We Ain't Got a Barrel of Money - A Song Game!

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Jun 21, 2015.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

We've had a lot of extra expenses lately, stuff breaking down and needing to be replaced, repairs need to be made, and wouldn't you know, it all costs MONEY. :) Here's a song game about it. Any song with these words in the title or lyrics: Money, Dough, Dollar, Cents, Quarter, Dime, Nickle, Penny, Gold, Silver, Riches, or Poverty.
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Here goes:

"Side by Side" We ain't got a barrel of money...

"If I Had a Nickle"

"Ten Cents a Dance"

"Million Dollar Baby"
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

OK, GB. Never heard of Million Dollar Baby before. But there's an oldie titled
    "I Found a Million Dollar Baby in a Five and Ten Cent Store."

Put another nickel in
    In the nickelodeon
    All I want is having you
    And music, music, music. Sung by Teresa Brewer and various.

And the Fanny Brice hit Second Hand Rose.
    Even our piano in the parlor
    Father bought for ten cents on the dollar.

If I Were a Rich Man from Fiddler on the Roof.

Pennies From Heaven.

And finally a big hit for Lefty Frizzel (isn't that a great name?) back in
    the 60s. Saginaw Michigan.

That's why I'm up here in Alaska looking around for gold
    Like a crazy fool I'm a digging in the frozen ground, so cold
    But with each new day I pray I'll strike it rich and then
    I'll go back home and claim my love in Saginaw, Michigan.

Rock
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, Those are good songs. The Million Dollar Baby song is the same one I was thinking of. I wasn't sure of the title. It is an oldie. (I looked it up and it's "I Found a Million Dollar Baby". I barely remember it, maybe it''s from an old movie.

I've been watching old movies a lot lately. I saw New Moon the other day with Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald. It had some pretty music. Now, I'm watching one with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, it's 'The Big Sleep". No music in this one. It's a detective story. Next, I plan to see "The People Against O'Hara, Spencer Tracy and Pat O'Brien. Both of these were made in the late '40's eary '50's. These are on the TCM channel on cable. GB
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  5. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi!

Here's a few:

Penny Lover by Lionel Richie

Penny Lane by The Beatles

Brother Can You Spare a Dime by Bing Crosby

Moldy Old Dough by Lieutenant Pigeon (Circa 1972) British group.

Hugz!
    Dar
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Dar, Those are really good. I've never heard Penny Lover or Mouldy Old Dough! GB
  7. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi everybody! And good to hear from you, DAR!

Great songs posted; great thread GB. :)

WE'RE IN THE MONEY, from the movie: Gold Diggers of 1933, sung by Ginger Rogers

DANNY'S SONG, Anne Murray, 1972

"And even though we ain't got money,
    I'm so in love with you, honey,
    Everything will bring a chain of love."

KING OF THE ROAD, Roger Miller, 1965

"Trailer for sale or rent, rooms to let, fifty cents.
    No phone, no pool, no pets, I ain't got no cigarettes
    Ah, but, two hours of pushin' broom
    Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room
    I'm a man of means by no means, king of the road."

That's it for now!

Rock, on another post, you asked how I was doin'. So-so. Allergies are bad. I need to find a med/OTC/supp that will work for me. What I'm taking (claritin) is making me sleep, a lot, but not helping to relieve my symptoms. So, it's basically useless. Time to move on.

We are going to have bad/severe weather here today. And I am terrified of storms/wind. So, I have my fingers crossed that we get no wind damage or power outages. Keep your fingers crossed for me and the cats, please. Kevin's at work (about an hour from home). So I have to take care of the kitties and me, if bad weather hits. Anybody ever tried to round up a kitty??!!?? LOL

Anyways, I hope to be back soon (tomorrow).

Hugs, Diane
  8. rockgor

Well, lottsa good songs, Kids. I intended to post some yesterday, but somehow got
    sidetracked. Here are 3 songs from musicals.

My Fair Lady, Just You Wait

Just you wait, Henry Higgins, just you wait.
    You'll be sorry but your tears 'll be too late.
    You'll be broke and I'll have money.
    Will I help you? Don't be funny.

