Week 2 with my niece

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bevy2most, Jan 9, 2008.

1. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

As many of you know I have my 5 year old niece staying with me for at least 6 months while my sister is being deployed. I thought I would give ya'll an update.
    As with most of you the holidays were hectic here, my children were home, my daughter is in college up in Dallas, and she was here for 2 weeks, and my son in the Army was here for 10 days, I am completely worn out, I have been in a flare since before Thanksgiving. My niece and my 13 year old went back to school on Tue. and I thought I would start feeling better now that life is back to "normal" I have been walking her to and from school, because I need exercise more that just my few stretches, that I have been doing in the mornings. The school is only a 15 min. walk each way, and my legs, and back start to cramp, and spasm. I feel absolutly pathetic. I guess I am just feeling sorry for myself due to not feeling well.
    Any way, my niece is at least giving me the motivation that I need to get up in the morning. The first thing she says to me when I wake her up in the morning is I love you Aunt Bevy. She is such a blessing that I don't want to dissapoint her. Her energy is boundless, and she is always jumping and pulling on me. We have made several trips to the park, and have story time every night, which my 13 year old enjoys as well. Right now we are reading James and the Giant Peach. I have the best hubby in the world, and he is great with cooking, and household chores, and getting her to jump and climb all over him instead of me. I still feel as though I am not doing enough for her. I feel as though I am not doing as much as my sis does for her, they are constantly running and doing.
    I know that we are both adjusting to a new way of life, and this is harder on her than it is on me.
    Well that is all for now, I will update later if any one is interested.
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

I don't know you, but you've really taken on a labor of love. This is a tough time for so many families, but your sister must be so glad that her daughter is safe with someone who loves her.

A couple of years ago, I spent a week with my two under-4 nephews when their mother was recovering from surgery. It was both really hard and really rewarding. I had to pace myself considerably, and (of course) I crashed when I got home. But I loved that I had gotten a chance to get to know them better than I had, and I loved that their faces lit up when I saw them afterwards.

If I were your niece, I would love having you as my aunt. I wasn't very close to any of my aunts because of distance, but it would have been wonderful to know I was as welcome in their homes as I was in my own.

Also, I don't think your niece is too young to understand about 'soft touch' vs. pulling on you. I had to teach this to my son (now 11) and my two nephews. Strangely, it was one of my (female) second cousins who had the hardest time remembering this. She was continually squeezing and pulling, etc., almost as if she was testing me.

Don't worry that you're not doing as much as your sister, I'll bet your niece is so interested by being in a different home with a 'big sister' cousin and all that's been going on that she's just getting herself adjusted. Children are capable of being very flexible -- and learning how to occupy yourself is just one of the things kids can learn (and need to know)!
  3. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Your neice so absolutely precious. They are so wonderful at that age and to hear her tell you how much she loves you brings tears to my eyes.

I've been having a wicked flare this past week. It isn't the weather making me flare either....maybe it is just because the holidays are over.

Take care and give that neice of yours a smooch from me as well!
  4. budmickl

budmickl New Member

You said your husband is great with cooking and the household chores, and letting her jump all over him instead of you... he sounds pretty special too!

Your family is so lucky to have your family there to help.

God bless all of you!

5. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

for all of the kind words, I feel super special. I am not doing anything that my sis wouldn't do for me. I will keep everyone posted on how it's going,
    Thanks again,