Water Purity

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Does anyone know if the chlorine that is dumped in municipal water (plus all the other filtration they do) is sufficient to remove bacteria, parasites and all other "bad stuff" (or for that matter, living stuff thought by the experts to be "neutral" or "good")?

I have been using the Brita jug for quite some time now. This was after a chemistry professor here at Northwestern told me that he had done substantial research on the pitcher and that it was extremely effective at removing pretty much every heavy metal that we are likely to encounter.

(The exception is arsenic, which thankfully does not seem to be a problem in most places. I believe it is still a problem in much of New Mexico--at least it was a couple of years ago--and so people there probably would do well to drink bottled water until/unless the problem is fixed.)

However, this colleague is a chemist, and he didn't say anything about living things in the water.

I have been working really hard recently to get bacteria and other bad stuff out of my body recently, and it suddenly struck me that maybe I should be boiling the water as well as filtering. Hopefully I don't have to, though.

BTW, the reason this chemist was studying the Brita pitcher is because, due to mining for uranium in the Four Corners reservation (a large piece of land at the junction of New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Utah), the water supply there is extremely polluted with uranium, lead, radioactive lead and arsenic (amongst other heavy metals). The metals congregate together, which is why when one is released into the water supply, the others tend to be too. (The contamination of the water was confirmed by government scientsts and buried somewhere on the Internet.)

A few of the people in the reservation drink municipal water, but most drink groundwater. They boil it before they use it, but the mineral content causes huge amounts of mental retardation, cancer and other illnesses.

This would be a hugely expensive problem for the government to fix, and so it is ignored. My colleague was hoping that the distribution of the pitchers would alleviate the problem (except for ones caused by arsenic), but due to language barriers and suspicion about the positive intentions of white people, the idea never has been put into place.

I guess I bring this up to note that there are people in the U.S. who are just as bad off and even more ignored than suffers of CFS/fibro. I sometimes think about this when I get frustrated that the government isn't "doing more" to help me.

The government should be doing more to help a lot of people. It's not just us.

Meanwhile, does anyone have any thoughts about water?
  2. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I learned my lesson a while back about our local tap water. I have a habit of leaving water hanging around in cups for a few days...and I took a look at it as I was carrying one to the kitchen...and there was SLUDGE at the bottom of the cup. Sediment, sludge, whatever you want to call it. It was nasty.

So I quit drinking tap water, except for when I absolutely have to, and then those times I usually get sickish from it. I'd rather deal with that though, then drink water that tastes like mildew (which comes from the fridge). The filter isn't supposed to need changed yet, and my parents can't taste any difference, but it definitely did not taste like mildew when we first got it...so I'm pretty sure our local water is rancid.

Bottled water may be more expensive but Mmmmmmm it tastes cleeaaaaan. <3
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

kind of water filter it works great you can then choose whatkind of you filter you want oy ucan pick one up for about 40.00. charlene
  4. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Interesting Post! I have wondered this same thing about the chlorine in our water. The chlorine is so strong in our water you can smell and taste it. What are the side effects of this?

I use to work for a water company (Rainsoft) and we would provide free testing for tap water and I was in shock at all of the impurities that were in the water.

I was in charge of all scheduling and through my time spent working there I learned from alot of customers and for my own eyes that it was not worth the money to have a water treatment system put in place.

Customers were always advised to have their carbon replaced and this owner would not do it just to save him money. There were a few customers that have gotten very ill from drinking tap water.

For the past several years we have spent so much money on buying bottled water and just recently I have decided to try tap water again.

Carolin
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The Brita jug does a wonderful job at removing the chlorine. The water really tastes great.

And I'm a water connoisseur, too. One time my husband had me do a blind taste test with eight types of water, and I nailed all of them. A skill left over from my days of enjoying wine.....which, unfortunately, I can no longer use since I am allergic to the mold in wine.

Anyway, I feel reasonably safe in terms of the chemicals in the water, after it's been filtered through the jug (and as long as you change the filters).

It's the potential of living organisms that concerns me.

Thoughts?
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

BTW, I can leave filtered tap water in the bottom of the brita pitcher for weeks (as I have done when on vacation) and never see even anything resembling "sludge.'

Your experience may vary depending on what's in your water, though.

I think mine is from Lake Michigan, treated however they do it. I'd think there would need to be a lot of processing done before you could drink that.

At least they've cleaned up the poisons that used to be in that lake.....although now I wonder whether there's stuff in it other than what is filtered out through the jug.

The chemist who studies these things said that he and his wife use the brita jug, though. Presumably he has thought this all through. I hope.