I wanna be rich. Have money to burn.
    A thousand a week, say, would do me a turn.

Wealth far beyond all measure
    Maybe soon in my hands I'll hold
    Ah, but where will I find
    That one treasure of treasures
    The love from a heart of gold?

Diane, hope the weather wasn't too bad. Back in the silent films days Lillian
    Gish starred in a movie titled Wind. I looked it up on Wikipedia. Sounds way
    too grim for my taste. At least in a silent film one would be spared listening
    to the wind howl through the entire picture.

Hope you can find something for your allergies. I used to have colds and allergies
    back in MN. Since moving I no longer get colds and my allergies are greatly
    improved. Maybe due to all the meds I take for other complaints.

GB, I saw part of that Jeanette and Nelson operetta the other day too. Jeanette had
    lots of personality, but most of her roles didn't require that she display same. The Cat
    and the Fiddle shows her at her most vivacious. The male star was Ramon Navarro
    who had played Ben Hur in the silent film. He had a good singing voice. I used to
    have a recording of him singing opera.

Rock
  9. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi Everybody! So many great songs!

Thanks GB.
    Rock, I used to sing many of your selections with my residents at the Fort and My Fair Lady is one of my most loved movies! Thanks for those.

Diane I can sympathize with the allergy dilemma. I haven't drawn a clear breath nor stopped applying allergy eye drops for some time here. We've been deluged with rain, rain, rain, and more rain. The goldenrod is flourishing along with the mold spores and other things floating about in the air here. Hope you get some relief soon. I can but hope! ;)

Penny Serenade--Sammy Kaye & his Orchestra 1939

If You've Got the Money I've Got The Time--Lefty Frizzell

Brother Can You Spare A Dime--Al Jolson

Money--Pink Floyd

Here's a Quarter Call Someone Who Cares--Travis Tritt

Hope you enjoy these.

Hugz,
    Dar
  10. rockgor

Hi Kids

Always good to hear from you, Dar. My Fair Lady is a favorite of mine too. It
    was the first Broadway Show I saw on stage. But not on Broadway. It was
    a touring company in St. Paul. I responded to a notice at school that said Free
    Admission. Usher for plays. And for the next several year I saw lots of musicals,
    plays, concerts, recitals, etc. Didn't get paid, but got in free. Saw lots of stars too:

Ginger Rogers, Myrna Loy, Tom Bosley, Carol Channing, Martin Sheen, Betty
    Grable, Jan Peerce, Renata Tebaldi, Robert Merrill, Julian Bream, Burt Parks
    (was was excellent as Professsor Harold Hill), the Kingston Trio, the Minneapolis
    Symphony. Lots more I can't remember. Well, it was half a century ago.

Never heard of Travis Tritt or that song before. Travis has a real country
    voice. I figured his name was a show biz nom de chanteur, but Wikipedia
    says his real name is James Travis Tritt. I looked on Youtube. He sings
    lots of songs. Only one of which I ever heard of before. Who decides what
    songs get recorded? The record company?

The great Johnny Horton has a hit with North to Alaska. The lyrics refer
    to gold and big nuggets.

Adios
    Rock
  11. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Dar and Rock, Good songs, good videos. Some of those are new to me. I do remember Lefty Frizzelle's If You've Got the Money though.

That Pink Floyd album cover is special to me. My older daughter's first boyfriend had that logo painted on the side of his van, it was what the kids did back in the '70's, they had a van club.

They eventually broke up but we all remained friends over the years. He died 3 years ago from a heart attack and it was almost like losing one of my own children. He was 55 years old. GB
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Here's an anti-money song, "The Best Things in Life Are Free". (Except all the beach front, lake front, and mountain view property). :) GB
  13. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi Folks!

Thanks Rock. You always have such interesting anecdotes. You're a treasure trove of neat life memories. I would love to have been in your shoes to meet all those big stars. Did you ever get to see a production of The King and I? That is another musical close to my heart. I have it on DVD and watch it at least twice a year or more. I never tire of it.

