Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Mar 3, 2009.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I live in Pennsylvania where the weather is ever changing, sometimes hour by hour.

I have thought about moving to Arizona to live with my sister - does weather really make a difference with FM/CFS?
  2. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

I live in PA also and can tell you from personal experience that I feel much worth during the colder months.
    My sister-in-law also has fibro and when she visits family in Florida, she says her pain is much lower and she is able to do more things.
  3. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I live in Iowa which has the same weather as you do. It's always cold and damp here, swinging from one temp to the other in a week's time. I'm so much worse in the winter, plus I don't get the walking in to help me, either. When it's spring and summer I can get outside and walk a little which helps.
    However! Extreme heat bothers me, too. Arizona a good thing?
    I bought flannel sheets for my bed and boy!!!! does this help keep me warm at night. It's like a cocoon.
    Good luck, Marj!
  4. petemora

petemora Member

Too sick to travel to Arizona - even though my best friend ever has a beautiful cabin in the mountains, a lovely home in the desert, and an open invitation to come anytime and stay for as long as I want....

Janice P.
  5. roseants

roseants New Member

I was diagnosed while living in south Florida, and later moved to Az. the pain and fatigue tripled! The pressure changes are really drastic and it made me feel so much worse. The intense heat and total lack of moisture made the pain almost unbearable. I live in Central Tx now, so it is the best of both worlds. It's slightly humid, and warm, but it never gets too cold.

Good luck to you!
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

I live in PA also, and this winter has been just awful!!!!

The ups and downs, the frigid, damp weather - the worst!~~

I have had such a hard time this winter
  7. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I live in IL and weather makes a huge difference for me....too cold and the pain gets a lot worse, too hot and I feel extremely weak & exhausted and sometimes even pass out...too little sunlight and I am more tired, have more pain, and get really the humidity levels affect my asthma....for me low humidity and 60 - 75 degrees is nearly perfect, I can handle as low as 50 and as high as 80, but out of that range and I feel dramatically worse....would love to move to southern or central CA, but cannot afford it alone
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

I am laughing as I am reading your post, because I am the SAME WAY

65 and no humidity is fine by me

My husband says we need to move to Bermuda - constant temps

Never could afford that though!!!
  9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Bermuda sounds pretty good too! Nice to know I'm not the only one....people seem to think I'm nuts (if they don't have this dd), but like I said, the weather really does make a big big difference.
  10. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

Prescott Arizona is very nice and does not get to hot in the summer and even snows lightly in the winter. I researched this and went to check it out. I have not been able to move there yet. But I think it would be a good place for us.
  11. shoobiegirl67

shoobiegirl67 New Member

Pennsylvania weather is the worst for fibromyalgia. Its cold its warm likea rolller coaster. I hve to up my meds every winter . IM always tired and very achy.
  12. Achyten

Achyten New Member

I live in Alberta, Canada,, have fm,cfs,hypothyroidism, IBS, TMJ and everything else that goes with these dd. I spend most of my time indoors in the winter,, so I also suffer from SAD,,so if I could pick and choose where to live, it would still be in Canada,, because I can't take the heat,,I can't sit out in the sun on hot day, or I get worse. These past few years, I"ve been keeping close watch on the temps and weather conditions in the US,, and really there isn't very much difference in a lot of the states. Of course there are the hot states,, like Texas, usually the southern part ones,,so there'd be no way I could live in those either. Canada is not so changing in the days of the temps,,, more on an even keel,, for lack of better words,, lol. I just have to wear heavier clothing in the winter time,, but our temps in the winter aren't that much different. I have friends from all over the states that I talk to on almost daily basis,, and their weather isn't that much different,,,maybe a few degrees thats about it,,, like maybe 5 degrees.
    I know what you all mean though by moving to a different area, and feeling better,but if I had to choose what state it would be Arizona for me. I have a cousin that moves there every fall for the last 20 years,,and they say when the night comes you have to put on coats, cause it does get chilly,,,sounds like Canada....
    Today,, I was in more pain because the wind was so strong last night and never slept very well.
    The little changes in weather bother me too,, our bodies make great weather forecasters...whether from cold to warm or vice versa,, and the humidity plays a large role in our wellness too.
    Anyway,, hope I made sense,,, lol.
    It's just that I don't think it makes any difference where I live.....

Love & Hugssssss, Achyten

FOYBOYFOY New Member

i live in the prescott area which is so beautiful but its the high desert, 5,000 ft. ive been told my a few of my 16 doc that the high altitude and cold isnt good for me.(lupus and fm)
    we have actually thought of moving back to cal because i can tell the winters hear kick my ace.
    but if your talking tuson, phoenix that just might make a big diff. maybe visit for a month and see how you feel. GOD BLESS AND GOOD LUCK FOY
  14. loto

loto Member

Hi aunttammie. i live in southern illinois. i hate hate hate winter. even though it doesn't get drastically cold here in winter, anything under 60 degrees makes me hurt so bad. and now that spring is near, and it's warm one day and cold the next, it drives me crazy. and then in summer when it's hot and humid, i feel sick and miserable, and it drains my energy also. i'd love to live somewhere where it stays warm and sunny all the time
  15. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I live in a suburb of Chicago (Woodridge....rt next to Naperville), and it does get brutally cold here....have lots of relatives in southern Il, though, in the Jacksonville, Springfield area, so I have been there many times, & have also been further south, though not in recent yrs (traveling kills me)...where are you?

Oh and I know what you mean about weather fluctuations....they are really tough
  16. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I live in PA and the humidity today is killing me. I am in so much pain and stiffness all over. Yes, the weather does make a huge difference. I just die when the weather changes. Too much heat and I get terrible NMH/POTS attacks. Too much cold and I feel like I'm going into hypothermic shock. I don't do good with weather changes.
  17. 3gs

3gs New Member

Weather is not my friend! This winter was brutual.

I predict better than the weatherman can feel the slightest change. I live in Ut. and its awful Thought about moving to Oregon but afraid the rain would make it worse.
  18. tut90

tut90 Member

where you live, I live in Florida by the east coast, this winter was a bit cold, and today the temperature is in the high 70's. I think what affects us most is the barometric pressures, low or high it doesn't matter, just the changes and I feel the pain. Like 3gs, I could tell when the weather is going to change.