Way OT painting kitchen/grt rm- color, crackle finish/antiquing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Oct 30, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I am contemplating repainting my great room/kitchen combination eventually, since it looks like it's not going to sell anytime soon; so we are thinking about just redoing some things for ourselves ... we are out in the country, so I have tried to keep it sort of 'sophisticated country'.

I'm not sure how far we'll go with remodeling, but I'm wondering if a crackle finish would still be "in" for a country look? - or do you think that's going to look really dated in a few more years?

-- OR should I just rub an antiquing finish over it all? - it's mostly painted finishes as it is. I still see mainstream ads for kitchens/cabinets that have the antiquing...

Either way, along with maybe flyspecking some paint, etc, it will hide the dirt, hehe, just perfect for us with these dang darling dogs inside!

Thanks all,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 10/30/2006]
  2. Britt2

Britt2 New Member

I think that if done right, that has the best look....it add's texture and depth to the walls. (and can hide imperfections well too!)

Good luck!!
  3. cct

cct Member

Hi Victoria,

I was an interior designer (for 25 years) in Aspen and Vail Colorado before I contracted this DD. So, I am giving you my professional opinion!

Of course, it is your home and you have to live there, so you should do what appeals to you. However, if you are trying to sell your house, it is best to keep things neutral in order to appeal to the largest group of potential buyers.

Here is what I would suggest:

Crackle finish is good on smaller items. I would not suggest it on an entire wall.

The antique finish and/or the flyspeck finish would be a better choice.

You may want to look at several current interior design magazines for an overall general idea on what is good for today's home.

4. victoria

victoria New Member

So, 2 to 0 for antiqued is the score, I think I agree... I've been looking at magazines and commercials on TV. The off-white antiqued finish on the 'furniture-look' cabinets is what I'm still seeing on high end, so think the painted finish will still be around for a while.

The room is neutral beige/white, has been for a long time actually. I still like it well enough in terms of color, altho I was thinking of maybe changing to more of a cream than beige, ie, with a gold creamy cast rather than brown. So, now to make up my mind about color, lol. I AM really liking the creams with the greens and reds; And so many fabrics have those colors in them...

But, since our dirt here in Georgia is a terra cotta color (close to clay flower pot color!), perhaps sticking with the brown/beige palette color may blend better... ?

Hmmm, I guess I have a bit of an internal war going with color actually!

all the best,
    Victoria

5. ckball

ckball New Member

Attempt number 3 for me to try to post this. Haveing technical issues.

Anyway, I would not crackle a wall. It looks better on small peices. Look into ventian plaster, if gives nice depth and texture with color variation.

Paint one wall a bolder color, make a feature wall. Look thru everybook you can get your hands on.

I love this part of the process when it comes to re deocorated. Get some poster board and a couple small qts of paint and see what you like.

I painted my living room and kitchen terra cotta and put blue cabinets in my kitchen. There are pictures on my before and after page on my site.

It still amazes me what I have done to this house and I still have DETAILS o finish. Does it ever get done,lol.

Have fun with it and its just paint. Carla
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

CARLA, thanks; I remember seeing the pictures of your house as you were doing it, can't remember if I saw the 'finished' pics but i do remember the colors (I tried to look on your website just now and clicked on 'my house' but no pics were there other than the stained glass in the window)

The colors could be really cool here .. sinceorange & terra cotta color in various intensities seems to be coming back in, including a 'light orange' (dare I say 'peach'?!, that's considered 80's!); so that could be a possibility... I need to keep it as light as possible to reflect light, it's a big room, without being too feminine.

(AND lol, the dogs could flyspeck everything on rainy days without me doing it.... just kidding - yuck, it would end up being way darker at the bottoms of the walls!)

Not sure about how easy it would be to clean venetian plastered walls tho? I need easily cleaned walls due to the dogs!

WREN - Thanks I agree; I wasn't thinking of crackling the walls themselves, but the built-in cabinets... of which there are many, and maybe the doors... I've tried crackling on a small scale, it does take some practice from what I've seen. They make it look so easy on TV, I think a lot of it is timing tho. I'm thinking antiquing would definitely be easier and look better, the more I think about it... but maybe a crackled chair or 2 would look good as you said.

