Watched Atlantis This Morning

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The early bird gets the worm's eye view of the space shuttle flying overhead. Also, the double sonic booms. Atlantis entered FL just 30 miles south of where I live and crossed the state diagonally. By the time it crossed almost overhead, it was just like viewing an airplane at night except it was traveling at about 2.5 Mach!

I wish all launches were at night. I can see them from my lanai. It was too cloudy when Atlantis took off in the daytime but I did see the smoke trails from the booster rockets when they fell off. Night launches are spectacular. My SIL is a pilot and he flew past a night launch on his way to Miami. Everyone on that side of the plane got to see it up close and personal. He said it was amazing.

Love, Mikie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I remember when I was a kid. It was a thrill to see one of the new jet planes
    fly over.

The landing can be seen on Youtube. Since the landing was before sun up, there's
    not a whole lot to see though.

Never heard there was a double sonic boom. Why is that?

Rock
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The booms come from both the nose and tail. Depending on the design of an aircraft, there can be one or two booms. On the shuttle, both the nose and tail cause the air to become compressed due to how fast it flies. This causes vortices of compressed air to hit the ground. When it flies overhead, these vortices will cause the boom when they hit. I watched it on TV and heard the sonic booms on TV when it flew over Naples. I heard them again outside overhead 30 seconds later as the shuttle passed over.

I also remember those booms when I was a kid and jets were the big thing. We had an Air Force base in Denver and all those planes would be out flying. Once, years later, the stealth bomber flew right over my head at low altitude as I was lying by the pool. I got a great look at the underbelly. It had been flying over a parade downtown and was headed back out to Buckley Air Base.

It's kinda sad that Atlantis is the end of an era.

Love, Mikie
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

It's the end of an era in other ways as well, I'm afraid.

You see that old movie The Rocketeer? You can hear the theme from the
    soundtrack on Youtube. Thrilling music by the same guy what did Titanic.

Rock
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I love those movies with comic book qualities, good versus evil, and great heros and villans. I want to see "Captain America." It got good reviews in our paper.

Love, Mikie