Water Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Harmony, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Harmony

Harmony New Member

I want to encourage as many of you can to get in the water. This has been so helpful to me. I just got back from going, and it was so nice. It's the only exercise I can do and the water will feel so good to your aches and pains. It lifts your spirits too. Find a pool where you can go year round. Some hospitals even have pools for therapy and your Dr. can prescribe it. You don't have to be a good swimmer. Just walk in the water, kick your legs and move around. I can walk in the water, but not on land.
    Make sure where you go, the water is at least 84deg. I joined the YMCA. Trust me, if you haven't tried it, it is great therapy and so important.

Love,
    Harmony
  2. Harmony

Harmony New Member

I want to encourage as many of you can to get in the water. This has been so helpful to me. I just got back from going, and it was so nice. It's the only exercise I can do and the water will feel so good to your aches and pains. It lifts your spirits too. Find a pool where you can go year round. Some hospitals even have pools for therapy and your Dr. can prescribe it. You don't have to be a good swimmer. Just walk in the water, kick your legs and move around. I can walk in the water, but not on land.
    Make sure where you go, the water is at least 84deg. I joined the YMCA. Trust me, if you haven't tried it, it is great therapy and so important.

Love,
    Harmony
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

A community center near me has special classes for people with FMS. They only last about 30 minutes and are once a week, which is probably about all I could handle to begin with.

I also met a woman on a flight home from Orlando last month who teaches water therapists. I wrote to her and she has posted on a message board for me and I'm getting responses every day. I want something near to my home and preferably in water that is truly warm - above 92 degrees.

The class at the Community Center begins in a couple of weeks so if nothing better comes up I'm going to try there.

Barbara
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Nova Care PT. I am suspended and the Pt has 12 different exersizes for me to do and even with resistance things you hold. I can't do the pools too cold. I tighten up. But, it is the greatest in my book. I'm in for an hour it is a one person pool and they even have jets. My doc gives me a script.

Take care, Kim
  5. Harmony

Harmony New Member

You're right, it does need to be as warm as can be. I like it about 90. The warmest the Y keeps it is 90 and that is in the winter. They don't let it get below 83 which is too cold to me. Although, I can't tolerate hot jacuzzi's. They effect my BP and pulse.

Barbara, the class you are starting for people with FMS sounds great and Kim, the Nova Care therapy pool sounds great too. I tried joining the class they have at the Y but it was too much for me. I couldn't keep up, so I just do my own thing and go when I can.
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I go to the rehab pool where I work and take aquatherapy three days a week. When I'm in water (pool or tub) I feel absolutely NO pain~~~this is the only time I can say this. Warm water RULES!!!
    Love,
    Kady
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

I found they do have a water therapy class that combines a lot of things I was looking for, including watsu. Then I asked what the water temp was and they told me 83! I said, "Too cold for me," and left!

Barbara
  8. wheatstalk

wheatstalk New Member

This is the single most important thing I do to keep myself going. Water under 92, to me, is counterproductive however. I tighten up worse than I was when I came. Our hospital has a pool used for PT but they also sponsor arthritis program water exercise under their wellness program. Our instructors are all certified by Arthritis Foundation.

I urge anyone who has access to a warm-water pool to try it.

Blessings,
    Chris