Way to go CANADA. I hope USA follows suit soon.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowee, Sep 27, 2006.

1. meowee

meowee New Member

Canadian Television Helps Raise FM Awareness

CTV Ottawa, Ottawa's most watched TV station, is launching a Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome advertising campaign with up to $20,000 in donated ads. Carol Anne Meehan, the CTV Ottawa news anchor, selected FM-CFS Canada—a Canadian patient support organization—as her special cause. Each year CTV Ottawa's leading personalities get to select a charity to help with donated ads. You can see the two 30 second ads at
    http://fm-cfs.ca/psa.html
    with Windows Media Player.
  2. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

Thanks for the info. I only hope they show it in my part of Canada.

They are good, brief and to the point.

I would give them "two thumbs up" if it didn't hurt so much.

Thanks so much and may you have a pain free day.

Bruinz
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2006]
  3. caffey

caffey New Member

I am from Canada and watch CTV all the time. I will watch out for it. September is also Arthritis Month in Canada.
    Cath
  4. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I am also a proud Canadian!

We need more of this type to thing to bring awareness to the world.

Maybe some of those doubting doctors will see the ads and wonder!

Redwillow

5. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I love CTV!!

I'm going to call CTV in Toronto to see if they have any plans for PSA's (I know some people there).

Hip Hip Hooray!!

Sue in Ontario
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm in rural Ottawa and we watch CTV often. CTV broadcasts across Canada, but the commercials are different per area of course. So hopefully these ads hit all of CTV.

Don't know if you around Detroit have noticed, but some Detroit stations (we get via satellite) use CTV broadcasts. So even though its the Detroit station, you will see the CTV logo on bottom of screen. So, maybe the ads will carry over that way.

As I've said many times, FM is very well known around Ottawa. I've so rarely heard any doubt or even people not knowing what it is. Everyone knows someone w/ it. I've watch Carol-Anne do a very tactful interview w/ two local muckymucks, one male, one female. Both high profile, well moneyed and well-known/respected in the community. They shared of the severe debilitation and need for pacing, and how they could do so much less than before. You could easily see they were in pain too and their eyes looked battle weary.

She even boldly addressed the contraversy and sometimes disbelief the illnesss can cause. I'm so proud of her. This is huge for us.

Jeanne
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

bump

(thanks for the link, still reading the site)
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

Another proud Canadian here,,,, haven't seen the commercials since I live in Manitoba, but, now that I know about them I will check on the Satalite and see if I can get it!

WOOOO HOOOOO! Its about time we got something right!

Raz
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

the other day while I was talking on the phone to my best friend who also has CFS/FM. The TV was on mute and I told her that I couldn't believe it but Shirley Westheinde and another famous local person David Mann who have CFS/FM were in the ad along with Carol Anne Meehan. I un-muted the TV and was very pleased with the part of the ad that I heard.

Hooray!
    Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2006]
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

by Carol-Anne on a news segment years ago.

What are they famous for Pepper?

I havent' seen an ad on tv yet, but I did download from the helpful link the starter of this thread provided. Great site in that link too.

Jeanne
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The 30 second PSA I saw was very well done. Go, Canada!

How about we run something like this in the U.S. during the Super Bowl? (Well, actually, that would only take about $2 million...)

Kholmes

12. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Way to go ...They have my 2 Thumbs up!!!!

Noahvale--kathy
  13. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

I don't watch TV but I am glad to hear this news. I hope every doc I may see in the next 12 months will see this ad, although my family doc has 3 kids and works so I doubt she has time for much TV watching...

Good to see Canada leading the way in this! <waves Maple Leaf flag>
  14. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

meowee:

Good news. Maybe things will change here in the U.S.

nyrofan
  15. Thanks for the link. FANTASTIC! I did not realize they say over one million in Canada suffer from fibro/cfs. Unbelievable that drs. do not study this more, but then according to my rheum. dr. he said they really are.
  16. pepper

pepper New Member

and this time I heard it.

FYI Jeanne and others, Shirley Westheinde is on the board of FM-CFS Canada and she is the president of the Ottawa Construction (or maybe Home Builders) Association. She is the first woman to hold that position and is still working despite FM. There was an article in The Citizen about her on May 12, 2005 for FM awareness.

I was a little upset at the time since the article suggested that all a person needs to do is build frequent rests into his/her day and s/he can continue to work. I wished that the article had mentioned that there is a variety of levels of disability.

David Mann, I believe, is a former VP of Nortel here in Ottawa. He suffers from CFS and boy can you ever tell it from his eyes - he has that "CFS look".

Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2006]
  17. meowee

meowee New Member

I know there are so many dreaded things out there,but we sure can use the support here in US.

Good Job Canada!
  18. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

for anyone who missed this.

Sue in Ontario
  19. Luxuria

Luxuria New Member

That is great news! I hope they show the ad in my part of Canada. We live about 6 hours away from Ottawa and our CTV station shows local event for our city. I believe all the CTV stations do that for which ever city they are showing in.