We Buried My Dad Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jakeg, Sep 18, 2006.

1. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Today was my dads services. It was the most beautiful one that I've ever attended. He was buried with honors from the local fire dept. and the veterans association for his service in the military. I knew my dad touched a lot of lives but I had no idea that it was so many. There were over 300 hundred people at the viewing.

At the funeral home there were honor guards from both the fire dept and the vets. The procession was lead by the fire dept with his casket in one of the firetrucks.

When we arrived at the cemetery the fire Co. had 2 ladder trucks with the ladders extended with the American Flag draped between them. The fire Co. held their ceremony for him followed by a 21 gun salute by the Vets.

All was calm with my family through the day at the wake until I got home and the phone rang. Yes it was one of my siblings wanting to know if I had changed my mind about the cabin.(See my other post) As it turns out other things that were to be mine are missing.

I was feeling pretty at ease until then and now I can't sleep. I still just don't understand why they have to be like this.

Why couldn't they at least let this day be peaceful and not like the day after he passed on?????

My dad is in a better place now, with my mom and youngest brother.

No matter what they do they can't take my memories away from me, they will never be forgotten.

Take Care JakeG
  2. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

How magnificent and life honoring your dad's funeral sounds! Isn't it heart warming and healing to know how many people he touched in his life?

My condolances are with you. JakeG

Jana
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

We are dealing with a similar issue right now. All was to be left to this side of the family, but it is all going to the other side of the family.

People can be so greedy. Nothing has been done at this point, b/c everyone is still trying to grieve. You would think that people would honor the wishes of a person, but greed can make people so selfish.

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with all of this. Sounds like the service was beautiful for your dad. I will be thinking of you and hoping things turn out for the best for you. HUGS!!!

Kriket
  4. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

I am very sorry for your pain. May he rest in peace and comfort. He is with your Mom and younger brother and never will be alone.

It sure must of been a beautiful ceramony with all the Honors for you Dad. Wondferful memories will always be tucked away safe in your Heart.

Eileen
  5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Your deep love for your father shines through your post. What a wonderful service, he must have been very highly thought of. Please accept my condolences at your sad loss.

Don't let other peoples concern over material possessions into your time of mourning for this special man.
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Concentrate on the good memories. That was indeed a grand send off for him.

Please don't let these greedy siblings, who are clearly seeing his death as their own gain upset you.

There is a far superior judge for them.

Love and blessings

Anne
  7. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

You must be very proud to be his son.

Best wishes,
    Shar
  8. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I'm glad the funeral was so special. What a grand send off for your day, I bet you were so proud! I'm just so sad your siblings have to be such vultures. They should watch their step though, what goes around comes around.....

Hugz,
    Tona

How is Cyrus?
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

My heart goes out to you, Jake. I'm so glad it was a beautiful service.

I'll go find your other post to see how your ordeal is going but please know that the most important things your dad gave you are things inside of you that no one can ever take away. The older you get, the more you'll know that's true.

That said, greedy relatives suck! Been there, had them. And from the advantage of hindsight I can see that they were crushed not to have been singled out as I was. Dad was gone so they couldn't deal with him about it but I was handy.

Marta

10. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

that service must have been. what an honor for your dad to have at his passing.

my prayers are with you and your family. Hope you get some peace to mourn your loss and count you belssings of your memory of your dad.

It helped me to talk about my dad lots so tell everyone how you remember him.

truelly sorry for your loss and the family being greedy take care of yourself

11. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Cyrus seems to be getting better with every passing day. His breathing seems to be a lot better but every now and then he does seem congested.

The doc says he will be taking the antibiotics for quit some time.

My wife recently bought a body harness for him and now I am able to take him for little walks without him hurting my arms from wanting to run all the time. He now walks along side me like he should.

He has another app. coming up soon and I'll let you know how that one goes.

Take Care
    JakeG
  12. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

You are in my thoughts and prayers.... Know you are not alone and you will always have the memories in your heart.. remember the good times and know he is in a better place looking out for you. Janet
  13. ksp56

ksp56 Member

How special your dad was! For so many to come and celebrate his life, and to grieve his loss also. I know you will miss him very much.

My dad dies 3 years ago. It is one of the most painful moments in my life. The only way I found, any type of solace was knowing he was out of pain, and could finally be with my brother.

Is there a way to side step your siblings greed and tell them you need to grieve at this time, not worry about your dad's possessions so SOON after his death? Like you said, they cannnot take your memories. These carry you through the days of your life...

Gentle Hugs..

God Bless...

Kim

[This Message was Edited on 09/19/2006]
  14. carebelle

carebelle New Member

you are in my thoughts and prayers
  15. jole

jole Member

Thinking of you and wishing you better days. The loss of a parent is hard, and it takes time to heal. Be kind to yourself and don't worry about others.
    Your dad sounds like the kind of person we would all want to have known.

Friends - Jole
  16. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

Jake, I don't know you but I have you in my thoughts and prayers. I understand about how hurtful and confusing the family greed must be on top of your grieving. I may face the same thing in future.
    It sounds like many many people cared about your dad and it was a beautiful and moving service.
    I hope you can deal with this without too much of a flare.
    It sounds like your dog has been sick. So glad you were able to take for a walk. Mine is possibly sick also, more tests are needed. They give us so much love.
    Hang in there, and know people care. Penny
  17. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

The service sounds like it was very beautiful with so many that cared for him.

I am so sorry for what your siblings are putting you through.

Remember the Good Times shared with your Dad. He was lucky to have a son like you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and may you have better days ahead.

carolin
  18. tonakay

tonakay New Member

That's good news about Cyrus. The harness sounds great too, both of you get out of the house a little. Let me know what the vet says when he goes again. My Kayte is hoot, I call her swivel hips... does Cyrus balance any on his front legs yet? Gotta love furbabies Jake, not a mean bone in their bodies and always happy to see us!

Hugz,
    Tona