Thanks all again, I appreciate any and all opinions, as ultimately we will be selling... don't want to make a huge mistake now...
    (I'm always amazed at people on TV shown looking at houses that are turned off by a paint color or even the owner's furniture!) so am attempting to keep it in the neutral range.

all the best,
    Victoria

7. johnston

johnston New Member

to read this until now because I was reading so much of the heal issues. However, I am glad I did! I have done one simple thing in my present kitchen: put some wall paper inside the wooden borders on my upper cabs and covered it with decoupage paste. Changed handles to black with silver trim. Took vinyl off floor and stained the cement. Work but great final product---does not show dirt at all! I left my upper cab white with a wallpaper in the center that has a black and white check with taupe french menu words in script. Then on the bottom since I hated those doors. No trim just three indentions like panels. I took a border and cut a french pig chef out behind him is a wall paneled like my cabs but has black diamonds down the center. So I changed Chef Piere on the pig to Rhonda. painted the cab indentions a light green like on the border and put three diamonds (cut out of the square wallpaper) down the center panel. I put Chef Rhonda pig on different levels of the bottom cab top/middle/lower areas. Then placed different paints that I smeared over the cabinet to kinda "antique" it. THen decoupage paste over my pigs. The bottom cabs don't show dirt like the white did. Hope this helps. Oh, we painted the kitchen the very, very lightest pale blue. I love it! Won't work for resale I know. BUT was cheap fixes for me to "live in" my kitchen now. Also, IKEA seems very, very reasonable on kitchens and has a kitchen planner. I notice you live in GA. IKEA is a really fun place to shop---plan to spend a day BUT they have a great cafe with good food to have your rest periods....Stay in touch. Rhonda
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

Sounds very cute! and a good solution to the cleaning problems!

Unfortunately I am dealing with the original owner-made cabinets, and they're all a slightly different size!!!!!!!! It's not noticeable if it's kept bland, I'd put some thin simple molding on them which looks fine ... but anything else we tried made the variability stand out.

Unfortunately too, they're just close enough in size to not look 'eclectic', just amateurish! And I'm not sure I want to buy new cabinets...

Altho we may buy simple painted ones if we decide to put new flooring in. Of course then I get into the whole thing of changing the kitchen layout as I hate it, lolol!

You know how if you change one thing, the problems multiply...?

I love the idea of staining cement, I'm trying to talk my husband into probably doing that in the family room downstairs, but the kitchen is over a basement :((

So I see you're in Peachtree City! There seems to be a good number of people here from Georgia & Atlanta area... are you going to the FFC?

all the best,
    Victoria
  9. johnston

johnston New Member

only two days into this....But, what is the FFC? I'm sure I could find the answer here somewhere, but I am lazy and just ask you :) Rhonda
    PS Do be sure to go online to IKEA if you haven't. It just has so many kitchen plans (33)I think, and it is fun to look and just see what you may be able to do on a cheaper level. And, I'm not kidding. I think IKEA is really cheap. And, no I don't work with them or linked with them in any way. I am simply a fan; and I was just so excited when we got one in Atlanta, as there is so much you can't order online but have to actually go to a store. They were all so very far away before. I couldn't even find any close to my relatives in Mphs, TN or Pensacola/Jacksonville FL
  10. ckball

ckball New Member

I know remodeling is a pain, if you do one thing, then something else needs to be done and on an on.

Go back to my web site and click on Before and After. Home is the page you were on Home for the site. It's ok, we all have an off day :)

I understand about the dogs and the walls. I greet my girls with a towel on the rainy days. I tell them to shake on the porch first. It works and they love for me to rub em down.

Simple things like chair rails or crown molding can make dramatic changes too. I had something else to add but have now forgotton- I have been gone all day running too many errands. Don't forget to take before and after pics-Carla
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

I am totally positive I clicked on your home site and it didn't work... but who knows... the page on the stainedglass site has so much on it, I might've just thought I was clicking on the right thing hehe... hey this is supposed to be a GOOD day for me, I'm gonna blame the internet!!!

