Water Exercise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elizajane40, Sep 1, 2005.

1. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

Has anyone had luck with water aerobics?
    I am beginning to feel better and needs to exercise.
    However, I have not been able to exercise in a very long
    time. Any advise on how to start out slowly would be great! I'm not even really ready for walking yet.

Thanks!
  2. SingFMAway

SingFMAway New Member

you're not really feeling up for walking.

My husband and I belong to a gym that has a lap pool, therapy pool and hot tub. Ahhhh! Last winter when I couldn't get my arms over my head and my feet really hurt, I got in the therapy pool with one of those floaty noodles or something, so I could at least move around.

The therapy pool was wonderful because it is heated (88 F I think), and because of the low impact nature of moving in water. I just kicked around for several weeks to a few months until I felt as though I were ready to do a little more with my arms.

Finally, I have been able to return to swimming laps in the big pool. I have to be aware, though, because I can over do it. I think I over did it the other day, and I'm paying for it. Chiropractor tomorrow, yay!

Be nice to yourself. I wouldn't join a class or anything, yet. I don't feel ready for that, either. But getting in the water and moving your body is the best thing you can do for yourself. (Well.... one of the best things.) If there's a hot tub to spend a few minutes in afterward, it's wonderful. Be sure to drink plenty of water before and after swimming, because your muscles need it for recovery.

Best of luck,'
    SingFMAway
  3. SingFMAway

SingFMAway New Member

4. DonnaSR

DonnaSR New Member

I started out slowly after doing physical therapy in the water. Then I joined a class. We do aerobics and strength training in the water. You only do as much as you can. No pressure. I have been doing it over a year now.

I was slow at first, a lot heavier, but now I am 45 lbs lighter, and really move in the water!!! If I am so inclined, I can also swim up to a half mile. (Usually if the pool water is warmer-the gym only keeps the water around 82-84 degrees, a bit cool for me believe it or not.)

Good luck, and remember this-the water is better for your joints and muscles, and what you do in the water is almost double what you do on land.

Donna
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

When I was working, I would stop at a center that offered the water aerobics - I think it was offered by the Arthritis Foundation.

The water was warm and when you told the instructor that you were new, she might tell you to do fewer of certain exercises at first until you got warmed up!

But they were great!! Those are the ONLY type of exercises that i can do, because I can not walk well or stand up long, but being in the water changes everything.

There were offered in a fabulous pool - it had a deep end and I liked to do the exercises in the deeper end vs. the 3 or 4 ft. end.

Try it, you'll love it!

Janet