Way OT HELP European Fire Ants all over my yard

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaDove, Jul 31, 2006.

1. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I was wondering if any of you have the honor of being invaded by a giant red ant that bites (stings?)???

As far as we can figure out, they are European Fire Ants, introduced to Maine in the 50's but colonies found on the coast since 2002...

Hubby was out watering my son's garden and got bit on the leg, when he looked down he saw ALL OF THESE RED ANTS...He ran in claiming they were Fire Ants (ya know like the ones in Florida)but we are in Maine, duh! So I made him google "red ant Maine" and wouldn't ya know it, they have become an issue in Maine...I live about 40 miles from the coast but I am quite certain this is the European Fire Ant.

Hubby picked one out of the grass and squished him enough to come in and look under a microscope. It seems some University up here wants anyone who suspects these ants to send them a sample...Oh yeah, did I forget to say they have tried everything to kill the colony but they keep coming back SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO now what do I do...

I have 2 labs and I will set this place on fire to kill them before I allow these buggers to hurt my babies...Okay, sounds drastic but I will do something that will kill them, I swear it...tehe

I don't like chemicals of any kind and being they are near my raised veggie beds I really would rather not use anything harsh...So far I ran out with two plates full of baking soda and sugar...It worked on the carpenter ants, in one day they were all gone...We had discussed tips on here a few weeks ago and it really worked!!!

Has anyone had any experience with these? How did you handle them? I appreciate your time...

Thanks~Alicia
  2. Casamadre5

Casamadre5 Member

When I lived in Texas it was a common occurence. I had the best luck boiling a kettle of water and pouring it into the anthill. Gets 'em every time. Sorry for the pain these caused you. They do feel like fire when they bite! And so quickly!
  3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

It's on the stove now...

If I canget out before the thunderstorms start, I will let you know what happens...

Thanks casamadre for the advice and thanks fight for bumping overnite...Appreciate it!!!
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

For your fireants. This uis what you do, get a couple of shovels of dirt from one nest and put it on another nest and visa versa till you have done this on each nest. They should go away. It interfers with the territorial signals. You may have to do this again the day after. I am told it works really well and of course uses no chemicals.

Love Anne Cromwell
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

For your fireants. This uis what you do, get a couple of shovels of dirt from one nest and put it on another nest and visa versa till you have done this on each nest. They should go away. It interfers with the territorial signals. You may have to do this again the day after. I am told it works really well and of course uses no chemicals.

Love Anne Cromwell
  6. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

For the info...

Hubby and I went out this morning and we now have a real dilemma...

One nest MUST be in our raised garden bed...They are traveling from the middle of the yard (no visible nest) to the raised bed and climbing in between the landscape ties into the dirt...

There is no way to get to them unless we dismantle the entire bed...The more we look at this, the more we think the original nest came from an azalea bush we got at WalMart, they seem to be coming out of it along with 2 other types of ants...

Moving the dirt from nest to nest and the boiling water ideas are very helpful tips tho, when the weather clears, we will try these and see what happens...

I hate to think that my boys could be stung by these nasty things...I have to fix this problem quick...

Thanks for the advice!!!
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

It also occurs to me you could get a shovel of any anthill and dump it over both those others, even one from next door.

Love Anne C
  8. jarjar

jarjar New Member

If worse comes to worse use Amdro. You sprinkle some around the mound in the evening. At night they come out and take it inside their nest and feed it to the queen as well as themselves.

Presto they are history as they think they are eating something yummy.

I very seldom have any in my yard anymore. Wonder if it is due to the fly's they brought into Texas that kill them.

jar
  9. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Thanks dncn, anne and jar for taking the time to respond...Anne, thank you twice...tehe

I went out this morning and couldn't find NOT ONE red ant but I did find the little black buggers nest that was 'drawing' the red ones yesterday...I used a kettle of hot water and whacked all them, that was fun!!!

We expect storms all day and hubby said they may all be in their nest due to that (are ants that smart and afraid of thunder?) I will go out when I can and attempt to track down their nest...

In the meantime, hubby has a dead one that he will send to UMaine to test...I can't imagine that this is a BIG deal but I guess it is...We have trouble here with strange asian fish as well as milfoil in our waters, so anything foreign they like to know about asap and try to eradicate it before more problems arise...

Maybe they should introduce some of those flying things here like Jar said...I just hope they don't start spraying here for these insects like they do in NY and FL...I have enough probs without inhaling that stuff...

I'll keep you informed of what happens next...Sad that this is the highlight of my day, isn't it?
  10. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Thanks for the laugh...

You are not alone tho...After I first posted it, I looked at it as it came on the board and said to myself ~ EUROPEAN FINE ART

Now that's funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny!!!
  11. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Went out this morning and no red ants...

Came back out this evening and there they are traveling through my boys garden again...We were diligent and decided to not go back in until we found their nest(s)...We found it, well hubby did...It was next to the fence post...There they were traveling with eggs and the queens and hubby and I had allready decided to try the boiling water, so we took the boys in and started the tea kettle and the coffeemaker.

We hit the nest first and then followed the well defined trail but couldn't find EXACTLY where they were going but we got many of them and will check again tomorrow.

ANd yes, most definetely they are the European Fire Ant, hubby got a magnifying glass and compared to one on the website...Those lil buggers have a stinger and man does it hurt.

My oldest boy pees on that spot daily, I can't believe he wasn't bitten...He has severe allergies and I am sure they would have done a number on him...My darling hubby had a nightmare lastnite that Dylan came in the house covered in these ants and he couldn't get them off of him...How awful!!!

So the saga continues...Hope the rains come tonite and drown the rest...tehe
  12. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I live in England and we do not have any problems like the Red Ant!
    At least I dont think so lol.

But we do have the ordinary ants that are in the garden come into the house sometimes and are just so annoying!

BUT.............I think the best advice you have had here is the one that I use ALL the time during the sumer months when the ants are bad.................Is THE BOILING WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cruel but effective.

Rena