We Get CFS From Our Mothers ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Well, we're making some progress. Reuters News Service had this report on Yahoo! this morning: And I changed the subject line. I can't imagine why more people wouldn't read this. M.

Chronic fatigue traced to mothers: study Mon Jun 5, 1:18 AM ET

Mothers of teenagers with chronic fatigue syndrome are also more likely to have the mysterious ailment, or display psychological stresses that may play a role in the child's illness, a study said on Monday.

In the study that included 36 children averaging 16 years old diagnosed with chronic fatigue, their mothers were likely to share their symptoms, while fathers showed no connection, the study found.

"Our study revealed a shared symptom complex of fatigue, fatigue-associated symptoms, and psychological distress between adolescents with chronic fatigue syndrome and their mothers," the study said.

Between 500,000 and one million Americans have chronic fatigue syndrome.

Study author Elise M. van de Putte of Wilhelmina Children's Hospital in Utrecht, the Netherlands, suggested the link was the "result of an interplay between genetic susceptibility and environmental factors."

"It may point to a gene-environment interaction in which the child not only inherits the genetic characteristics of the mother, but these maternal characteristics also function as environmental factors for the child," she wrote in the June issue of "Pediatrics," the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

The report did not rule out a mother having stressful responses to her child's illness that reinforced the symptoms.

The illness can persist for years and often leaves victims listless, with symptoms such as pain, headaches, swollen lymph nodes, and problems with memory and concentration.

Increasingly, research into chronic fatigue syndrome has pointed to genetic causes, though it was once dismissed by some medical experts as being all in the mind.

In April, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said genetic studies on more than 200 patients showed there likely was a biological basis for the illness, related to how parts of the brain respond to stress. Last year, British researchers reported finding genetic abnormalities in sufferers' white blood cells, which direct the body's immune response.

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2006]
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Well, that supports my theory that all our DDs are 1) a genetic predisposition to faulty glutathione production, and 2) SiGNIFICANT exposure to environmental chemicals, usually pesticides.

The reason for the GENETIC PREDISPOSITION? Children inherit Mitrochondrial DNA from the MOTHER. So there is the genetic predisposition linking mother and child.

The SIGNIFICANT exposures can take place either, 1)in utero, through the placenta, 2) through breastmilk, 3) through exposure in daily living.

Determining the age of inital symptoms, gives clues to when/where exposure took place. The younger the onset of symptoms, obviously points to the earlier the exposure.

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it.
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Makes sense to me!

I about fell over when I saw the headline on my Homepage this morning. CFS in the news?? Wow. Reuters must have heard from Prickles.

Marta
  4. jane32

jane32 New Member

So say I get better and this is really genetic I guess that means I should not have children. As a kid I always thought I would adopt children.. so strange....I guess I can predict predict the future!

The weird thign is my mom was really tried for three years when I was around 16 adn the drs. never found anything worng. She just slept a lot but then they evenutally learned that she is hypoglecimic (Sp) and needs to stay away from wheat and breads.
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Apologies to those who have responded.

M.
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

since it was so convenient to 'blame' everything on the mother, like autism supposedly being due to 'cold mothers'...

but after reading about Lyme, HIV of course, and other stealth pathogens that can be passed on prenatally and/or thru breast milk... I'm not surprised at this finding as I do believe these DDs are due to some pathogen(s).

Well I sure didn't catch it from my mother tho... mine dates from having mono-hepatitis/meningitis for a year when I was 18.

Victoria

7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I think it could be like anything ,it can be passed on from mother to child (maybe at childbirth)and lay dormant until something from the environment like a virus or bug spray turns it on.
    different birth defects can be traced back to one or the other parent why not this.
    mothers are always blamed anyway.LOL
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2006]
  8. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Lyme is very well known to pass from mother to child but most people were like me for years and listened to a doc say you have cfs or FM and didn't discover until late in my illness that I tested WAY positive for lyme with Igenex.
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Were like mine....you'd never know if she had an illness or not.

My Mom used to lie down in the afternoons, resting most days, but as always...dinner was on time at 5:30pm every single evening.

She never would have said, "I don't feel well, can you help me with this"...it just never would have happened.

In fact I once had my Dad take her to the ER after she asked me to get her a tissue!!! I KNEW she was sick because she'd never asked for help in my life. (It was her meds making her blood pressure too low)

Now that she's gone, I do wonder if she had an illness like this.

My daughter has been dx with FM too, although her symptoms started after having mono when she was 14. She just never completely got better after that.

Nancy B.
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I suspect they'll find that the genetic tendancy toward these illnesses doesn't manifest in every generation, at least as CFS/FM.

My mother was very depressed and told me that she'd had a nervous breakdown when I was very young. I remember hearing about "nervous exhaustion" and nervous breakdowns" whereas now you don't hear those terms used. I suspect some cases may have been CFS and/or FM.

Maybe the genetic contributions can appear differently and even lie dormant for a generation as they do in other illnesse. Without the communication technology back then, women just did what they had to do without always understanding their health or the reasons behind how they felt.

Of course. sometimes I'm not entirely sure what understanding we have is all that helpful yet anyway. It's like the old saying of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing in some cases.
    Marta
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

This is sounding more and more like the researchers may have something with their genetic theory. Now if they'd just find a way to make it go AWAY..........

M.
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

.....like all "rules", there are exceptions.

M.