know so well what it feels like. If only we could have the great outcome that patient did.

One day....?

10. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

When House made that comment about the patient not being in pain because he's depressed, but depressed because of being in pain -- that was the best part of the whole show for me!

I said, "Yes! Exactly!" to the TV. My husband just looked over at me like I was nuts to be talking to the TV, but then he DOES understand and isn't really aware that other people may think we're in pain because we're depressed. (Some of those antidepressant commercials have done us a grave disservice.)

He commented that just as the family of the patient on the show felt helpless in the face of his pain, he often feels that way with mine.

I do think this was a very good episode, and hope that some of the lessons in it can reach the hearts of some of those who doubt chronic pain patients.

Best wishes,
  11. kellyann

kellyann New Member

This episode hit home hard with me. I suffer from chonic severe pain every single day. I have been diagnosed with Lyme Disease, FM,CFS,etc...I recently tried to commit suicide by ODing on pain pills. I took enough pills to knock a horse down for the count. My husband thought I looked sicker than usual the next morning and was worried so he had my daughter check on me. She called 911 when she found me barely brething. They told her another 30 minutes I'd have been dead for sure. I just could not bear to be in pain any longer, I reached a breaking point. I am thankful for second chance. My kids need me. As does the rest of my family. I felt so stupid!