Watched Discovery Take Off

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've watched a lot of the night launches from my lanai. It faces east so all I have to do is look to the north a bit and watch the big orange fireball rising over my neighbors' condo bldg. It's quite bright to the naked eye. After the booster is jettisoned, it turns bright white. Even though I'm on the SW side of the state, on the Gulf Coast, I can see it all the way to when it passes by GA. Amazing! Last one I watched, I used my binoculars and could actually see the initial booster rocket jettisoned and watch it fall back to earth.

My SIL is a pilot and he often flies to FL. He was in the air a couple of years back when there was a launch. He and the passengers got to see it from the air. He said it was spectacular.

I'd love to travel over to the Cape and watch one up close and personal but with all the delays, one cannot count on a launch date or time. Still, it's thrilling to know I can see them from home. Instead of being able to see Russia from my home, I can see spacecraft :) OK, Sarah Palin, top that one :)

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've always loved anything to do with space and astromony. Scott Carpenter, one of the early astronaughts, was from my home town. I remember when my ex and I were dating or first married, there was a parade for him. We got to see him up close and personal. My ex worked in aerospace and a lot of the guys would go down to work and watch the launches. There was a horrible accident and some of the guys burned to death. After that, they weren't sending them down like the did before. Gary never got to go.

Those were the "Wonder Years" days when we thought our youth and energy would always be around and there were no limits to what we could achieve. Those days felt golden at the time.

I also love to watch the "Nova" programs and a lot of the shows on the Discovery Channel. I am especially interested in quantum physics. It is amazing how many people are and there are books for those of us non-scientific types which explain things. Still, some of it is difficult to grasp. Used to be that physics had hard and fast rules. With quantum physics, there seem to be only possibilities. In a strange way, this excites me.

Glad to see some other space fans here.

Love, Mikie
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

You are so lucky to be able to see the launch from your place. That must be really something. I haven't been able to see it at all except for on TV. Gee, those guys and gals are BRAVE and truly scientists, besides pilots. As exciting as it all seems I don;t think I would want to be on the suttle.

I still remember many years agao watching the first manned rocket to the moon. I watched it in the middle of the night on TV. All I still can say is WOW !

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It never gets old watching the launches. Yes, the astronauhts are brave and go through such grueling training. I'd never make it. Heck, I'd never make it as a Navy pilot. They have to climb out of a cage, they are strapped into, in the deep end of a swimming pool. Yikes! Just the thought makes me nervous.

Of course, living in FL with all our water and canals, we watch training on TV on how to get out of a car sinking in water. People die that way here all the time.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I know shuttles are supposed to land here, I listen for the boom(s).

I went to the Paris Air Show in 1989 and saw the Russian space shuttle parked on top of a 747. It looked just like ours.

The space programs have been enormously expensive but I believe we have had some valuable spin-off technology which has come from them. We can thank them for Velcro :)

Love, Mikie