You really did a great job on your house, quite a change! Don't know how you did it... were you living there while doing it all? If you were, well, I can definnitely see you'd have a reminder every day, giving you the incentive to finish. I've got a lot of books and clippings, just trying to figure out best neutral workable scheme so that it wouldn't be hard to sell ultimately.

RHONDA - FFC is the Fibro & Fatigue Center in Atlanta, it is part of a chain in major cities across US; there's quite a lot of people overall here going to them. Some have had success and some haven't it seems, but at least they'll do testing for lyme and mycoplasma plus a whole lot more...

Yeah, I will have to take a field trip one day to Atlanta's IKEA , I've been wanting to go for a while... just need to find a good day when everything falls into place for me!

Thanks!
    all the best,
    Victoria

12. victoria

victoria New Member

any more ideas?

Thanks,
    Victoria

13. johnston

johnston New Member

how far Athens is from Atlanta, and I do know how tiring a trip can be as well as being in Atlanta traffic!!! I didn't grow up in GA. Bama Girl, but lived about 17 yrs in Mphs before moving here. The traffic was such a "culture shock" for me. I wouldn't be surprised if the stress of moving here didn't set in the motion the final fm "breakdown" that required me to stoping working with BC/BS which I also found very stressful.
    Anyway, what I originally wanted to do was invite you to stay with us overnight x2 if you want. Bring hubby (there is one, right? I think I remembered something about him in here) Perhaps you and I could go shop the next day (have a little brunch/lunch--don't know about you, but I can be SLOW in the mornings) then dinner if need be. Then you could stay over again and go home the next day. The really wearing day would be IKEA!!:)
    Mark adn your husband could probably find something to do. We have a large screen tv; a lake a short walk away (only non-gas engine boats for us, though; since we don't actually live waterfront--they are grandfathered). Anyway, fishing or golf could also be an option for the guys. Mark gets along with everybody and anybody, trust me. Of course, you don't have to bring a husband. Just wanted to let you know you are welcome to bring someone/s with you. Bring a couple of g'friends. Doesn't matter. You can, of course, come alone.
    Let me know if you want to plan a mini-vacation. We have 4 br adn 3 ba............... Oh, and if you came in on a Fri. We shopped Ikea on Sat. If you want/feel like it, we could go visit old Newnan. I just adore the atmosphere there and the ideas. There is a decorating store specifically. Just a few, neat town (specially if you've never been there) and very close. Great restaurants we've found. For men and women--great atmospheres; great food and service. You could even leave from Newnan (I guess. I know there is an interstate there. THink it's I-85/) Or, you could leave Monday if your schedule allowed. We are so flexible here. Mark works M-F (usually 0730- about 1830ish--sometimes 1700)...I can no longer work so I am here. Rhonda
  14. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I did interior design for about 7 yrs. So, I love to jump in on these conversations! A friend of mine just did her cabinets in a beautiful cream color with a dark antique stain rub. It looks amazing! Nice and neutral for potential buyers. It seems like this is what you may have been thinking of? Sounds great. She also took the two main cabinets over her oven and put in glass inserts on the front, mullion style (I believe it is called) thin strips of moulding crisscrossing each other in a square or rectangle pattern. It displays her nicer dishware and then she left the rest regular, as solid doors. Hope you have fun deciding! Kim :)
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

I was just looking at mapquest to see the relation as to where you are and I am... looks like we're almost on opposite sides of Atlanta, lol, it figures!

It'd be fun to meet, and I'm thinking it'd be easiest to meet in Atlanta at Ikea, or wherever since we are effectively on oposite sides ...

I actually don't have a problem driving long distances (in fact I drive my son 3.5 hours each way to see his lyme doctor in Charlotte!), and if I know I'm going to be doing something, I do pre-emptive rest anyway. Add 'rest' with some Starbucks, and I'm usually good to go!

