Weakness in relation to Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angeliz1951, Sep 10, 2002.

1. angeliz1951

angeliz1951 New Member

Hi,
    I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia early this spring. I spent 3 months off work and three months on part time work. I am now back to full time, with a Drs. restriction that says I may need intermittent time away from work due to pain flare-ups. I am always in pain somewhere in my body but have tried to tolerate it. What troubles me is the days when I wake up with absolutely no energy, no strength in my hands or feet. When I stand up I feel wobbly and unsteady and all I want to do is lie down and rest. It usually lasts most of the day and by the next day it usually goes away or subsides enough that I can function. Has anyone else had similar symptoms. Also, I have a lot of trouble with dry eyes and blurry vision, and neck and shoulder pain. Would appreciate hearing from anyone regarding above mentioned symptoms.
    Thanks,
    Jean
  2. angeliz1951

angeliz1951 New Member

Hi,
    I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia early this spring. I spent 3 months off work and three months on part time work. I am now back to full time, with a Drs. restriction that says I may need intermittent time away from work due to pain flare-ups. I am always in pain somewhere in my body but have tried to tolerate it. What troubles me is the days when I wake up with absolutely no energy, no strength in my hands or feet. When I stand up I feel wobbly and unsteady and all I want to do is lie down and rest. It usually lasts most of the day and by the next day it usually goes away or subsides enough that I can function. Has anyone else had similar symptoms. Also, I have a lot of trouble with dry eyes and blurry vision, and neck and shoulder pain. Would appreciate hearing from anyone regarding above mentioned symptoms.
    Thanks,
    Jean
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Jean, welcome to the board. You symptoms are quite like most of us have. Mine are not too bad right now. But there are times that I have days and even weeks like you described.

The dry eyes, and the blurred vision is also one of the things that I get too.

I have had my eyes checked so many times, but its never nothing that anyone can do. I have about five pair of reading glasses in different vision sizes! Sometimes I don't even need glasses to read.

As for distance, well I will have a problem, then all of a sudden everything is clear again. I have bought glasses that were prescribed and by the time they were made, I didn't need them.

But have your eyes checked anyway, you never know it could be something important.

Again, welcome to the board, and will be looking forward to getting to know you better.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I have the weakness problems almost all the time. I've been off work since June; sometimes I think I can go back, most times I think probably not.

The dry eyes just started, and I can't wear my contacts any more ... the weird thing is it's mostly in one eye!

Jan ^v^
  5. mellow

mellow New Member

Hi Jean

I have the same symptoms - and then some. I have weakness at times when I feel like my legs will crumble. Every morning I wake as though I have not slept. I have vision problems. I have had my eyes checked and do wear glasses but my eyes are very dry and certain lighting affects them badly. The neck and shoulder pain is always there as well as the other pain in arms, legs, back etc. I find the best way to cope is to rest (if possible) when feeling really bad as things only get worse, avoid stress (easier said than done) don't be afraid to say NO! I think too many of us push ourselves to be normal. I do what I can and pace myself if something special is coming up. It doesn't always work as this disease tricks us at times. People don't always understand because they think you look well.
    Usually this is only a pretense and when you reach home you collapse. I know - this is me.
  6. svajainga

svajainga New Member

Hello!! I also have many days when I wake up to an incredibly overwhelming sensation of weakness all through my body.(esp.after a hot day) Usually I have to spend the day lying down every 5 minutes.(I try to imagine that I am a cat so that it seems perfectly normal and expected!) It is a very deep sort of fatigue that is so hard to explain to others.I have dry eyes also but I wonder if it is related to taking Flexeril every day.Are you on any medications that might effect your eyes?
  7. Katseye

Katseye New Member

Just the simple task of brushing my teeth takes all I have. It's pathetic. The doctors all say that exercise is the best remedy to FM and depression, but on those mornings when you feel like you've been hit by a train, it's impossible.
    I do have to admit, if I force myself to take a walk or do some stretching, it does increase my energy level and mood. The hardest part is to get moving.
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

so sorry to hear of your struggle with this fibro crap!
    welcome to the message board~
    I have the incredible weakness alot too.Those are usually the days where I'm good for nothing!
    The dry eyes is a common complaint here-I have that too.
    You mentioned the neck and shoulder pain........thats something I have almost daily.Its as if the muscles that support my head are'nt strong enough.....either that or I have a heavy head!LOL The shoulder pain is the pits too.My upper back,area between the shoulder blades,you name it.(gee I'm not sounding too happy am i?)Sorry~
    just wanted to let you feel at ease knowing that your symptoms are shared by many of us FM'ers.Hope you get some relief and nice to hear from you.
    warm regards,
    Tracey
  9. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I've had the periodic weakness in limbs and neck & shoulder pain for many years(especially during the cooler months). A more recent "addition" has been increasing blurred vision. I had dismissed in to eyes over 40 until I started reading more messages on this board.
    I have prescription glasses, but I get blurring and wavy
    images throughout the day. Guess what part of my job entails...looking through a microscope. If anyone looks at
    a sample I have under the scope, more & more frequently they tell me it's out of focus. I wonder how much longer I can do this kind of work.
  10. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

