weak immune system

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pamelakc, Oct 5, 2011.

1. pamelakc

pamelakc New Member

I think fibro really does mess with our immune systems. I have a sinus infection and I just got over the last one I had on sunday. I would love to get well and stay that way. Tired of being sick and tired, I feel I am being punished for something I sure would like to know for what.

Gentle Hugs Pam
  2. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Pam, you sound just like I feel at times, and yes it does feel like you're being punished for something (for what, our sins of course), and positive thinking doesn't do anything to help.

It's depression, it hits us hard and makes us feel we've lost hope of ever being well again, day after day we get beaten up with seemingly no end to it, and it appears no one else seems to understand how or why we feel like that, apart from the people who have actually been through it, as I have and still do.

What does help FM is plenty of sleep, and an antidepressant that aids sleep, eases depression and eases FM symptoms.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've had the same problem as you for several years, a weak immune system. I think I'm finally making some progress. Here are some things you might want to look into:

1. Allergies - I was tested about 5 years ago and discovered I had a severe dust mite allergy, had to take remedial steps - a special cover for my mattress and pillows. I can't keep my house clean or dust free due to CFS, but these have helped. Also discovered I had a mild allergy to my cat, and did some acupressure type work which helped with that.

2. Make sure your vitamin D3 levels are optimal - you may need to supplement with vitamin D3 - it's crucial for immune health.

3. Vitamin A from fish oil (not betacarotene) - 10,000 IU a day but you can take more when you're sick

4. Probiotics or colostrum - your gut has a lot to do wth immune health

I was taking colostrum for several months and a month or 2 ago switched to IgG Concentrate by Swanson's and think it is helping more.

I know CFS really does mess with our immune systems and I'm sure FM does as well. I've had the same feeling as you - it's irrational, but it's there - that I'm being punished for something. I don't know if it's from my Catholic upbringing (although I wouldn't be surprised!) But the important thing to remember is you're NOT being punished for something, although it can feel that way. You have an illness which can be difficult to treat, and it's not a personal failing.

There's a very good video on the PH website. I urge you to take a look at it. It has to do with CFS/ME but I know there are overlaps between CFS and FM, and I like the guy who put it together very much. Here's a link:

Take care -

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sweetie, I know it feels as though you are being unfairly punished. We have all felt that way at one time or another. It's part of the grieving process we go through when we lose our former healthy lives. We grieve just the same as when we lose a loved one. In this case, the loved one is us. Grief counseling can help get through this.

There is good advice here about improving the immune system. PBS has run a special on probiotics because immunity begins in the gut. As we age, we lose a lot of the "good bacteria" which helps keep our guts in balance. We need more probiotics than originally thought and the more strains, the better. As much as other things help, I believe probiotics should be the first thing to reclaim good immunity. Just eating yogurt isn't sufficient. Check out the store here to see the different types available. Some of the ones you can buy in healthfood stores are good but be sure to check the labels.

Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Well put Mikie, it is like grieving except even with councelling we can still find ourselves feeling we are being punished. Depression can do that to a person, it controls our thoughts and drags us down deeper and deeper, logical/positive thinking becomes non-existent.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My blood pressure meds cause a drop in norepinephrine. It was most pronounced when I first started taking them. Over time, the side effects have decreased but there are times when I feel anger or depression just wash over me suddenly. It also causes fatigue as it interfers with sleep. Unfortunately, this is the first BP med I've been able to tolerate at all. Oy!

This feels just like my grieving did when I got really sick. We may be in acceptance 99 percent of the time but we can slip back into denial, depression or anger at any time.

Love, Mikie
  7. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

How are you feeling? I hope you're better.

I thought I was improving last year from allergy shots - I went 7 months without getting sick (a lifetime record at the age of 53!)

Then I got sick in June, Aug. and again Sun. I'm going to an immunologist who has me on 2 antibiotics, an antiviral, and prednisone. I also had the pneumonia shot and am considering the flu shot. I hate being on all these drugs, but cannot function like this. The die-off is intense, but I'm doing a lot with supplements too.

I know what you mean about the "punished" feeling. I feel like I've missed a lot of happy times due to this stupid sickness......When I can, I just try to focus on the good stuff. I'm sure you do too.

Take care.