weaning myself off cymbaltahelp

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FOYBOYFOY, Mar 23, 2007.

1. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

i have been on cymbalta for ten months. i was depressed and thought i was going to die ten months ago. God has decided to keep me around a bit longer and my fear of dieing is gone. ive decided to wean myself off of

cymbalta. i have some vestibular/vertigo issues but the last ten days been hell. even driving i get dizzy and nauses. it just dawned of me maybe its since i cut back on my cymbalta. i know thatS powerful stuff with many side-effects

and that one of the reasons ive decided to get off this stuff. but it just dawned on me maybe thats why im so damn dizzy of late??? anyone have any wisdom to share on this subject. GOD BLESS AND THANKS FOY

GOING TO A VESTIBULAR CLINIC IN LA NEXT MONTH.
  2. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

I had the exact same problems you described when I weened myself off of cymbalta. I was on 60mg per day. I started by taking one every other day, when i was ok with that, then I'd take it every three days and so on. It took about a month. But with each week the symptoms were not as strong and it was more tolerable.

Hope ypu feel better soon.
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I wanted to share - my husband also had this same problem and was cured by Dr. Robert Baloh at UCLA. Dr. Baloh actually researched and developed the treatment. They called it Benign Postural Vertigo.

It is caused by tiny calcium particles in the inner ear. Dr. Baloh performed a series of movements with my husband that dislodged the particles and cured the problem. Afterwards he had to sleep upright for a few nights and it never came back. That was five years ago.

Here are info and credentials on Dr. Baloh..

Robert W. Baloh, M.D.
    UCLA Neurology
    Reed Neurological Research Center
    710 Westwood Plaza, Rm C-246A
    Los Angeles, CA 90095-1769
    Phone: 310-825-5910
    rwbaloh@ucla.edu

Educational Background:
    Post Graduate 1969-1972 UCLA Medical Center
    Los Angeles, California
    Residency - Neurology
    1968-1969 University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Residency - Internal Medicine
    1967-1968 University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Residency - Medicine

Medical 1963-1967
    University of Pittsburgh
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    M.D., 1967

Undergraduate 1960-1963
    University of Pittsburgh
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    B.A., 1963

HONORS

1995 Guest of Honor, 32nd Annual Meeting of the Spanish Society of Otorhinology, Madrid, Spain
    1994 Morris B. Bender Lecture, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York
    1992 Hallpike/Nylen Prize, Bárány Society Meeting, Prague, Czechoslovakia
    1987 Elaine GCF Tso Lecture, Centennial Conference, University of Hong Kong
    1987 E. Graeme Robertson Lecture, Annual Meeting of the Australian Association of Neurologists, Coolangotta, Australia
    1979-1986 Course Chairman, AAN national meeting
    1976-1977 Outstanding Teacher Award, UCLA Department of Neurology
    1972 Jean-Louis Riehl Award for Neurologic Research as a Resident in Neurology, UCLA
    1967 Magna Cum Laude, Medicine, University of Pittsburgh
    1966 Alpha Omega Alpha, University of Pittsburgh
    1963 Phi Beta Kappa, University of Pittsburgh
    1963 Alpha Epsilon Delta, University of Pittsburgh
    1963 Magna Cum Laude, Mathematics, University of Pittsburgh

Clinical Specialty:
    Dizziness
    Vertigo
    Tinnitus
    Imbalance
    Migraine

Research Interest:
    Vestibular physiology
    Aging
    Genetic mutations
    Ataxia

SELECTED PUBLICATIONS:

Baloh RW, Yue Q, Jacobson K, Honrubia V. "Persistent direction-changing positional nystagmus. Another variant of Benign positional nystagmus?" Neurology 45:1297-1301 (1995)

Baloh RW, Yue Q, Socotch TM, Jacobson KM. "White matter lesions and disequilibrium in older people. I. Case-control comparison." Archives of Neurology 52:970-974 (1995)

Baloh RW, Foster CA, Yue Q, Nelson SF. "Familial migraine with vertigo and essential tremor." Neurology 46:458-460 (1996)

Baloh RW, Yue Q, Furman JM, Nelson SF. "Familial episodic ataxia: Clinical heterogeneity in four families linked to chromosome 19p." Annals of Neurology 41:8-16 (1997)

Yue Q, Jen JC, Nelson SF, Baloh RW. "Progressive ataxia due to a missense mutation in a calcium-channel gene." American Journal of Human Genetics 61:1078-1087 (1997)

Baloh RW. "Neurotology of migraine." Headache 37:615-621 (1997)

Baloh RW, Corona S, Jacobson KM, Enrietto JA, Bell T. "A prospective study of posturography in normal older people." Journal of the American Geriatric Society 46:438-443 (1998)

