Weak legs and arms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaneG, Dec 14, 2002.

1. JaneG

JaneG New Member

Yesterday my husband and I went to Wal-Mart to pick up a string of lights for my Nativity scene and I thought I felt pretty good until I got out of the car and started walking- my legs and arms too, felt weak - they are not numb or tingling - they kinda feel like a cooked noodle - limp!!

I don't know how to describe this and it frustrates me to no end!!! When I get like that, my arms just "flop" like they have no muscle tone - my legs feel like they don't want to support me.

This has happened often lately and I'm trying to kinda keep track of when and what I've been doing before this happens but sometimes I'll be sitting in the car, sometimes walking, - can't seem to find a pattern or reason!

Anyone else with something like this (if you can understand this!!!) Not a good night last night so I may be just babbling - something I do seem good at lately!!
  2. JaneG

JaneG New Member

Yesterday my husband and I went to Wal-Mart to pick up a string of lights for my Nativity scene and I thought I felt pretty good until I got out of the car and started walking- my legs and arms too, felt weak - they are not numb or tingling - they kinda feel like a cooked noodle - limp!!

I don't know how to describe this and it frustrates me to no end!!! When I get like that, my arms just "flop" like they have no muscle tone - my legs feel like they don't want to support me.

This has happened often lately and I'm trying to kinda keep track of when and what I've been doing before this happens but sometimes I'll be sitting in the car, sometimes walking, - can't seem to find a pattern or reason!

Anyone else with something like this (if you can understand this!!!) Not a good night last night so I may be just babbling - something I do seem good at lately!!
  3. KellynZ

KellynZ New Member

Hi Jane

Oh you described the legs and arms thing perfectly - I have said the same words to my husband many times. I do not understand what makes our legs and arms just go out and am frustrated by it also. I have had a lot less leg weakness since I have been riding my exercise bike - I got a recumbant one so I don't have to get sore from the shape of the bike seat - at least my legs seem to be working better - I know to say to exercise sounds so contradictory to how weak you may be feeling, but just take it slow - I started by doing the weakest tension level for 15 minutes and worked up to my current level.

I am still struggling with the arms tho - can't lift much - my doc has given me skelaxin a muscle relaxant for during the day because my muscles freeze up I am hoping that if I can keep them from freezing up so much, maybe they won't get so tired and weak - I also do some light arm exercises.

Hope your Nativity looks great! Happy Holidays

Kellyn
  4. JaneG

JaneG New Member

stange to say, but I sure am glad that someone knows what I'm talking about!!
    Question - you said you are taking Skelaxin - how long and go you find this helps? Dr. gave me some samples to try -800mg 3x day- but I find I get really light-headed with this and it doesn't seem to help much. He had me on Flexeril but that just doped me up that I couldn't take it.Seems like all I do is run to the drugstore and keep changing meds!
    Thanks for your reply and by the way, the nativity looks great! Has such special meaning to me - my Mom started the collection for me and we would go every year and pick out the next piece I wanted - Mom passed away 4 years ago and I still miss those special shopping trips. Christmas is a hard time for me - even after 4 years. Gotta sign off - getting kinda weepy. Happy holidays to you too - JaneG
  5. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

HELLO JANE,
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I HAVE HAD FMS FOR A LONG TIME AND I GET SO WEAK THAT SOMETIMES IT IS ALL I CAN DO TO TAKE A SHOWER AND GO TO THE BTHRM. IT IS SCARY, I ALSO HAVE BAD MEMORY PROBLEMS, MIND GOES BLANK WHEN I TALK TOO OTHERS. FMS IS SUCH A MULTI SYMTOM ILLNESS WHICH IS ONE OF THE REASONS WE HAVE SUCH A HARD TIME GETTING DRS KNOWLEDGABLE
    ENOUGH TO TREAT US. HANG IN THERE THOUGH THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER. AT LEAST NOW THEY HAVE A NAME FOR IT. YEARS AGO THEY CALLED HYPOCONDRIA. DR WOULD GET THE GLAZED LOOK AND TELL YOU NOT TO WORRY.ARE YOU FINDING THE INFO ON THIS SITE OKAY? GOD BLESS
    1MAQT
  6. JaneG

JaneG New Member

I certainly am finding this site more than useful -- for once I don't feel like I'm imagining some symptons!!

I kept thinking that I couldn't possibly have all these "little things?" bothering me -ie noodle legs and arms, not being able to finish a sentence sometime with the right word, being so darned tired all the time but most of all it has been hard trying to explain to people without knowledge of this DD how I feel!!! At least on this board, I know you understand and even if you don't, you don't think I am imagining(sp?) it.

My cousin called me yesterday and asked how I was, and when I said lousy, she asked why - she said I was having a pretty good day the day before, how come I was lousy today? Ya know what? I DON'T KNOW WHY ONE DAY IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER!!! I think that is what is so frustrating to me - one day goes pretty well and the next day, I feel like a big truck has run over me!!!

Ok, got to get my mood together - eldest son is coming in today for the holidays and I am going to try and be as positive as I can - I actually find myself trying not to discuss this DD with family - figure they are as sick of hearing about it as I am feeling it!!