fast and eazy at the eye docs. He did the lower 2 first to see if that did the job and later the 2 upper ones. It is great! No more dry eyes and no more eye drops to moisten them. Vision. Ours always changes it's just part of FMS both eye doc and FMS speciaist say. I have different strength reading glasses for when I need them. I have found cervical traction really helped the spasums in neck shoulders, er go, reduced pain. I also did lumbar traction for my back. I also do warm water hydrotheropy and love it and the chiropractor has gotten my neck down feeling a bit better, I have only started the chiro 3 weeks ago. Last time was 3 years ago. Warm water Hydro theropy suspended at Nova Care a year ago and again now. I take Ritilin 21/2 to 5 mgs as needed up to 15 mgs per day. It has really helped the energy part. We have CFS to. Gary takes Provigil as of today he was on many other stimulants and hopes it helps him more. Pain meds I now take Norco like Percicet. I take 4 Somas a day for spasums some take Flexeral and others. I like the Soma for me and Gary Flexeral. And other meds. Its a trial and error type thing. Everyone is different and every med works differently for each and combos of meds. I also get steroid shots every 3-4 months and boy they really help me a lot. It took a few times to get longer results with the shots. If you are going towards disability then you should try different proticals and if they don't work use your worst day senerio for application. Gary is on SSDI and I retired 9 years ago. He wasn't able to work for more then a few hours per day and unable to concintrate or get work done and had to reread work to remember. It's good to be prepaired for SSDI if you can't do the work even pt time. Gary was lucky he applied for SSDI in Feb and Accepted in July. We knew this was coming and prepaired in advance with all the docs info and PT's and all. Our doc said never lie but, worst day senerio is best to write. I did all the paper work and phone work for Gary with SSDI and others. Doc told us that is good. He also looses bills can't bal. cheque book remember his meds, be comfortable in any position etc. I do it. These things help show how you can't function. Talk to your doc. Ours recommended that Gary go out.

I hope you are able to find some relief and I hope this helps out some.

Good to have you hear we have found this board to be the best. Kim and Gary

Sorry forgot weakness. The water theropy puts me down a bit but, after a couple weeks it helps my weekness some and then gives me some energy. I am going to the Nerologist for an EMG ( I am a big chicken here I have heard it is the worst torture. Some days I can't stand up that is one reason I went back for the water therupy. The suspended kind. I can't do the standing in a pool. [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2002]
  11. PAT

PAT New Member

I am sorry you have to go through this. It so frustrating to have that overwhelming fatigue. Those days, I try so hard just to keep on going, no matter what, but I do take several breaks during the day. I don't think anyone has found anything that can be done about it, but it is comforting to know that I am not alone! So, when you have a day like that, come to the board, and get some suppport! Patti G
  12. eeyore

eeyore New Member

I CAN UNDERSTAND PERFECTLY EVERYTHING YOU'RE SAYING. SOME MORNINGS I'M SO TIRED I HAVE TO FORCE MYSELF OUT OF BED TO GET MY KIDS OFF TO SCHOOL. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE I HAVE TO LIFT MY ARMS AND LEGS TO GET THEM TO MOVE BECAUSE THEY JUST FEEL DEAD. MY NECK AND BACK PAIN GETS REALLY BAD I CAN HARDLY TURN MY HEAD WHEN I'M DRIVING.I RECENTLY HAVE BEEN HAVING VERY LOW BLOOD PRESSURE WHICH IS MAKING ME VERY WEAK AND I'M SUPPOSED TO LAY DOWN SO I DON'T PASS OUT. I REALLY WANT TO GET A PART TIME JOB JUST TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE BUT I'M SO AFRAID I WON'T BE ABLE TO DO IT ON SCHEDULED DAYS(I COULD REALLY USE THE EXTRA MONEY).I HOPE YOU HAVE SOME GOOD DAYS SOON. WHEN PEOPLE ASK ME HOW I AM I SAY "AS LONG AS I'M STANDING UPRIGHT I'M HAVING AN OK DAY."KEEP READING THE MESSAGES THEY REALLY HAVE HELPED ME, TO KNOW THEIR ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT TRUELY UNDERSTAND.