Yue Q, Jen JC, Thwe MM, Nelson SF, Baloh RW. "De novo mutation in CACNA1A caused acetazolamide-responsive episodic ataxia." American Journal of Medical Genetics 77:298-301 (1998)

Baloh RW, Honrubia V. "Childhood onset of Benign positional vertigo." Neurology 50:1494-1496 (1998)

Kerber KA, Enrietto JA, Jacobson KM, Baloh RW. "Disequilibrium in older people. A prospective study." Neurology 51:574-580 (1998)

Hotson JR, Baloh RW. "Acute vestibular syndrome." New England Journal of Medicine (339:680-685 (1998)

Buttner N, Geschwind D, Jen JC, Perlman S, Pulst S-M, Baloh RW. "Oculomotor phenotypes in autosomal dominant ataxias." Archives of Neurology 55:1353-1357 (1998)

Baloh RW. "Vertigo." The Lancet 352:1841-1846 (1998)Baloh RW. "The dizzy patient. Presence of vertigo points to vestibular cause." Postgrad Med 105:161-172 (1999)
    Enrietto JA, Jacobson KM, Baloh RW. "Aging effects on auditory and vestibular responses. A longitudinal study." Amer J Otolaryngol 20:371-378 (1999)
    Ishiyama A, Jacobson KM, Baloh RW. "Migraine and benign positional vertigo." Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 109:377-380 (2000)
    Lee H, Lopez I, Ishiyama A, Baloh RW. "Can migraine damage the inner ear?" Arch Neurol 57:1631-1634 (2000)
    Baloh RW. "Treatment of the common causes of vertigo." J Audiol Med 9:135-159 (2000)
    Oh AK, Lee H, Jen JC, Corona S, Jacobson KM, Baloh RW. "Familial benign recurrent vertigo." Am J Med Genet 100:287-291 (2001)
    Tang Y, Whitman GT, Lopez I, Baloh RW. "Brain volume changes on longitudinal magnetic resonance imaging in normal older people." J Neuroimaging 11:393-400 (2001)
    Ishiyama G, Ishiyama A, Jacobson K, Baloh RW. "Drop attacks in older patients secondary to an otologic cause." Neurology 57:1103-1106 (2001)
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

When going completely offCymbalta, my doctor gave me a small dose of Prozac to ease things and it did help. I was easily able to get off Prozac.]

Just a note to let you know my experience. I have withdrawn from both Effexor and Cymbalta....I would never, let me repeat, never take either of the meds again.

Best wishes with finding a good plan to withdraw. See your doc.

Sue
  5. Islebabe

Islebabe New Member

DO IT! I DID!~ISLEBABE
  6. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

7. mujuer

mujuer New Member

and had a heck of a time. I had all kinds of problems and I shouldn't have done it without telling my dr. I just didn't think it was helping. It was one of the hardest things I've ever came off of and it was no fun. Call your dr. is what I would advise.

I happened to be wrong about it not helping me though. My aches, pains, twitches and spasms started occuring tenfold within a month later. I went thru the winter like this and just recentely went back on Cymbalta after finding out that the F.D.A. just approved it as the first rx for fibro and boy do I feel better. I'm sorry I went off of it now but thats just me.
  8. bookworm313

bookworm313 New Member

Withdrawal Symptoms! I have taken Lexapro and am on Effexor and am considering changing to Cymbalta, but with either of my medications if I missed a day or two I would feel sick and dizzy, vertigo off and all that. I would take the pill again and poof! it was gone. Never go off cold turkey...wean yourself slowly and asking your doctor to help is a very very good idea.
  9. pain333

pain333 New Member

I just found and signed in on this sight. I could not read any further untill I replied to your post. I also am weaning off Cymbalta. Go Cymbalta Withdrawls "google it" You will find so much info. it will take you weeks to read it. I do not remember which link I clicked on but at th top of the page it says "Presciption Drug Watch" it will also say page 1 of 89 or90, this link had the most info, but the others are also VERY INFORMING and eye opening. I hope this helps you out? I would love to hear back on your thoughts, findings? pain333
    [This Message was Edited on 03/27/2007]
  10. SunnyShine

SunnyShine New Member

I had to take a low dose of Prozac to get me off Cymbalta. I reduced my dosage as gradually as I could but felt dizzy and sick for weeks.

My understanding of why the Prozac helps is that it has a longer half-life in your body than Cymbalta does so the withdrawals are not as severe.

Good luck!
  11. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Hello Foyboyfoy,

So sorry to hear of this terrible ordeal. It definitely sounds like withdrawal symptoms. It can happen while withdrawing from many depression medications.

You can get help with the vestibular/vertigo trouble. There are prescription medicines that work for me. Every now and then I get a spell of this. Meclizine works very well for me. It has been around for a long time. There may be better medicines available now.

No need for you to suffer with this though. Call or visit your doctor!

Hope you are over this soon,

Andy