Weather/Climate Fibromyalgia/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Member, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Member

Member New Member

My husband and I are seriously considering relocating to New Mexico. We spent a few days there and I could not believe how good I felt. No attacks of Fibro or CFS and no problem incurred with osteoarthritis. I have been researching the weather webpages and meterologists and it appears that due to low humidity and the lack of extreme cold weather pushing down from Canada, that this might be an option. I live in Chicago, IL and the weather here plays a dominant role in how I will feel on a daily basis.
    Thanks so much for your input. Pat
  2. Member

Member New Member

My husband and I are seriously considering relocating to New Mexico. We spent a few days there and I could not believe how good I felt. No attacks of Fibro or CFS and no problem incurred with osteoarthritis. I have been researching the weather webpages and meterologists and it appears that due to low humidity and the lack of extreme cold weather pushing down from Canada, that this might be an option. I live in Chicago, IL and the weather here plays a dominant role in how I will feel on a daily basis.
    Thanks so much for your input. Pat
  3. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I was there for 2 weeks when I was younger and boy oh boy was it ever cold. It was during the last 2 weeks of Oct. and that wind chilled me to the Bone, I had never felt a chill like that before.
    I don't blame you for wanting to find a warmer place to live, I live in Ca. but we have lousy weather at times and I still Hurt.

I used to live in Idaho, and that was bad during the Winter, plus the Doctors up there suck, pardon me.
    I was always sick, and my Body would stiffen up so that it was hard to move around.

Hope you find a place that will help you, I plan on moving to Az when my Son retires, he and his wife, my B-D-I-L, have some property there and are planing on Building ahome there.

They better hurry, or I won't be able to.

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have a friend who is living in New Mexico right now and loves it. They have just put their 14 acre ranch there up for sale, and are moving back here to west central Florida to be with their son, who is attending school here.
    Where they live,there are more elk than people, and you can still see all of the stars at night. My idea of heaven.
    She is very healthy, but the cold did get to her somewhat after living in Florida. It got down to zero a few times each winter.
    I am from Madison, so I know what Chicago weather is like, and IMO, anything would be an improvement!
    Good luck,
    Klutzo
  5. maleficent4310

maleficent4310 New Member

I was born in Milw, Wi, lived a couple of years in Ill, a few years in Tx, then south Fl, to N.C., Ohio, Az, and now North Fl. My husband might be transfered soon to LA too. I know all about weather. I have lived in every kind there is I think. Az was my favorite place so far. My pain was not nearly as bad there as is it here. The humidity is eating me alive, and now that is is getting cooler on top of the dampness, I am in more pain now than ever before. I wish you luck in your quest. I think it will help quite a bit.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Good luck with your move. I can't make comparisons, I am from New Orleans, and have lived in the City all my life, I moved to the north side of Louisiana eight years ago for the peace and quiet! Its a little colder here in the winter, but thats about the only difference.

The humidity and dampness is horrific here, and it does make Fibro worst, I think.

Yesterday, I had pains all over my body, it was storming etc. Today the sun is out and its about 65 degress and its just beautiful and I feel fine! Who knows? Fibro and the weather are a lot alike to me.

I hope you find what is best for you.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

This morning I awoke 4 hours after falling asleep and had took a pain pill then,My daughter called and said there was a tornato 5 miles from me I dont know if it was stress that it might hit here(Georgia)or the change in presure.I live in Ft lauderdale,fla and suffered ther too and cal , alabama and now ga the changes in weather still got me.Dont know about mexico but have been there but dont they get cold at times hope the change helps you LindaGa
  8. Member

Member New Member

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question regarding our possible relocation. Know that each of you are in my prayers. This site means so much because we all share the same problems and the understanding and compassion always come through. Thanks again
  9. kay

kay New Member

all over also, being a military brat! I am now in Knoxville Tn. and the summers here wipe me out. The humidity kills me. I cant stay out side much. I Lived in Nevada for years and have been to Az, several times and I can handle the dryness any time compared to dampness! We were also pretty close to were the tornado came threw the other night. We were at my daughters house (that they just built)and I was so nervous, and tense that I had to take a pain pill as soon as I got home! I thought well--- there goes the kids new home! TOO close for comfort!!!1
  10. Member

Member New Member

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's home. We saw pictures on TV that were so unbelievable. I've heard from a few people whose homes were destroyed. I'm sure the stress affected how you felt as well. Take Good Care........your friend....Pat
  11. lucky

lucky New Member

the weather plays a big role in FMS and CFS - not only physically but emotionally as well I find. A damp wet and dark day will sap you out of your last spirits and one is hurting all over. Barometric pressure is another problem which can make a lot of us miserable. If anybody lives in Chicago, the windy city, or like me in Toronto, which is also very windy during the winter at times, it is a great bonus if one can flee to a warmer climate for a while. Anywhere where it is sunny and no snow and wind and ice will do. I start packing already, although it is not that bad yet for this time of the year. Kind regards, Lucky
  12. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

The weather definitely plays a role in symptoms, but from everything I've read, and from what my rheumy has told me, it affects everyone differently. Apparently! I've read several postings which say that humidity makes the symptoms worse, and that seems to be the case with the majority. For me, however, the higher the humidity the better I feel...so long as it is WARM. I live in the Upper Peninsula (of Michigan) and we don't have a major heat problem here, not even in the summer. However, we do get a few hot humid spells that wipe out "normal" people, and that's when I feel my best! A couple of times each winter I go to Mexico for a week, just to get some relief and to keep from becoming suicidal (I don't tolerate pain well...hell of a disease to have for a wimp like me!), and within 2 days, I feel almost asymptomatic! I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to find the climate that works for you. Like everything else with FM, though we have many things in common, we respond best to different things. I pray you find what works for you!
    Softest Hugs and best wishes
    Stormy
  13. pepper

pepper New Member

I live in Ottawa, Ontario - I guess we're the ones sending all that cold weather down to Chicago :) ! Besides the cold, Ottawa is very humid both summer and winter. According to my CFS doc, his patients who have shown the most improvement are the ones who have moved to Arizona. He figures the dry climate and the warmth are better for us.

As for me, I am much better in the winter than summer. I cannot tolerate the heat (then again, it may be the humid heat) and feel better once the snow starts to fall. I think I will sit outside today - it is -3 degrees Celsius with 30 cm of snow falling (that's 12 inches)! But for some weird reason I feel better in this weather. I do think I am unusual for a CFIDS patient - most prefer the heat. Maybe it's my thyroid which is way off.

New Mexico weather must be similar to Arizona's, isn't it? Good luck with your decision. Pepper