Watching myself get fatter and fatter... and cravings!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onedaysoon, May 9, 2009.

1. onedaysoon

onedaysoon New Member

I want to cry! I keep getting and fatter and I don't know what to do. To add to it I get cravings that I try to control, but it is so hard.

I really do not even eat that much. But, I lay and sit around all day and get no exercise. I am rarely hungry, but I get craving and eat anyway. Though, it is still not much. If I was not sick and had just a desk job what I eat would not be enough for that mild life.

But, I keep gaining and I look at myself in the mirror and want to cry. What is hapening to me. I feel like I am being kicked while I am down. Not only being sick and always feeling miserable, but I am turning into a fat person I don't recognize.

The worst thing is I don't even get the luxury of getting fat with yummy cakes and cookies. This is from mostly healthy stuff, not junk. I could only imagine what I would be like if I did get to enjoy junk.

I don't know what to do. I can't exercise, at least no where near enough to loose weight or gain muscle. At the beginning I thought weight wise it wasn't that bad, it will be ok. I gained more weigh and then thought the same... now don't know what to do.

I know no one can magically help me, but I guess I needed to vent in hopes of... something :(.

2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Hi, I don't know how long you've been ill, but in the first few years after I got this I gained from 106 to 175 pounds. I had never had a weight problem in my life and I was 38 years old and had 4 kids.

I am totally inactive but I managed to lose weight over the last few years by following the USDA food guide pyramid. It's on-line. It took a long time, the weight came off slowly, but I was in no hurry. I figured I had a lot of time. LOL.

It is not a diet but a guide for better eating habits. I still eat some sweets but not the way I used to. I haven't given up any foods and don't seem to have any food allergies or sensitivities except I can't eat some types of veggies, especially beans and cabbage, and I love them both. Of course, if we could exercise, we'd lose faster but if you can't , you can't. I love to ride exercise bikes but can't anymore.

It takes awhile but at least I am going in the right direction now. I feel good about that. I seldom weigh myself now. I just wear smaller clothes and that's good. I'm sure I'll never be tiny again but I was too thin before anyway. LOL. Hope this will help you. Don't give up and don't be down on yourself. Good luck. Also, I used to have food cravings all the time because I ate too much sugar, but when I cut it out completely I felt even worse. I think moderation is the key. This is what works for me. GB66

[This Message was Edited on 05/10/2009]
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I was above average physical shape before I got sick. I was a workoutaholic. I used to workout two and a half hours a day at the gym, then I'd come home and do another half hour later on. I loved it and I looked buffed up. Since getting sick, I have gained 139 pounds. I've ballooned up to a size 3x. And it doesn't let me exercise.

Definitely work on getting hormone levels tested and don't stop until they give you real answers. I have Hashimoto's and I think I've had it for most of my life. They just didn't finally see it in the bloodwork till I was about thirty. Any hormone imbalance can balloon you up. And it can fatigue you. And they will keep insisting your bloodwork is normal when it isn't. Keep fighting for answers.

What drives me crazy is, I've always eaten less than everyone and I don't eat fattening foods, at least not often. And here I am a baby whale.
  4. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

I hate myself! (or atleast the way i look!) i weighed a healthy 135 pounds when i first got sick, and now am pushing 170!

everytime i go to the doctor each month, i weigh atleast 3-5 more pounds! it is so depressing.

i also have the sweets cravings, but don't eat any different than i ever have before.

i have to wonder if something is going on?

i still work, a fairly physical job, at that. i tried to start exercising, but alas, my pain levels shot up, and i didn't want to keep doing it.

i need some help.

if it is a thyroid problem, are there meds that can help to prevent the weight gain?

sorry you are feeling bad too, hopefully we can figure something out.
  5. 3gs

3gs New Member

I was told my metabolism was slow,so maybe we don't digest right.

I hardly eat and keep thinking my weight has to be dropping,but nope. Read if you are craving foods then that means you are allergic to them?

This dd sure keeps us jumping thru the hoops. Don't be to discouraged there's more of youto love.:)
  6. ulala

ulala New Member

by the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) diet. Please read this post from this site.

