Weak legs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Adl123, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I have a question,and I hope someone has an answer.

In the past few months I have been getting weaker and weaker. I have CFIDS and Fibro, as well as Diabetes and some other things, then I contracted Congestive Heart Failure, and now my legs are crumbling beneath me. This has happened three times already this week, and the only thing that saved me froom being prone on the ground, was that I was near something I could grab onto.

This is getting scary. It is like I'm on the downhill part of a rollacoaster, with no uphlll part. It's all happening so fast! I thought I had at least 15 years before this started happening to me(weak legs ae a side effect of Diabetes).

Has anyone else gone through this and gotten better? Or should I face "reality" and change my life style (hah!) to that of a wheelchair bound person?

I wonder if I should move out of the mountains, closer to my relatives, (althogh I don't know how I could afford it).

I start physical therapy on Friday, to see if my legs can be strengthened.

I would appreciate any helpful hints you might have.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2005]
  2. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

You really need to let your primary doctor know what's going on. This is not a normal symptom of diabetes, as far as I know, anyway.

It certainly seems to me that it should be addressed by a doctor, and I would say right away!!

Losing your balance, and having your legs buckle under- neath you like that could indicate a neurological problem.

I wouldn't take any chances. I would call a doctor right away. Please don't wait, ok?? Good luck and let us know what's going on!! PG
  3. ontariogirl

ontariogirl New Member

Sorry no help here--but am very interested to find out if anyone has an answer cause it's been happening to me as well.

My legs haven't given out on me YET but there are times they feel like they won't support.

I'm also finding that my arms seem to be losing their strength. Sometimes when I've raised them over my head they just become limp noodles.

Hope we hear from someone with an answer!!

Marlene
  4. Megumi

Megumi New Member

I can't offer any suggestions only the input that I have been experiencing the same thing for about a year now.

The first time I really noticed it was while in Wal Mart with my daughter. 30 mins into it I was leaning on the cart for support. My daughter and I were really fearful she was going to have to go get one of those wheelchair carts. Since then I have learned to either lessen the time in big stores or be prepared to get the wheelchair thing.
    Over the past couple of months I have noticed the same thing happening in my arms.

I have tried to do minor stretch and strengthing exercises for both. I have noticed my legs are very strong when pushing or lifting however, they still can't hold me UP for any length of time.

I agree with the others that it would be best to have it checked out. I'm thinking mine has something to do with a lower back injury I suffered a few years ago. Unfortunately at this time I don't have med ins so am trying to muddle through it on my own and trying not to worry about it.

Good luck and know = you aren't alone!!
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

for your responses.

To Peppergirl - the legs collapsing is a thing that my mom had, and she said hers was from diabetes. You're right, I should tell my GP, and I will do so.

God bless you all. I was kind of scared.

Hugs,
    Terry
  6. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

especially after sitting for any long period of time, and especially at night.

This was one of the reasons why I went through all the tests for MS (all negative)- it may be a neurological problem. You had better tell your doctor about it.
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My arms often feel like I can't lift them up to wash my hair. You know how you feel after being down with the flu for a few days and then you get up and take a shower? I feel that way a lot.

Arms and legs get like jello! Most worrisome however is the pain in my thighs. Just ache horribly and this is new.

One thing my kids have noticed is that I have a tendancy to walk really fast. They have started reminding me to slow down. I get so tired when I try to go shopping that even if I only need a couple things I use a cart to lean on.

Hope you feel better. Wish I had an answer for you!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  8. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I have the same problem getting up the stairs at home. My legs feel like I've been running a marathon, and I feel like I'm 90 instead of 38. It's like there's no oxygen reaching the muscles.
  9. Megumi

Megumi New Member

Wow, I never thought of that description "no oxygen going to the muscles" but that's EXACTLY what it feels like. I wonder if they've ever done any kind of study on that?
  10. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

I have no idea if what is happening to me is the same for you, BUT? I have had FM for several yrs and I am taking amitriptyline and alprazolam at night for yrs.
    The weak leg thing started several months ago my arthritis doc put me on methetrexate and prednisone. But I just felt worse. Walking across a room and my legs felt like they would just go. I would have to stop a minute and rest before going on. I could not think of going anywher because I felt so weak. I felt so bad I went to se my family doc. he told me he thought it was the amytriptyline and gave me a prescription for lunesta and told me to start backing off the amitriptyline beginning with 1/2 the dosage and take the lunesta.

I did as he said for 2 months but kept it at half the dosage. During this time the not sleeping thing picked up again,maybe 4-5 hrs a night so I went back to the full dosage of amitriptyline. It was then I noticed that the weak leg thing had lessened with the half dosage and got worse when I went back to the full dose without the lunesta.

So I think my family doc had it right. It is time for me to go off the amitriptyline before it kills me.

So it could be one of your meds has done all it can and it's time for a change.
    Hope this helps.
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

The muscles get so knotted up that you can't move them.It's always a good idea to call your M.D.though
  12. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I have been noticing progressively weaker legs and sometimes they just don't want to hold me up. I do have an electric scooter, which is now a necessity if I plan to walk any distance, and a lift for my van.

I had an episode where my back was so bad that I could not get up and down without extreme pain, so my insurance bought me an electric wheelchair, as my scooter was getting old, and I wanted a newer one which would fit into the house better. THEY INSISTED ON AN ELECTRIC WHEELCHAIR, WHICH COST THREE AND A HALF TIMES MORE.

Go figure that.

If you have a history of congestive heart failure and diabetes, they may be combining to assist in this weakness, water physical therapy may help you without stressing your heart, and without getting overheated. Diabetes, congestive heart failure, and heat do not mix, as I am sure you know.

You may be developing either neuropathies or radiculopathies in your legs. As you did not mention pain,I would tend to believe that it would be a neuropathy or deadening of the nerves.

I gave Cardiac Anesthesia quite a bit priro to being disabled by this DD.

Good luck.
  13. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Konrad, idiopathic cardiomyopathy would be diagnosed by an echocardiogram. If this doctor thinks that CFS patients have it, then all should be tested.

Idiopathic just means that they don't know what caused it, but viral or bacterial infections or hypertension are the most frequent causes of cardiomyopathies.
  14. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

This was one of my first symptoms. About 3 years ago I was afraid to go out of the house for fear my legs would give out on me. I had a big workup and they found nothing so fibro can do this. I really didn't want to get a wheel chair since I was only 28 at the time. Then a girlfriend of mine with MS let me try her extra pair of forearm crutches and these really made it easier to walk. At first it was kind of embarrassing and I didn't use them much, but I got over that and now I use the crutches all the time and haven't once fallen.

On the bright side, the weakness hasn't progressed and there are still good days when I could walk without the crutches if I wanted to. The down side is that I've gotten psychologically dependent on the crutches and don't feel too comfortable without them, but for me its not a big problem. I really enjoy the mobility.

Hope this helps.

Jackie