Thanks for your kind words - smiles to you-JaneG
  7. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

your description of "limp noodles". I have been having this symptom for the last 2 weeks and it is driving me nuts. Housekeeping is murder; bathing is terrible;I feel so tense yet my muscles feel so weak. It's a double-edged sword - I'm not sure how to treat it.

Some days are good and some just really stink! Hoping for for more of the better ones. Lisa
  8. shalee

shalee New Member

Hello,
    If you find an answer let me know. I have the same problems!!! I am a 30 year old mom of three kids under the age of 4. I pray to God everyday to keep me moving and remembering the things I need too.
    I would love any advise or help. Merry Christmas. Keep you chin up. Shalee
    [This Message was Edited on 12/19/2002]
  9. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Be interesting to know how many others have this problem. The docs keep telling us no muscle weakness with FM. BS!!

-Marcus
  10. dlizard

dlizard New Member

my arms "don't feel like mine anymore".... they are so weak I can no longer fix my hair so I just wear it however LOL>>> and ok ya'll .... its curly! it never used to be..... but since the fibro diagnosis it's gotten downright nappy LOL>>>>> anyway, yes... weak arms weak neck weak everything some days..... and no "they" don't know or understand.... it's very frustrating! Good luck!
  11. Lanie

Lanie New Member

I call them my noodle arms. lol Sometimes the pain is so bad, you know it's coming, sometimes it sneaks up on you. I got out of the shower the night before last, and my whole body was limp and noodly. I hate that weak and limp feeling.

Lanie
  12. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I have had FMS sypmtoms for years but only offically dianosed this year. Your description of what happens
    is "PERFECT". One minute your doing ok and the next minute
    your limbs turn to cooked pasta.
  13. dobegood

dobegood New Member

Have I been misinformed but do Doctors in USA say that FM does not involve muscle weakness?
    I've read several Norwegian, Swedish and Danish articles just now to see if Doctors here agree and it seems they DO NOT AGREE.

Several of the articles mentioned the following symptoms on FM:
    - Muscle pain
    - Tiredness (most sucsessfully treated with Cortisone)
    - Not being able to sleep
    - Tender points all over the body
    - Eye dryness
    - Twitches in legs and arms
    - Muscle weakness which progresses

Perhaps they have come further in their studies here?
    It was mentioned when it came to muscle weakness over time that the best way to "treat" that was LIGHT exercise to strengthen the muscles but if done too hard, muscle pain would only increase.

I have JRA myself but my mother has FM, CFS and Lupus.
    She has had muscle weakness for years.
    She also has back cramps which places her in a chair for a week at the time, using heavy pain killers and heat to reduce it. I have seen BIG bumps in her back, as if it's swollen. Anyone else had that?

Anyway, I am surprised at this knowledge.
  14. JaneG

JaneG New Member

this board is the best place!! Noone else can understand me like you people!!!

Since I'm relatively new to this DD - dr. said fibro about a year ago and quite frankly, the biggest symptom I had to deal with until recently was the fatigue and the fact that my legs felt like someone tied a cement block on them!

Now, since my last surgery in July, the symptoms have gotten progressively worse - is this just a very long "flare" or what? The only thing I feel good about is that you people are validating some of my complaints.

Have a rheumy dr. appt. the first of the year, and have decided I have some heavy questions for him and expect some reasonable answers or will need to find another dr! He seems to just want to give me injections and send me on my way. This board has educated me so much that I'm sure he won't like all my questions!!

Okay - only typing for a minute and the "noodle arms" are coming on - and yes, sometime I have terrible pains and they go limp, other times, just limp with no warning. And I agree - my hair looks AWFUL most days as I cannot hold my arms up to blow dry or curl it without pain or limpness- also have a hard time driving for same reason!!

But, I am determined - so, I will continue to ask questions, gather info, and fight back!!! Smiles to all of you who responded and helped me again!!! Jane
  15. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Most doctors in the UK and US say that Fibro does NOT involve weakness, and that if weakness is present, there is likely to be an underlying, concomitant condition (such as an auto-immune disorder -- MS etc.) However, several people on this board who have confirmed FMS (i.e. MS and other autoimmune conditions ruled out), do definitely have muscle weakness.
    Moreover, it seems to be a weakness rather unlike that encountered in MS. In FM, it's typically experienced symmetrically (i.e. both legs or arms feel weak/buckly/noodly), indicating gross muscle fatigue, whereas in MS, the symptom often presents *initially* as a heaviness/dragging of one leg or foot because the instructions are not being relayed through the nerves. This is a gross over-simplification, but there *is* a difference, I think. Heat also tends to exacerbate this in MS, but not typically in FM (though it can appear to if the muscles suddenly relax in a hot bath etc)
    I might also add that muscle weakness is considered to be the *defining* diagnostic criterion for an M.E. dx in the UK, (a condition thought to be closely related to FM).
    Anybody else with any thoughts on this?
    --Marcus

[This Message was Edited on 12/20/2002]