We had to call the ambulance!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karbear, Nov 19, 2002.

1. karbear

karbear New Member

Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this? My daughter (13) has been having terrible chest pains,had her to the doctors many times, nothing! Last night she woke up at 11:30 screaming hysterical that her chest hurt and she was rolling around in her bed!! Scared me to death ,so I called the ambulance..they came checked her out and of course everything was fine ...thank god!! but then very frustrating again!! It scared us sooooooo bad,I thought she was having a heart attack...how much more can this poor girl take. She has had so many medical problems for years, and shes only 13!! Its awful to see a child suffering so much, I know how bad I feel somedays and I can't imagine going through it so young...What would be causing this severe chest pain? Thanks for listening...God Bless,karin
  2. karbear

karbear New Member

Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this? My daughter (13) has been having terrible chest pains,had her to the doctors many times, nothing! Last night she woke up at 11:30 screaming hysterical that her chest hurt and she was rolling around in her bed!! Scared me to death ,so I called the ambulance..they came checked her out and of course everything was fine ...thank god!! but then very frustrating again!! It scared us sooooooo bad,I thought she was having a heart attack...how much more can this poor girl take. She has had so many medical problems for years, and shes only 13!! Its awful to see a child suffering so much, I know how bad I feel somedays and I can't imagine going through it so young...What would be causing this severe chest pain? Thanks for listening...God Bless,karin
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

Chest pain can be caused by many things, other than heart problems. Examples are inflammation of the cartilege, ribs not seated properly where they attach to the sternum, and inflammation of the intercostal (between ribs) muscles. Anxiety, panic 'attacks', stress, gastric reflux,and breathing problems all can also cause chest pain. Not to worry you, but just to offer some suggestions of ideas to talk to your daughter's doctor about. I hope this helps a little. I know how distressing it is when your child is in pain and you can't help.

Remember to breathe.

Hugs,
    Beth.
  4. KellynZ

KellynZ New Member

I am so sorry for what you and your daughter are going through. Please pass along our thoughts and prayers --

Has your daughter ever been evaluated for acid reflux/GERD? That can sometimes manifest itself in severe chest pain.

hugs to you both

Kellyn
  5. Hapier1

Hapier1 New Member

I have FM. I also have Chest Pain that is not related to a heart attack. According to the Fm Resource Center (My Doctor recommended this website to me.) Non Cardiac Chest Pain is common in people who have FM. I have had some chest pain since I was about your daughters age (I'm 39). I did have a heart Attack last year following Lung surgery. I have since been hospitalized a few times for Non Cardiac Chest Pain, that is related to FM (they think). Your Heart is a muscle and wouldn't FM affect that muscle to. It is scary, I now take Ketoralac if the pain is muscle not heart. The way to tell the difference is while haveing the pain twist your middle and face the opposite way. If movement makes your pain worse it is muscle related (according to my heart doctor), check with your doctor on what he/she thinks. The pain is very real and very scary for me and my family. I know what it feels like, Take care.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2002]
  6. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I also agree with the above posts..It could be a lot of things..I don't know you well, so I don't know what kind of medical problems your daughter already has..
    Panic Attacks can really do you in, which could be what she is having..

Just have to tell you something, I know I'm going to upset you, but I'm doing it, just so she will be checked out very well..I have a cousin who is about 5yrs younger than me (around 43), when he was 5yrs old, he had a heart attack..
    I know that seems strange and it happens very seldom, but maybe you should address this to your daughter's doctor, and ask for the standard tests, EKG, stress test, echo cardiogram, etc..
    I think it would put your mind and your daughters at ease..
    Maybe it's possible that your daughter is having panic attacks and since they can mimic a heart attack, she is just worrying more about it, which in turn is causing more panic attacks..
    How about her gall bladder, there are a lot of people that only get chest pain and it's there gall bladder..If nothing else, try to remember what she is eating and when this pain occurs..
    You can also have a rib slip out of place where you need an adjustment, and it can really feel like a heart attack..
    I'm sorry I went on so long, just wanted to throw some suggestions your way..Hope you get to the bottom of this very soon....
    You daughter and you are in my thoughts and prayers..
    Take Care.........Donna
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm sorry for you & your daughter with this scary experience. I have a 13-year old daughter, too. I think others have brought up some good suggestions to check out, such as panic attacks.

Also the idea of pleurisy----my daughter at age 8 woke up once with SEVERE back pain, curving around to the front. At the ER, her chest X-ray revealed scoliosis, but also pneumonia & pleurisy (she hadn't even been coughing --no one would've guessed pneumonia--later on we figured out she was in such severe, severe pain that she literally COULDN'T cough). The scoliosis was temporary--she was in such severe pain that her spine literally curved to accomodate the pain! After pain meds & antibiotics for a couple of days, she started sounding like a kid with pneumonia--coughing, etc. but in far less pain. And her spine straightened after about 2 weeks. That pleurisy can be the most painful thing in the world & cause severe chest pain, so do check that out, too.

Hope you nail this down & find some answers, as a Mom with a same-age daughter, I feel for your situation. Good luck & let us know what you find out...

Pam
  8. tes

tes New Member

So sorry to hear about your daughter. I have 2 young children and my heart breaks when they get a cold. I can't even imagine the pain that you must be feeling. I am 31 and have had fm for about 9 years now. My symptoms all started out with severe chest pain that would not go away. I also had breathing problems. Until they ruled out any problems with my heart and lungs, I used to have such bad panic attacks which would intensify the chest pain like crazy. I still have chest discomfort on a daily basis and have just learned to live with it. Have your daughter checked out more thouroughly(if you haven't already) to ease your mind and see what could be bothering your daughter. Ask her if she's panicking, if it feels like burning up the center of her chest(could be reflux) etc. etc.. Wish I could help more. I know all to well about this chest crap. It is my most prevailing symptom with this illness. My prayers are with you and your daughter and hope you can get some answers soon.

God Bless
    Tes
  9. karbear

karbear New Member

Just wanted to say thank you to all that responded. Its been very tough and we just have to keep going with her until we resolve all of this. Its been way too many years with her dealing with the pain. There has been so many tests and nothing ever comes of it, the only test that came back with anything was "allergy testing"which we discovered she is allergic to wheat,beef,and carrots,and the other commons,dust,trees,grasses,etc....so its been tough to get wheat from her diet,you don't realize how much wheat is in our diets!!! Her pediatrician is sending her to a GI doctor, not until Feb. closest appt. available,,nice huh!! Takes months to ever get in anywhere. We also have appts. with school,to meet with the principle and teachers to discuss a plan for her and what we need to do to help her get through school. I guess some students qualify for homebound schooling,so I think we will look into that for her on her bad days. She has actually had two full days in school this week but at night time she seems to suffer alot..Her best freind is her Heating Pad !! I had to buy me another one,she stoled mine!! lol..lol..I was thinking of an electric blanket for her, does anyone know if this helps? and if they are good for you? I guess for now we just keep on praying we can help her and wait until the doctors can see us. The poor girl hates all these doctor appts. but I tell her its the only way we can get her to feeling better. So please keep us in your prayers and we shall keep all of you in ours..god bless..karin