Travis Tritt is sort of a country music staple here in the Midwest. The town I live in was the host for many years of the "Country Music Festival" in our neck of the woods. It was held on the main drag downtown and my home is only 5 doors up. Parking was a hassle and people used to attempt to use my yard as a parking lot, but the music was great and we didn't even have to leave the front porch! :) My folks used to man the booth for our Church selling pork burgers. I guess, a few years back, there were too many complaints about the mess and drunken fights so they stopped having it here anymore. Too bad.

GB, Pink Floyd was one of my favorite groups. Still is. So sad that your spare child passed away at such a young age. Fifty five isn't that old, but my dad was about that age when he began having angina attacks and had a pacemaker by the time he was my age. It's kinda neat that you had the relationship with him that you had though. Sounds like he was a joy and privilege to know.

I remember when I bought my first Pink Floyd album my junior year in high school. My folks had a lodge meeting, I was home alone, kicked back on the couch in the darkened living room, listening to this "trippy" mellow music, when right in the middle of the song there was a horrific scream and a voice whispered, "Careful with that axe Eugene". Scared the bajeesus outa me! :eek: I shot up off the couch, flipped on the lights, turned off the stereo and went to bed! I listened to the rest of the album the next day while the sun was shining! (No scaredey cat here right?) LOL.

Here are a few $ related songs:

Rock on y'all!

Hugz
    Dar
  14. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Dar, We did have a good relationship with some of my kids friends. This boy was her first love and they just remained friends always. When her first marriage ended, they dated again for awhile. He was single then also. He was the kind of guy that would be there to help you if you had a flat tire or just wanted someone to talk to. A couple of weeks before he died, he was trying to help me find frames for my new glasses. That's the business he was in, optical. He was always smiling and laughing. Miss him a lot. We talked on FB and he called us 'mom' and 'dad'. Thanks for letting me talk about it. Keep on truckin'. :) GB
  15. Darrae

Darrae Member

You're welcome GB.

I can sort of relate. I have a few "spare kids" of my own. I know how close they can become. Two of my youngest daughter's x-boyfriends are still friends and considered family, as well as another young man they went to school with. These boys always called me Mom too. They come for holiday dinners or just to hang out or help when we need help.

Larry, who dated my youngest daughter, comes to Saturday night card games every week with our family and has helped the family a lot when needed. Paul, who dated both my girls, just got married and has a new baby. Paul used to baby sit my youngest son when we'd go out and spent a lot of time crashing on my couch when he was having life difficulties. Darci's x-husband, Chris, and she are still very close friends and I still call him son. All these kids, with the exception of Larry went to high school together and spent a lot of time at my house when the girls were teenagers.

Chris and Paul were troubled boys when they were young. Chris's mom was not much of a mother to him. Alcohol issues. Paul's only brother, (older), was killed under questionable circumstances and his parents were understandably in a lot of grief. Problem was, they forgot that Paul needed to grieve as well. Both boys would come and confide in me and I loved them as if they were my own. I would miss any of them like the dickens if we were to lose them. I just can't imagine. It's amazing the "peripheral" friends we make through our children isn't it? God has a way of bringing good people into our lives. I am grateful for my "extra" boys.
    Blessed.

Thank you for sharing with me. Rock on G.B.!

Hugz,
    Dar
  16. rockgor

When my Blue Moon Turns Again to Gold. A song from the year of my birth.
    That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine. Written and sung by Gene Autry back in
    the 1930s. His first hit.

Silver Threads and Golden Needles. Several recordings of this on Youtube
    including one by the Honky Tonk Angels: Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, and
    Loretta Lynn.

Silver Threads Among the Gold, a favorite from over a century ago.
    Put on Your Old Grey Bonnet...On our Golden Wedding Day. Another oldie.

A Dollar Down and A Dollar A Week. Written by Woody Guthrie. Recorded
    by the Limeliters.

Just looked to see if anybody posted Pennies From Heaven. Turns out
    I did. LOL

All for now
    Rock
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, "Silver Threads Among the Gold" and "Put On Your Old Grey Bonnet" were songs my grandmother used to sing to me, among others. Lots of memories.

Can't think of any more $$ songs right now, but will be back later. GB
    rockgor likes this.