We read TOO much

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by contessa, Oct 29, 2002.

1. contessa

contessa New Member

For everything that is good for us, something else will declare it is bad for us. For everthing that works, there will be an article somewhere that says it doesn't. For every ingredient, molecule, toxin, fiber, mineral or product there will be another version of it that claims it has been improved and promises to work.

We are an obsessed society, looking for miracle cures or all incompassing causes. This isn't aimed specifically at your article: I'm just wondering where our instinct and common sense went and this rush to accept some celebrity promise or unknown reseachers work as the new medium. Take each subject, break it down, research the smallest part, and if you find common ground maybe it will be proven to be fact. But of course, that takes us all back to the fact that WE READ TOO MUCH!
  2. contessa

contessa New Member

For everything that is good for us, something else will declare it is bad for us. For everthing that works, there will be an article somewhere that says it doesn't. For every ingredient, molecule, toxin, fiber, mineral or product there will be another version of it that claims it has been improved and promises to work.

We are an obsessed society, looking for miracle cures or all incompassing causes. This isn't aimed specifically at your article: I'm just wondering where our instinct and common sense went and this rush to accept some celebrity promise or unknown reseachers work as the new medium. Take each subject, break it down, research the smallest part, and if you find common ground maybe it will be proven to be fact. But of course, that takes us all back to the fact that WE READ TOO MUCH!
  3. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

You crack me up!! I do agree with so much of what you said.

I will never understand why something is suddenly "true" because some "research" or some "doctor" said so. I will question something, just ask a simple question, and suddenly, someone is jumping down my throat saying "the latest research PROVES it so therefore, IT IS TRUE!! Now just believe me because I SAID SO!" Whatever. I question everything. I also believe that not everyone in the world is exactly THE SAME. What may be good for Jack, Jill, and Fido, may not be good for me. What works for the Joneses may not work for me. I know what works for me and what doesn't. Just because research SAYS it works for everyone, if it DOESN'T work for me, I don't do it. Its really very simple...

Do you ever wonder if wearing bunny ears was "proven" by "research" to stop aging, if everyone in Hollywood would be wearing designer bunny ears the next day? Sorry... LOL! I am not trying to be a sarcastic b$#*h, I am just trying to be silly. I think being silly and laughing a lot is the best medicine anyway...

Thanks for the great laugh, Contessa!
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

....we give our power to whatever we concentrate on. We have to be careful not to become our illnesses, but to keep a separate identity. Or to put it in the form of a "catch-phrase", what we resist, persists.
    Klutzo
  5. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Hell if it wasn't for this internet I'd still be as sick as most of ya'll! lol

I trust NO one with my health, as much as I trust myself and without trying to come across as paranoid, I put most dr.s on the same level as the anti-christ. If it wasn't for all my reading, I would NEVER have found my dr., whom I don't consider a dr., but a health assistant. If I had not read as much as I've read, I would STILL be following the less-than-helpful advice of my regular docs, and eventually would end up in the nut house, due to frying my body on so many meds!

Steppin down off the box now,...Jaimy, your turn, hun!

Annette
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's by reading "too much" that I have found what works for me. I don't just jump on the latest bandwagon, but I am open to what is working for others. I then research it myself and decide whether I will try it.

Thank God for the internet and for this board. Most doctors know diddly about our illnesses, especially many of them who do fancy themselves knowledgeable. Those who just rely solely on their docs for treatment usually end up taking twice the medications that the rest of us do, OR, they end up with nothing to help them and a doc who thinks they are depressed and that's what's causing their illness(es).

My thanks and kudos to all y'all who read and share what you are learning with the rest of us.

Love, Mikie
  7. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

Boy, Contessa...its so nice to know that we can have our opinions and express them fully without people jumping down our throats, isn't it?

*rolls eyes sarcastically*

Sometimes, I don't think I should have an opinion around here. Its so much less stressful to go with the common consensus, be a part of the yes crowd and play follow the leader.

Sorry, this is just about the Nth time that people around here have gotten bent out of shape because someone expressed an opinion. I am going to seriously think about finding somewhere else to post where I can actually express myself, be myself, and not worry about the head cheerleading squad pronouncing my ideas as unpopular and uncool.

I do not mean to offend anyone, but I am very frustrated. Isn't this where we should come to share our beliefs when we can't share them with anyone else? There have been so many things I have wanted to post lately and just haven't because I knew someone would get their panties in a bunch and jump all over me. Forget it. I might read here now again but I doubt I am going to post much any more.

I guess to me, its one thing to express your opinion and another to make someone appear stupid just to prove that you are the smartest, greatest, and always right. Are we children or adults here?

Just in case your the least bit curious, this anger stems from reading many posts where people have behaved in a very childish manner and I am just fed up.
  8. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I didn't notice anyone (other than yourself) getting bent out of shape. Most of use expressed HUMOR in presenting our opinions; are you suggesting we should have been the "yes" men (or women in this case) that you spoke of, and just simply agreed with the post? I don't see where ANYONE came across as "I'm right and you're wrong." She had her opinion and others had theirs. If we were to stop reading and voicing our views, we would be advocating a society in which communism was the accepted ideology.

Annette
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I have to agree that when it comes to health matters, alot of us read TOO much and then start feeling symptoms that we read about. I know I've done it, otherwise I wouldn't be agreeing with you.

Butterfly, don't ever agree just to agree!! Always be an individual and stand up for your beliefs and convictions. Everyone has their own opinions, and we can choose to agree or disagree with them.

Marilyn :)
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I do agree with you to a point, I have read so much about Fibro, and so many different opinions for years, I am almost to the point of being burned out on research.

What I have learned to do is this; 'I eat the watermelon and spit out the seeds'!

No kidding, I take breaks from the reading, it gets to the point that everyone is teaching something different from the other to the point that it gets all muddled up.

As for doctors, well I think I will keep my opinion on this subject to myself!

You are right, we are a society that wants everything 'yesterday', where else can you go where people are impatient because the micro-wave oven is taking to long to heat something?

This is two illnesses that teach patience, there is no 'silver bullet', we simply have to go with trial and error for now.

I have been fighting with Fibro for over twenty years, and I have learned that its small steps that count. I have found things that helped me, and also things that made me sicker. Sometimes its the simpliest thing that will help with the pain, etc.

This board has been the biggest help I have found in all those years of doctors etc.

There are so many of us here, that we can learn from each other so much better than anywhere else that I know of.

We understand how each other feel, and we share what helps us. At this point in time, there is not a whole lot out there to help us, and I don't know of anyone who has been cured.

I pay no attention to celebrities, will read the reseachers, but I do weigh all that I read, and never jump to try anything 'new'.
    I am not at all trustful of the pharmacical companies, they simply want to make money off the general public for the most part, now and then they develope something that is helpful, with out too many side effects.

So you are not alone with your opinion, and believe me, we all have opinions!

Shalom, Shirl