Many people are helped and have put themselves into remission with diet. I was one of them. I was in remission for years but then stress and eating what I wanted made me sick again. Also read posts on this site by user name MATN. I just started the scd diet and my stomach is already going down.

Good luck!
  7. sascha

sascha Member

we can't exercise (seemingly- meaning this is the conviction i've had for a number of years now, because whenever i do try there is a flare-up of symptoms- seems as though my body is screaming at me to STOP). we can't do much and have a lot of time. we have to eat, so food is always part of our every day. and weight can creep on, and creep and creep, while muscles atrophy and day by day we see ourselves in the mirror, and yikes, we look older and fatter and clothes aren't fitting- and on it goes. UGH

i took major action well over a year ago- joined Food Addicts in Recovery- couldn't keep up with all their program- it's very demanding, but managed to hang in there for over three months and dropped 35 pounds (learned a lot about foods, too). this was immensely empowering for me, to manage this in the midst of cfids. i had to stop even the compromised participation in the program, then went on valcyte and really dropped out of everything. the weight started coming back on; i gained back 20 pounds. well upshot was/is that i did learn some things from the program. i've always been quite a chow hound, but because of inactivity these days, i can't eat the way i used to.

i am gradually dropping weight again, finding my own way to do it. the cravings i have for carbs and sugar are there only when i have carbs and sugar. the cravings disappear when i stay away from such foods. i think each person has different issues with particular foods and has to find what works best for him/her. for me, i need to stay off wheat and gluten, and most dairy. and key for me is to have smaller portions. in fact, even weirder is that i found i could change my die-hard views of breakfast- now i have some pro-biotics (a few tablespoons from a bottle), some raw nuts and some fruit, then
    eat moderately the rest of the day. this is working for me right now. i'm down six pounds with goal of losing ten pounds for my first stage. then i can set my second goal and go after it slowly.

but i have an advantage right now because i'm a grandmother of twins, and i'm helping out. this has pushed me into a lot more physical activity which of course burns calories, and there isn't much time to eat, and i'm not that interested in food when around the twins. that helps!

what i found out is how good i feel about myself when food thing is under control and i can see progress in losing weight, and i can start wearing clothes better again. it's such an accomplishment. i hope you can find little tricks to help yourself along the way, and can start seeing progress. foster belief that there IS something you can find to help yourself in this area- that you CAN make changes on your own behalf, and >> good luck- Sascha
  8. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

2 years in a wheelchair turned me into a little pudge-muffin.
    I feel so stupid for being careless & letting this happen.

I know how ya feel. It sux.

I'm struggling to regain control.

You're definitely not alone with this!!!!
  9. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

that letter could have been written by me, they are my sentiments exactly. I have been diagnosed with fm and between the lack of movement and medications kaboom twice the size and almost giving birth again it seems.....

What can we do?????

angel hugs to us all

10. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

can be avoided, by two things:
    1) serving yourself about one half of what you think you would normally eat, and
    2) eating a high protein diet, which seem unyieldy at first, but basically, eggs for breakfast (plus pumpkin seeds, v. small portion of wholegrain bread, lunch canned fish, cold meat, salads,small amounts cheese and normal dinner of meat with as many veg as you like (nothing deep fried) and no sweets, virtually no fruit either. You will lose weight. Cheers TN
    PS No soda either.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/11/2009]
  11. satchya

satchya New Member

This is a good safe place to vent, so I hope you feel free to vent here if that's what you need to do.

If you're looking for some advice, though, feel free to scroll down ;). . . .

After I had my third child, I was so sick and tired of being fat. I felt out of control of my eating. Like an alcoholic but with food. I kept trying to "take control" of my cravings but I kept falling off the wagon. What I finally had to do was just not bring anything I couldn't "control" my addiction to into the house in the first place. I got my husband on board with this, and I did it ALL THE WAY. I never so much as set foot in the grocery store by myself without him by my side for over a year.

