Water Tablets

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I started taking a herbal water tablet yesterday.

I recall someone here saying that water tablets wash out essential minerals - is this the same for herbal tablets.

Is there a safe amount to take? I retain so much fluid.

Thanks.

love
    Rosie
  2. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I have a horrible problem with water retention. My legs were so swollen last Monday that I couldn't get certain pants on, and I was in the most horrible pain.

Water tablets are not something mess with because they can wash out essential minerals... even the herbal ones because they don't replace the electrolytes in your system and besides you could dehydrate yourself and end up very sick.

I suggest you talk to your doctor, really. I gain almost 20 pounds last weekend of fluid and my rheumy was very nervous. He increased my "diuretic -Lasix" and I'm now down over 10 pounds. When it was that high he said it was nothing to mess with because if your body holds onto that water it could cause "congestive heart failure". That scared me because I remembered my Mom having that.

This is no easy ride and each one of us "flares" differently. I have my regular flares, which are bad. Then I get the "super flares" and that is when I swell. We don't know which comes first either... the flare or the swelling. All I know is when the super flare hits it lasts too long and I just wish they would shoot me.

I hope you tell your doctor about this.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

My Mum had congested heart failure and was in hospital last year.

I swell a lot when I have a really bad flare too and I'm just coming out of one that lasted for months. I dont swell as much as you do though, that must be awful.

I'll take your advice and speak to my doctor.

Sometimes I wish they'd shoot me too ha ha.

Sorry you are having so many problems.

love Rosie
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I take Lasix, a water pill, for congestive heart failure.

If I were you and thought you needed a water pill, I would consult my doctor before I started taking them, whether they are herbal or not.

When you take water pills, it depletes your system of potassium--a needed mineral for your heart to function properly.

You also need to determine WHY you are retaining water.

It's better to be safe than sorry!

Hugs,
    janet
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

yes I'll take you and Tigger's advice and talk to my doctor first.

Don't want to make myself worse.

love
    Rosie