But, and this is kind of a big 'but' I guess -

I probably need to wait until February or March as far as Ikea is concerned. We are still under contract to sell, AND still trying to decide what and/or how much we want to do... lol I am already eating my heart out looking at possibilities in magazines!

And thanks for the invite for my husband! Unfortunately, my husband's mother lives with us, she is 89 and has dementia pretty bad. She is liable to do/think anything, one never knows, so these days we don't get to go anywhere together other than when we have help here daytime hours M-F, or for more than an hour or so at night (we volunteer our kids then).

Well, other problem is the board rules don't allow us to post phone numbers or emails.

It'd be possible in a chat room, but as long as I've been here, I've never even tried it... I'm a bit chaotic here anyway with different things happening... so off and on this computer...

& so far haven't been able to even get there when u34rb has been on to talk to her about HBOT even, sigh! But, never say never, lol, it might be possible.

16. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks, I am leaning that way. My major fear was that it was going out of style... but I sure see enough in the magazines to make me think it isn't. 'Country style' would be more apropos since we are in the country on 15+ acres...

So, another question... with the openness of our greatroom (it's just one big room actually)...

do you or anyone else think appliances should be white or stainless? I've heard stainless really shows fingerprints anyway, we are not the most neatest people anyway... and thinking white would be best in the long run. I am going to have to buy a refrigerator very soon, our 23 yo old one is on its last legs!

Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  17. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I love stainless, but that was my reason for not getting them, fingerprints! They are really nice looking, so that's a tough call. Although, the white is timeless and will stay in style for years to come. :) If you are going to be there for a long time, get what you love! It sounds like you are selling though, so you may want to appeal to potential buyers. Kim :)
  18. victoria

victoria New Member

Because of the size of the acreage etc, we are having a hard time selling...

and now that the market is cooling off, well, that's why we're thinking of just waiting and/but at least making some changes for our own enjoyment without going overboard or too personal.

It's a beautiful piece of land and very private on the plus side...
    on the negative, the house is a ranch of '74 vintage and could use major remodeling at this point inside. We've been here almost 20 years.

It would be perfect for a weekend retreat for someone from Atlanta who had horses... or who comes from a much pricier area and doesn't mind living rurally, ie, not in a ritzy neighborhood. Which you can't see anyway from the house or 90% of the land, but I'm amazed at how many have wanted a 'better neighborhood'... we don't live in a trashy area, just a rural area! So I'm not sure what they're expecting in the country!?!

Anyway, if I were moving here from somewhere like Atlanta, NY or Chicago or Denver (pricey markets comparatively)?

-- LOL, I'd knock the house down and rebuild to take advantage of the view over the pond we built, etc... (you can tell I was never wild about the house - the land/privacy is what sold me!)

And Thanks, it really helps to hear others' opinions and get ideas of which way the drift is in interior design!

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  19. johnston

johnston New Member

you could not post emails???? I would love to meet at IKEA. Feb-Mar would be great as I cannot drive for 3-4 more weeks anyway. Hard neck collar/ cervical spine surgery....
    Have you thought of subdividing your land? Perhaps you could sell some acreage with your home. Sell some more lots and keep your premium lot for yourself....Don't recall how much acreage you have. Just an idea.
    I did not realize you are currently listed. I thought that was down the road....
    And they are making something now that looks like s/s but does not smear. It may be very costly---don't know. Most people now consider s/s an updated kitchen. I don't think too many younger women go for colors like they do s/s...
    Rhonda
  20. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

we built our home 4 yrs ago. It is a 1 1/2 storey home with dormer windows and a front verandah. One the main floor we have 9' ceilings with cove mouldings.

In my kitchen I have maple cabinets stained a butternut color. I have a corner sink and corner pantry. My island is stained a dark cherry to look like a separte piece of furniture.

I walls are painted a light sage green, and I did a paint treatment on top called "bagging on". I mixed a darker green,(more olivey)with glaze and dipped a crumpled plastic bag into the mixture and gently banged it onto the wall. It is a blended look that is soft and subtle and gives it lots of dimension with out looking over done.

I did this in our family room as well, but did a dark color on the bottom and a lighter color on top. I still love it!

Raz