Weather make symptoms worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KNEWBERRY, Sep 9, 2009.

KNEWBERRY New Member

I was diagnosed with CF/Chronic Epstein Barr/Fibro 3 years ago. Earlier this year I had a horrible flare that lasted almost 5 months! I was ready to throw in the towel. Since June I have good days and bad days. Is it normal to panic when a bad day comes around? I get myself all worked up preparing for a bad flare again and feel myself sinking back into depression. Also, does the weather affect your symptoms? On rainy days I can feel my body tensing up and begin aching. I am addicted to this site and would not know what to do w/o these message boards. It is so helpful to know you are not alone.
  2. daboysone

daboysone New Member

I have FM and def. the weather has an affect on my pain! I stress over when my next flare will be also however I have started a new medication regimen and I seem to be doing pretty good with it so far. Hope you feel better! M

KNEWBERRY New Member

Thank you for your reply. The changing of symptoms can sometimes make you feel crazy, and making others understand can be next to impossible. If I may ask, what regimen are you currently on? I try my best to only take my Savella, but I am scared that I may have to go back to my pain medication and Anti-depression med as well. I try to be strong and go w/o the meds but I believe it makes it worse.
  4. jole

jole Member

Yes, the weather definitely makes a big difference to nearly all of us when it comes to pain. Any change in atmospheric pressure worsens my pain. This summer has been unusually bad for me with so many fronts. I usually do much better in the summer, but not this year.

Just wondering....why would you not want to take your pain medication and antidepressant? If they were prescribed for you, you must need them. I know none of us like to take meds when we know they all have side effects, but I'd rather have some risk than to not have a life. That's just my opinion, and I know not everyone feels the way I do.

Have you tried any alternative meds...herbals, supplements for the depression, pain, etc? Some people do well with them if you don't want to take prescription meds, but please don't try to "be strong". Pain has lasting effects also, as does depression, and you want to be as well as you can be.

Wishing you the best.....Jole
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Yes, the weather nearly kills me. I flare up as soon as the weather changes. Particularly, end of August, November, March. If it's going from hot to colder or colder to hotter, bang, I get a massive flare up. Rain, too, will kill me. If it's going to rain, I am in so much pain.

Very oddly, February, I will feel better for a short period of time. And I've never known why. I'll be cold, but I feel my best in February for at least a week and really haven't a clue why. Different atmospheric pressure? Less mold? Who knows. But something about February for just a short period of time makes me feel better.
  6. loto

loto Member

I have only been diagnosed with Fibro.
    Yes, the weather does make my symptoms worse, and that makes me so low and depressed at times that all I want to do is be alone and cry my eyes out. It seems lately that I've had a need to do just that more often than I used to. And that scares me. I used to not let it all get to me so badly, thought I was handling everything pretty good. I'm just so scared now that I'll get really low and terribly depressed and not be able to come out of it. I do not want to end up like that. That's how people with our diagnoses and disorders end up not wanting to live anymore. This message board helps me also, I just wish we could all meet in person and support each other.

7. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I have FMS and I'm a walking barometer!

Autumn weather is the worst for me, then Winter, then Spring, then Summer. Any change in barometric pressure puts my pain level up a few notches.

Cold windy days are impossible.

Take care. Fay