Water Therapy and Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sfrazier, Jun 13, 2006.

1. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have started water therapy and love every minute that i'm in the water. I almost feel like i use to. It was only my second time today but it was still great. Now my question for this is the other people who have done water therapy, do you continue to feel good hours later or do you start hurting worse after wards. First time I only needed a couple of extra darvocet but tonight it the pain was much worse i would be at the hospital. Is this the way it's suppose to be???

Okay second question is do any of you walk around some days like a drunken sailor? That is the only way I can put it. I try to walk straight but I weave and trip over things that aren't there. Is this part of Fibro or a nice little side effect from the drugs that I take.

Anyone that can help would really be appreciated. The more I know the better prepared for whatever comes my way.

Alos got good news today. My attorney is going to file an appeal with the court of appeals. My court hearing the finding was unfavorable but the judge said that I was over stating my symptoms just to get disability. And on that basis he would not take into consideration what my doctor said since I was the one over stating and he was just taking my word for it. Anyways going to refile while they are waiting on the appeal.

Anyways anything you guys can tell me I would really appreciate since i'm considering myself a newbe even after two years. Thanks.....SueF
    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2006]
  2. pinsnneed1es

pinsnneed1es New Member

fall asleep after words.
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

Yes, I get funny gaits or go to one side at times.

In your water excercises...i would continue, but do not do all ......like only do it (whatever is being stretched or rotated) a couple of times instead of 5 times. Do not do anything that hurts.

In time you can do more and more. But do not rush it. You can stand and relax in the water as others are excercising when you are not able to do all.

Good Luck.....................Susan
  4. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know that i'm not the only one that is stumbling around in this world. This is a new side effect for me so wasn't really sure. Pool therapy is great and it's a one on one threapist till I get the hang of things and that is all we've been doing is the stretches. Last night was not good and neither is this morning. I took an extra does of soma last night and I still have an hour before i should be taking my regurlar pills but going to try and see what a davocet can do cause really bad pain today. I'm pretty sure that the reason for this is i didn't get to sit down and relax till about 7 last night and my pool time was at 3;15. I think I will take it easy the next day....SueF
  5. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Hey guys everyone said that water therapy is good and the first two times i went afterwards was fine but after the third time I am in some massive pain and have been for over a week. I'm now taking my darvocet 4 times a day and my soma two times a day. I can barly walk cause my legs and hips hurt so badly. Is this from the water therapy or do you think i'm just going through a relapse (can't remember the right word there. Thanks for anyones answers, suggestions or help.....Sue
  6. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I had the same problem you had and I have never gone back to water-therapy. I think I had a problem because I would do the whole hour of exercise. I would like to go back and just do maybe 20 min. and then quit, and see if that makes a difference.

Maybe it was just too long of a session.

Take care, Sally
  7. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

I don't do water therapy but i get in a hot tub twice a day for 20 minutes to relax. if i miss a few days when i start again the pain is worse for a few days. angel
  8. Keeshondmom

Keeshondmom New Member

Before commiting to a water exercise program make sure its the right one for you. Many YMCA'S offer Deep Water Aquasize where you wear a bouancy belt in the deeper end of the pool which is much less impact than pounding the bottom of the pool. Also make sure your program includes a warm up stretching portion and a good cool down. Avoid the 25 minute cardio sessions as that encourages you work beyond what your body can safely do.

Lastly, try to find a program that has an instructor who has a background in physical education and can guide you in modifying the moves for your overall condition.

If you are participating in the right class, you will find that after a month or so you will be able to manage your pain much better, and your self esteem will sore.

9. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

My worry is that I do my water therapy at the hospital and so far all I have done is stretches and walking across the pool a few time and the go into the deep water for about 5 minutes to tread water somewhat with a float around my waist. That is why I am wondering if this is a flare or from the water threapy. When they have me do leg stretchs she said that all she wanted me to feel was a pull on my mucle and if it hurt then i was over doing it. I've decided to give it another try this thursday. See if my be the water will ease some of the burning pain in my legs and the pull on my underarms. Oh well they say that, that which does not kill you only makes you stronger. Guess by now most of us should be super hero since we are dead yet. lol......SueF
  10. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

the water therapy classes yesterday, as part of my physical therapy program.

I work as the office coordinator for the physical therapy dept. where I am receiving treatment.
    I was instructed to limit all my movements to 15-30 seconds and at a slow pace.
    That was more than enough and I was pooped after 40 min.so did not do the full hour of class.
    Went into the warm water pool after to relax for 5 min..

Only do as much as you feel comfortable with doing.
    Your response will vary from session to session, especially in the beginning.

I am one of those drunken sailors too, especially when it is hot and humid.
    Makes me weak and lightheaded.

Good luck.
    Pammy