We need a Celebrity to help us out

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redshadow, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Michael J. Fox and Christopher Reeve, look how they got things going, too bad we don't have any famous spokesmen.
  2. Napoto

Napoto New Member

Hi Redshadow:

That's exactly what I was thinking with all the emphasis on Michael J. Fox lately. Surely there's gotta be someone in Hollywood that either has a loved one or has CFS or Fibro themselves that would be our advocate!
  3. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

I'd vote for you prickles, to be our spokeswoman!! Come on now get cracking on that Celebrity career :^)
  4. Daisys

Daisys Member

I read years ago that Cher had CFIDS (or chronic mono, which may be the same thing) which is why she dropped out of sight for a few years.

Remember when she did infomercials? People gave her a real bad time for that, but it paid her bills. Then she made a comeback and won awards.

Of course, she's retired now, and may wish to remain so.
  5. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Yeah I was just talking to my Mom and she said Cher had CFS or the epstienbar virus? Anyways we were discussing if it that was really the illness or if it was a cover up. I'm disappointed that if Cher really has CFS why she wouldn't use her power like Michael J. Fox and Christopher Reeve have done.
  6. cct

cct Member

I asked this same question of ProHealth/Rich Carson (refer to the current CFS ProHealth newsletter under "Letters from Our Readers" )!

I know of Cher, Morgan Fairchild, Stevie Nicks, Blake Edwards, Lauren Hillenbrand, Michelle Ackers, and a young man who was an olympic swimmer (who's name I cannot remember right now)! There probably are more celebrities who have CFS/FM but they have not had the courage to disclose their condition.

Also, I have heard that Cher is going to take over for Celine Dion when Celine retires from her Las Vegas show.
  7. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

Has CFS...I read a bit on her and how she loved riding horses, before she got sick with CFS...then she got into researching horses...and the story of Seabiscuit.

Seabiscuitonline.com/author.asp
  8. springlakeorphan

springlakeorphan New Member

Sorry, but I can't find my little black book with all my famous friends who have fibro/cfs!lol
    Good luck though.Wonderful idea!!!
  9. richcarson

richcarson Moderator

Yes, Cher has CFS and I understand that she is having a tough time right now. I am extremely disappointed that she has never chosen to step up to help bring recognition to this disease. I have written to her and even sent her CFS videos, but she has never responded at all. I agree, we need a high profile person—someone with the magnificent heart of Michael Fox. Rich Carson
  10. Britt2

Britt2 New Member

I know that my nat. dr has helped Jennifer Beals)?) I think that is her name.... She's the woman from Flashdance. She is doing much better now I've heard but yes, I agree that we need to get a celeb to start helping us out.....way more exposure!
    e
  11. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

At one time Cher was very ill. Later she denied that she had CFS. It sounds like she may be ill again. Maybe she will help.

I think famous people don't come forward because it damages their career. Movie stars who are sick hold up production and cost $$$$. Nobody would want to hire them as it may be risky.

Blake Edwards did a movie years ago during a remission about a man with CFS. It bombed.

Maybe the awareness campaign will help.

Laura Hildenbrand is not afraid to talk about it. She did an article for O magazine last month.
  12. I have heard that John Travoltas mother in law has fibro. Wouldn't it be nice to have some help getting the word out.
  13. wish_to_be_healthy

And she may not have the "flash" that someone like Cher has, but I really respect Laura Hillenbrand...

Maybe not a household name, but she has talked about her CFS, and she articulate and knowledgable.

If she was in O magazine, more will know about her...and if she goes on Oprah's show, she will be more recognized...(maybe she was on for Seabisuit when the movie came out, I can't remember right now...If she did, the focus was probably on the movie and book.)

I did read on some national CFS site about her speaking about CFS.

Certainly, her book, turned movie is known...and an excellent one!

What do you think Rich? I know she isn't Cher...but she is brilliant, and she has talked about CFS...Have you ever spoken with her?

Suz
  14. renjanson

renjanson New Member

I didn't know that Morgan Fairchild or Stevie Nicks had Cfids.

How did you find out?

And really curious as to how many more there are.

I read somewhere that Rod Stewarts ex wife has it too.

Anyone read of others?
  15. Daisys

Daisys Member

After taking years to write the book, and just doing interviews in her own home, or on the phone, put her in a bad relapse.(I know, not proper grammer, but it's beyond me right now--where's my english teacher when I need her?!)

So she's in the same boat as many of us. Who of us could be aggressive about anything when we have trouble sitting up and getting our eyes to focus?

I think she's done what she can, and probably will continue to do so as she's able. I base my feelings on how she has been so far.

I think we have a gem in Rich Carson. I'm so glad about your recent remission, Rich. We continue to need a mover and shaker like you!
  16. wish_to_be_healthy

If Laura is still feeling like we are...Yes, then thanks to her, and what she has done for the cause, in her condition.

In that case, it is a case of who can do this, in a remission...and Rich, you have done so much for the cause...I am glad you are in remission!

(I wish I was right now...my brain isn't working)

Suz
  17. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

Sinead O'Connor has fibromyalgia, and has been at least somewhat public (if not activist) about it:
    http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/15706634
  18. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Thanks for the info everyone. I liked Sinead O'Connor before she went all mental and tore up the previous Popes picture on SNL years ago. It's too bad we don't have anyone popular like a Michael J. Fox. I understand why even if a celebrity had CFS, they'd be too sick and tired to even travel all over the country to spread the awareness. My solution would be to have the celebrity get his or her other celebrity friends to go out to the media and spread the news. Just like with AIDS a lot of the singers had loved ones or friends that died from it and they do the big concerts to raise money to find a cure. You know I've written Dr. Phil about my problem but no response. I guess the next will be a letter to Oprah.
  19. wish_to_be_healthy

Redwillow,

If it was written up in O magazine, why couldn't she do a segment on her show...

Rich Carson, What do you think?????

I agree...If we could get someone who has pull to speak for us (Like Liz Taylor and Elton John for HIV/AIDS), that would be great!

Suz

PS, I still think Laura Hillenbrand is great...Love Seabiscuit!
  20. Geegafer

Geegafer New Member

I have often said to my family,'every illness has their spokes person but FM'.
    How many fund raisers, walks, runs, awarness weeks telethons and celebrities pitching for CFS and FM have you ever heard of?
    You hate to think this way but we are so forgotten and misundersood.
    I can't even get a doctor to help me get disability.

Gigi