Weakness in legs; difficulty walking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sweetmia, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

I know this topic has been discussed before, but my question is, Do you have difficulty walking, not due to pain, but because there seems to be a misconnect between your brain and your legs? I have CFS, and I cannot just walk, I have to think about every step I take. I have horrible weakness in my legs, so standing for long periods is impossible. In order to grocery shop, I have to hold onto the shopping cart in order to complete the task. It acts like a "walker". I hate the fatigue, but I hate this walking difficulty just as much.
    I take 600 mgs of Provigil for fatigue, many supplements and thyroid. I work full time and exercise daily, so it is not due to an atrophy of the leg muscles. I often think most people would not put up with the way I feel on a daily basis , i.e. work and exercise is difficult, but what is the alternative? Thank you for any responses and help in dealing with this.
  2. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

I know this topic has been discussed before, but my question is, Do you have difficulty walking, not due to pain, but because there seems to be a misconnect between your brain and your legs? I have CFS, and I cannot just walk, I have to think about every step I take. I have horrible weakness in my legs, so standing for long periods is impossible. In order to grocery shop, I have to hold onto the shopping cart in order to complete the task. It acts like a "walker". I hate the fatigue, but I hate this walking difficulty just as much.
    I take 600 mgs of Provigil for fatigue, many supplements and thyroid. I work full time and exercise daily, so it is not due to an atrophy of the leg muscles. I often think most people would not put up with the way I feel on a daily basis , i.e. work and exercise is difficult, but what is the alternative? Thank you for any responses and help in dealing with this.
  3. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Symmetrical weakness of leg muscles and difficulty standing for any length of time is a well-documented symptom of CFIDS/Myalgic Encephalopathy. It is due to rapid and abnormal fatigue of the leg muscles. (This symptom is discussed by Dr. Anne McIntyre in her book on M.E.). I guess the fatigue is worse some days than others, right? It sounds very typical. Of course, as the previous poster noted, other things like MS can not be ruled out without appropriate diagnostic testing, but it's worth knowing that this phenomenon *can* be explained by the CFS.
    And yes, I have it too. Frightening isn't it -- like the instructions from your brain to your legs are being garbled along the way. It tends to come and go on a daily basis with me.
    Hope you improve soon!
    Best wishes,
    Marcus

4. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

I truly appreciate all the terrific imput. I have been "turned inside out" I have had ever test conceivable.
    MRI, blood tests; seen a neurologist, ENT--the list goes on.
    I guess all I can hope for is thatwith continued hope, supplements, healthy habits, that my body eventually heals.
  5. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi SweetMia,
    Yes I have the leg weakness. It seems to be mostly on my left leg from the knee down. Sometimes in a flare, I have fibro it feels numb and I have been known to miss a curb or two. I am now experiencing that symptom and I am using a cane to stabilize myself. I go to an accupuncturist when this happens and it usually takes a month or two of treatments to get back to normal. I don't know about others but it gets worse before it gets better, so I stick with it. I hope this helps some, I know how hard and tiring this can be, I work at my husbands and my shop and I am on my feet most of the day. I also exercise 3 times a week so I know that your problem can happen even when you are taking care of yourself. Much luck and have a great week
    Fibro Hugs,(soft ones),
    Sandy
  6. Rich333

Rich333 New Member

This is my very first message on any message board. I had to tell you that I think raw potatoes are toxic. They contain solanine which is normally denatured by cooking. As a longtime PWC I know we are all sensitive to toxins. In my former life I was a biologist and an avid vegetable gardener. Hope this makes sense; one of the messages was about juicing raw potato.
    Also I have a huge problem with walking. It seems to be a wall I cannot get past good days or bad; one store I can walk around with pain but two stores like Target forget it.

Richard
  7. Roxi

Roxi New Member

Marcus was right. It's weakness of your muscles. I had the legs act up so bad for months. Walked like Robbie the Robot. Now it's the shoulders. Can barely bring my arms up over my head. After a grocery trip I'm weaker than my 80 yr old mother. I read a research report where the doctor said his patients tested out 20 years older than their age! So add 20 years to your age...and that explains a lot. It's "normal" for us to feel like this, we just all hate it!
  8. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I also have weakness in my legs. I have CFS/FM and they recently found disc fusion and arthritis in my cervical spine.

Also, get on the internet and check the side effects of Provigil. I "thought" I read that this is a side effect of it???
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, and welcome to the board. That was interesting about the potatoes, I used to eat them raw when I was a kid. But now I cook them!

I also got seriously sick from a few green potato chips, I had not noticed they were green on the edges, till the next day. But I do have IBS bad.

Would you mind expanding on the potato thing?

Glad you have joined us, and this is also the first board I ever got on too, that was almost two years ago.

If you have FM/CFS, you will really enjoy this site, there is just so much information here, from the members as well as the great articles on the 'Home' page.

Let us know what you think of the Pro Health site over all.

Shalom, Shirl
  10. Rich333

Rich333 New Member

My memory is bad short term but excellent for old trivia. I am sure I read that all parts of the potato plant contain solanine and they should never be eaten raw. The "eyes" and anything green have a much higher content but you don't want to fool with solanine. It is an alkaloid and will creep up on you. Alkaloid toxins are in Cannabis (marijuana) and many other plants. Don't trust anything that says they will not hurt you; longterm consumption of alkaloid poisons can be very destructive to the human body.
    I don't mean to sound preachy but I don't want any of us to get sicker than we already are.
    I like this board a lot. It makes me feel not so alone. Getting almost zero support from family and friends. My sister told me I am just using this illness to escape my responsibilities in life. Ouch!
    Still exploring the Pro Health site when I'm not lying around twitching and aching and fighting morbid thoughts.
    Keep positive.
    Warm thoughts to all, Richard
  11. achy

achy New Member

It's like my brain tells my legs...move...and they say, huh? what? Drives me nuts. I have been in a store, also using the cart as a walker, and my legs have gone kinda numb. I can fell them, but yet I can't. Hard to describe, & very scary. Sometimes it feels like they are just going to crumble out from under me.
    I also walk like an old lady. I can't keep up with hubby & I hate it. I just tell him to go on and I'll catch up eventually. I am only 41. My father had Rhum. Arth. in his knees and walked holding onto things. He had to get shots in his knees to keep himself out of a wheelchair. ( he died when I was 17) I remember thinking as a child how hard it was for him & prayed that I would never wind up like that. Well, here I am, holding onto the walls and backs of chairs just like he did. Now I pray I have the strength to go on like he did...(now in tears)
    I have been tested fo MS, RA, etc. All Normal. I do have Deg. disk disease. Who knows.
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy