weak hands

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tlc8858, Oct 24, 2005.

1. tlc8858

tlc8858 New Member

Hi all, haven't been here in awhile. I have a question for any of you who can answer. Do any of you have weakness in your hands and arms? Mine seems to be getting worse all the time. I never noticed it at all when I was diagnosed a few years ago, but now it is really becoming an issue. Is this part of the disease, or is something else going on I need to have checked out.
    Thanks
    tlc8858
  2. cred

cred New Member

I would like to see this reply! I have week hands during major flares mostly. Some mornings it is 9 or 10 before I can make a tight fist, some mornings my fist looks like an open hand. Is this part of CFS FM?
  3. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I've had this for years, & have also had an x-ray to rule out arthritis. Some days I can't use my hands, & they're SO painful. Mine seems to be part of the FMS. best wishes to you x
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I also notice the pads under my fingers get very swollen.

Some days are worse than others. It wouldnt hurt to discuss it with your doctor, I'm going to talk to mine about it in case it's arthritis or something else.

love
    Rosie
  5. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

my hands arms etc were very weak my dr sent me for some physio and the exersises I have are excellent I do what I can but try most days. i have no arthritis only fms
    linda
  6. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I do alot of crochet,knitting,looming, etc. & my hands do become weak/painful..I've found wearing the fingerless spandex gloves help considerably. When I feel my hands becoming weaker, etc. I put those gloves on & no more pain & the weakness seems better too.

I also wear the isotoner full glove for driving. (unlined) They are just enough padding on the wheel to keep my fingerpads from hurting.

This disease seems to move around in different parts of our bodies...Today it's my hips that are aching. siigghhhh...Tomorrow it will be something else.

Anyway hope you find something that helps. Oh, & also I lay my hands on the heating pad at times, & that helps too.

In good health;
    fifth
  7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

... I'm glad to see this post .. just lately in the past few months I can't seem to open jars or use the can opener very well .. a general weakness in them .. and the same for me with some days are worse than others .. what a club ! haha
    Fudge : )
  8. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Too funny ... I have an electrical one but by god .. it is almost worse trying to get that thing to work .... in the end ... I usually call my "can opener" too ! haha
  9. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

My hands seem to get more painful and clumsy all the time. Wrists, too.

Question...does anyone else find that the pads under their fingernails hurt? Mine do - when I'm in flare it seems like the one under my middle fingernail just BURNS. (Especially on my left hand, but usually on my right hand too.) I don't know why it would occur in that particular finger (all joking aside ;-)), but it always does....
  10. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

My hands and forearms at the begining for this last flare were so screwed up that I could not write with my right hand and I could not carry anything with either hands.

In my case all the tests showed nothing wrong, (MRI) but I could not use my hands this went on for about 2 years very painful and it changed my life.

My hands and forearms got better then I started working on my colon, has any one else found this conection? I'm still in alot of pain but at least I can use they now days. But I still can not write for long.

Winter time has always been bad for my hands if they get cold my hand go blue and then white and throb bad but they have always done that. So I don't let them get cold in the winter.
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2005]
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

tic8858:
    I have weakness in my hands and arms most of the time.
    Yesterday I had to pick up a gallon of water and had to wait and decide which arm/hand to use. I have no remedy for it, but will be interested in the replies.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  12. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

My hands are SO swollen when I am sleeping, that if I make a fist with them, even in my sleep, it will instantly wake me from the pain!

It takes me about 1/2 after waking to get them up and running. I have to run cold water over them for a while, and let my meds kick in.

As far as weakness-I had extreme weakness in my arms and hands before I had my cervical (neck) fusion. It was due to several bone spurs on my neck that were pinching off my nerves.

Might not be a bad idea to have a neurologist take a look at ya! PG
  13. teacher

teacher New Member

My hands are constantly weak. More so when I'm tired. Very frustratiing condition for a Music teacher. So far, doc doesn't think can do anything for it. Will revisit the topic on next visit.

teacher
  14. hartogold

hartogold New Member

My hands hurt and are becoming weaker by the year. I also have OA so it might be a combo of FMS and OA. It's gotten so bad that it hurts to even rub analgesics on the sore spots in my body. Now THAT'S bad! I soak them and exercise them as well but it really doesn't help. You know...I think sometimes almost everything hurts except my nose.lol
    Sandy
  15. hartogold

hartogold New Member

That's about exactly how mine behave! The mornings are the worst and they actually wake me up in the middle of the night as well. I've even tried rubbing analgesic on them before bed, but then I end up scratching or rubbing somewhere on my body doesn't like analgesics on them if you get my drift. lol That doesn't help at all.

Sandy
  16. zerped

zerped New Member

Now this is one I forgot to tell the doc about when I had my SSDI exam in August. I only notice the problem when I try to overdo things, and since I haven't done that in a while...

What got me to the doctor when I first showed signs of CFIDS was an incident at work. There was a "911" emergency situation and I tried to grab a few things off my desk. My had just stayed in the "open" position, and wouldn't wrap around anything. I tried for 15-30 seconds to move any/all fingers without success. Then, with no warning, my hands suddenly worked. since then, if I let myself get tired enough, I'll usually have an incident where a hand will suddenly pop open (and anything in the hand will drop).

A milder form of this is when it takes me 5-10 tries to pick up a paper clip or coin from a flat surface. I read somewhere that the problem can be reduced if you regularly
    do something requiring "digital dexterity." One example of this was playing a musical instrument. Now I practise my guitar not so that I can sound like Eric Clapton, but so that I will be able to use my fingers well enough to pick up an Eric Clapton CD and put it in the player!

Like I say, I have MUCH less trouble now, since I'm not trying to do too much. If I was trying to hold down an 8-hour-a-day job, it would be a much bigger deal.