Water Aerobics And Misc. Ramblings

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have started informal water aerobics here at our pool. I started on Fri. We don't have our pool super heated like the therapy pools but it's warm enough so that it doesn't cause muscle cramping. These are gentle exercises but I can definitely feel the results in my muscles. I was in a bit of a flare because I could not take my Guai for five days before, and one day after, my endoscopy. I'm on it now and things are back to normal. I love the water aerobics and plan on going three times a week.

For a day or two, I have been extremely tired and feeling fluish. Today, I am Herxing even though I've not taken the Doxy for more than a week. This sometimes happens after I stop the ABX and my own immune system takes over and goes on a killing spree. As I mentioned before, I had been on the Doxy for two cycles as I feared my recent gastric episode had made me run down and the mycoplasma infection was trying to reactivate. This Herx is good news as it means my own immune system is capable of killing the bacteria. Dr. Nicolson confirmed this for me in an e-mail.

My gastro doc mentioned that the gastric episode may have been caused by an infection like H-Pilori or E-Coli. I won't know til after my visit on the 11th when we get the results of the biopsy. I'll update y'all. It may just be that I've developed GERD. Sometimes, it's hard to tell where our infections end and our other conditions begin.

The water aerobics may be helping the lymph fluid to drain, carrying away some nasty dead beasties with it. The Herx may be from the dumping of all these toxic dead pathogens. I highly recommend the water aerobics for anyone who can tolerate them. I can do things, like running, in the water which I can't do on land. There is no pressure on my joints in the pool. Dr. Cheney has written that the water pressure and movement in a pool will help drain lymph fluid.

Love, Mikie
  2. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Well now, how can you write your book, if you are spending all your time in that pool!!

I'm thinking when I "come back", I want to be a Mermaid. Years ago was a lap swimmer, but could not get back to it after that hiatus (being a care-giver to MIL). I do miss the lap swimming but there is too much repetition using the muscles in the same manner even with changing strokes.

Six years ago approximately I started the aquatic classes. Because of the variety of ways to use the muscles, my muscles did not over-react.

You might know, I have been certified now for two years by the Aquatics Exercise Association in Nokomis Florida (is that near you?)

I most enjoy teaching a mind/body class incorporating aerobics, stretching, tai chi, yoga, and pilates with wonderful music, but also teach an Arthritis Foundation class.

Every day I work at the hospital, I MUST work out to loosen every muscle in my body impacted from sitting at the computer all day. So from the hospital, I go to the gym. I am teaching also on my days "off" right now a total of five classes per week.

Water, as you know, is a wonderful environment and I wish everyone could benefit from pool work...... not everyone would start at the level of working in the class. Some on the board, would have to start by just being in the water and relaxing. The hydrostatic pressure against the chest would be a challenge!

Enjoy, Mikie!

Fondly June
  3. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Isn't it wonderful.....

I am so stressed when I hit the pool, and so relaxed when I leave.

My students work hard aerobically (most can work at that level) but we do the tai chi, yoga, pilates and relaxation segment at the end, and they have COMPLETELY forgotten how hard they worked at the beginning when we finish.

Water, the fountain of ________________! So many answers.

Fondly, June
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so glad that working out in the water helps others. I've been doing it, plus Tai Chi and Yoga, on my own for a long time, but it's more fun with a group. I swam some laps when the class was done. I love swimming laps and am most fond of the breast stroke because it is so smooth and gentle. I can do other strokes and use them too. Didn't learn to swim until I was 16 and now, I'm like a fish.

June, I don't know where Nakomis is. I'm in Ft. Myers on the Gulf side just north of Naples. Once I get caught up, I'll think, just think, about writing a book. Perhaps I might start with some articles to submit to magazines. That would be less overwhelming and more doable for me right now. Thanks for your reminders :) I'm so impressed with all you do. Makes me tired just to think about all that.

I missed two Italian classes while I was sick. I've been doing my lessons in the workbook trying to catch up. My condo looks like a bomb went off in it after "Hurricane Andy" blew through :) I had such a good time with the kids but this time, I was really too tired to make the most of the visit.

Love, Mikie

5. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

The water is so therapeutic that it is a plus..., work however is on the minus side....draining.... Our health insurance is through my work, otherwise, I would really be evaluating continuing to work.

I try to imagine that the water cancels out the working..... as far as stressors go.

The bigger problem is keeping up with the house... which I have not over the past year. Which is NOT why the house fell apart, but it did.

One of the kitchen cabinets took off, (maybe it WAS that I never got up there to clean it--the one over the frig.) Others are coming down on their own. It took me two years to get the plans finalized and order cabinets and find flooring. We ended up with enough samples at home, we covered the dining room floor.

This coming Wednesday, the floor guy starts. ALL the carpeting is coming up, which I believe really has been contributing to my not feeling well. Not to mention allergies to dust, dander etc..... that the carpet holds onto.

The cabinets will take seven weeks to arrive. Then that guy goes to town, we will be without our kitchen for awhile.

I have no idea what to do with the dog, as she won't let anyone it the house and I cannot stay out of work that long.

And I am trying to find a mother of the groom dress and must have tried on over 200 so far--- not exaggerating there--- no luck. I am a wreck over that.

We will have family staying with us for the week, arriving after Christmas and staying after the wedding, my grandchildren and their parents. As thrilled as I am having them come, you know how draining that is going while trying to prepare for the wedding.

I am stressed. I have taken off Thursday next week to try to find some direction.....

After the first of the year, I will zone a bit, but Mike will be returning to Iraq in June.... I just cannot get a break in the stress department.

This is why I love the water. But I need to LIVE in it.

Thanks for listening.

Love, June

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Your plate is piled HIGH! I'll keep you in my prayers. You need time to de-stress.

I kept working until I just could no longer do it. I think if I had quit sooner, I would not have gotten so sick but there is only me and I thought I had to keep going. I hope and pray you do not have this happen to you.

I keep hoping I will get better enough to work part time. Each time I get better, something happens. I am hoping this GERD thing goes away. I don't know whether it will get better or just stay. At least, coffee and red wine do not seem to make it worse. The red wine actually seems to make it better.

If I can't go back to work, I'll figure something out. I know, I know--write the book :)

Take care and pace yourself. I pray for your family too, especially for protection for you son in Iraq.

Love, Mikie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It was actually my eye doc who told me to drink a beer or glass of wine every day. I have high pressure in my eyes but do not have Glaucoma. He said the alcohol was good for reducing the pressure. I told him that was medical advice I could live with :)

I've been adding things back into my diet and so far, nothing has caused a problem, not even chocolate. The only thing I haven't added back in yet is cooked tomatoes. I have some V-8 juice and will give it a try.

Yesterday, my fever returned and I immediately went back on the Doxy. I am very weak today but the gastric symptoms are much improved. I'm anxious to go to the followup visit to see what the biopsy showed, if anything.

Here's to your health (gulp, gulp :)

Love, Mikie