There were no chips in the house, no ice cream, no cookies, no brownie mix, no cheez-its, no Easter Candy --we hid baby carrots in plastic eggs that year, my mother in law was appalled!!. I literally treated myself the way a recovering alcoholic would. I still remember one night when I had just started my period and I was craving chocolate and ice cream and fat and sweets so bad and I had gotten in the shower to help my cramps and when I got out of the shower my husband had called in a to-go order of a hot caramel apple skillet with vanilla ice cream from TGI Fridays for me (since we had nothing in the house). I enjoyed every last bite of that like I hadn't enjoyed anything before in my life.

I also started exercising every other day. Just gentle exercise. I started with the Walk Away the Pounds Express DVD's. I started with the 1 mile and 2 mile set, and then eventually worked my way up to the 3 mile one. Then I joined the gym and the rest is history. That's actually when I was diagnosed with fibro, when I realized I wasn't able to recover like the other women in my classes and was having weird pain compared to them (the doctor originally thought it was RA.)

I lost 50 pounds in a couple of years. It was a long process, and it was hard work. But it took confronting my demons and admitting that I was a foodaholic and that I couldn't be trusted to have it in the house, just like an alcoholic can't have beer in the fridge.
  12. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I was gaining weight and eating very healthy so I went to a dietitian to get help because it didn't make any sense. Here's what I found out, it wasn't what I was eating, I was what I was drinking. We figured between the gatorade, juice and all the other sports drink and whatnot I was drinking, I was consuming anywhere from 400 to 800 calories a day just in liquid refreshment.

Do you drink a lot of soda or gatorade? When you drink juice, do you drink the recommended 6 ounces or do you drink a big glass? Just an idea since I was so surprised when I found out what I was drinking was my problem. Since I have cut out guzzling gatorade (up to 64 oz a day which is 400 calories) I have lost 17 lbs. I still need to lose a lot more but it's a start. I gained a total of 60 lbs in about 9 months from not being very mobile and drinking a ton of calories.

13. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I gained all the way up to 204 pounds when I got sick 3 1/2 years ago. I was 104 8 years ago and 164 when I became sick.

My sex life went down to nill, I am embarassed to be in plus sized clothing and to be classified as OBESE! AHHRG!!!

It was not until 4 weeks ago that I suddenly decided this can not go on! Believe me, I can not walk very far and moving much is out of the question! I am really homebound with this CFS.

It has not been easy, and it is still a struggle for me every day. I am, however 12 pounds lighter than I was 4 weeks ago. I am sticking to a 1200 calorie diet and writing every bite down in a journal that my husband is welcome to check.

I have started to do easy & slow stretching and strengthening excersises that I didn't think I could ever do again. Just a little at a time.

To me , this is really worth the effort!

Obviously, I still have a very long way to go but as another poster noted..... what do we have but time? Slow and easy and consistantly, you can do this too! It really helps your self esteem.

Good Luck,

[This Message was Edited on 05/12/2009]
  14. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

onedaysoon, would you please make a list of everything you eat in a week and post it in this thread, we'll then be able to offer some constructive advice regarding your food choices and intake and how to manage your weight issue.

Also what activity do you do on each of those days ? (anything involving movement counts as activity).

Also what medications (if any) are you taking ?
  15. rukiddingme57

rukiddingme57 New Member

I've been there, too. I lost 50 lbs. a few years ago. I was on zoloft which just added to the problem. I just don't think our bodies handle sugar properly. It doesn't get turned into energy, just fat. Donuts and goodies would just scream my name until I ate them. I switched to diet drinks, etc., Lean Cuisine for lunch, sugar free cookies, and titrated off of the zoloft (had to use liquid and come down sloooowwwww).

I've kept the weight off. I was on zoloft for 8 years - most of them at really low doses, from 12 to 6 mg. This was enough to keep the fibro and IBS under control.

I spent 2 weeks last summer at an educational institute. We stayed on campus at 2 universities and ate in the cafeterias. Did a lot of walking. Lost more weight - mainly because watching what the others ate just took my appetite away. I gained most of it back over Christmas, but have slowly taken it back off. It's not easy.

I really hate the lack of energy - my husband could try out for the energizer bunny - I just don't get where he gets it all from. I'm also very deficient in Vitamin D. But that's a whole 'nuther issue. Good luck and don't give up - it's definitely worth it!