Weight Gain+Allergies+IBS etc. = Leaky Gut Syndrome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PatPalmer, May 13, 2003.

1. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

I have been researching to find the reason for my fatigue, digestive disorder, & achy bones/joints.

Think I have found the answer. (((((Eureka)))))

Want to share this info with you all............

Pat

Leaky Gut Syndrome

Leaky Gut Syndrome is a possibly unpleasant sounding name but it describes a gut which is inflamed and has got very porous, (much more porous than it should be), and it is letting large food proteins, bacteria, fungi, metals and toxic substances straight into our blood stream or in more scientific language, an increase in permeability of the intestinal mucosa to luminal macromolecules, antigens and toxins associated with inflammatory degenerative and/or atrophic mucosal damage. Once in the blood stream our immune system is the last line of defense to deal with these substances and it will eventually get overwhelmed if a Leaky Gut is not rectified.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diseases Caused By Leaky Gut Syndrome
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,
    Rheumatoid Arthritis,
    Asthma,
    Multiple Sclerosis,
    Fibromyalgia,
    Vasculitis,
    Crohn’s Disease,
    Addison’s Disease,
    Lupus,
    Thyroiditis,
    are only some of the Auto-Immune disorders that are all treated very effectively when a leaky gut is healed.

The inflammation caused by Leaky Gut Syndrome also damages the protective coating of the antibodies of the IgA family (immunoglobins) normally present in a healthy gut. The IgA’s help our body to ward off infections, however, a leaky gut causes considerable damage to the immune system (IgA’s) and makes us less resistant to viruses, bacteria’s, parasites, toxic materials, metals and candida.

Another problem a leaky gut creates is a mineral deficiency because the damage that happens to the carrier proteins which are needed for transport of specific minerals are damaged by the inflammatory processes. For example, a magnesium deficiency that is present in most Fibromyalgia patients. This patient can take incredibly high doses of magnesium, however, if the carrier protein for this mineral is damaged, no matter how much of the mineral you take, it will not get into the body where it is needed. This can also be true for some bone disorders. Even a zinc deficiency, which will effect hair loss and some eye disorders (macular degeneration). Copper deficiency can also occur this way which can lead to Osteoarthritis or even elevated blood cholesterol in some cases. For any syndrome that could be connected to a mineral deficiency, or exhibits symptoms that don’t seem to go away no matter what you do, you should consider the possibility of a leaky gut.

Causes of Leaky Gut Syndrome
    Our intestinal lining replaces itself approximately every 24 hours. This means that every cell that the lining is composed of is digested or sloughed off, and a new one grows to take its place. All this activity means the gut uses more blood when it is resting than any other organ but it is also the first to lose its blood supply when in a fight or flight situation, which is what stress is. If you have a lot of stress then your gut will always be starved for blood and the lining will be impaired.

Other factors which cause or worsen LGS are:

Alcohol and caffeine which irritate the gut wall, this includes cokes (diet and regular), chocolate, coffee, cocoa.
    Contaminated foods, E. coli and other bacteria’s can develop due to poor food handling.
    Chemicals found in processed and fermented foods (dyes and preservatives), wine, vinegar, soy sauce, tofu, etc.
    A diet high in refined sugars and other carbohydrates (e.g. candy, cookies, sodas, processed foods and white bread).
    Foods contaminated by parasites (pork, chicken, fresh water and hatchery fish).
    Antibiotic use-this causes an overgrowth of bacteria (yeast) in the gut due to the immune suppression that occurs.
    Ingestion of animal products that have been given hormonal and antibiotic treatments.
    NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
    Symptoms of Leaky Gut Syndrome
    Symptoms include arthritis, chronic fatigue, Candidiasis, bloating, food allergies, sinusitis, slow thought processes, headaches, lethargy, fluid retention, weight gain, diarrhoea and / or constipation, flatulence, IBS, food intolerance and many other gastric disturbances

The Steps to a Non Leaky Gut
    Don't eat sugar, refined carbohydrates, coffee, fatty foods. Also foods such as are dairy, eggs, gluten grains (wheat, oats, rye), corn, beans (especially soy), and nuts can often cause problems and some people are allergic to garlic also. Exposure to a significant allergy can sabotage the treatment. A non-allergenic diet can be obtained by eating meat, chicken, fish, vegetables, potatoes, rice, millet, and fruits.
    Avoid alcohol, especially unpasteurized beer which still has some yeast in it.
    Cleanse the gut of toxins.
    Eliminate the candida yeast and its roots in your gut.
    Eliminate any other parasites in your gut.
    Provide the right diet and supplements so your body can repair itself.
    Return the good bacteria to your gut. Lactobacillus Sporogenes can be particularly effective, or eat acidophillus yoghurt if dairy products are OK.
    Avoid NSAIDs if at all possible.
    Exercise for half an hour each day. Brisk walking is good.
    Drink pure water and lots of it!
    Weapons in the Fight Against Leaky Gut Syndrome.
    Shark Liver Oil.
    Co-enzyme Q10
    MSM.
    Olive Leaf Extract.Olive Leaf Extract
    Anti-oxidants such as vitamins A, C, E and beta carotene.Vitamin A Vitamin C 500 with Bioflavonoids Vitamin E 400 Beta-Carotene Antioxidant System
    mineral supplements particularly selenium.Selenium 200 Mcg
    Aloe Vera Juice or powdered leaf.Aloe Vera
    Lactobacillus supplements
    Colostrum
    Glutamine. Glutamine Fuel
    Digestive enzymes

The Mucous System's Role
    The mucous system in our nasal passages flushes bacteria and viral particles into our stomach where the HCl Acid should kill them. Any that get through to a normal gut should eventually be excreted. Of course a Leaky Gut will let them into the bloodstream.

Research has shown that, when available to it in sufficient levels, MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane appears to coat all the mucus membranes of the body, creating a shield through which:

Air-borne allergy-causing contaminants such as household dust (mite faeces), pollens etc. can be shielded from entering the tissue of the lungs and nasal passages, thus reducing the affects of hay fever and asthma.
    Industrial contaminants such as exhaust gasses, solvents etc. are also hindered.
    Parasites, such as Cryptosporidium, giardia, salmonella, even hookworm can be dissuaded from entering the walls of the stomach and intestines. This coating can also provide a hostile living environment for parasites.
    Provide a shield to prevent the roots of the candida yeast culture from penetrating the intestine wall, thus reducing the severity of this disease.
    Undigested food and toxins are deterred from entering the blood stream through a leaky gut thus reducing one of the most common causes of allergies and auto-immune diseases. Given time, MSM will start to repair the damage causing the gut to leak.
    People with high blood pressure need to be careful of MSM and should consult their health professional before taking it.

[This Message was Edited on 05/13/2003]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That LGS may trigger our illnesses, but I seriously doubt that it can cause our illnesses. Probiotics and enzymes are a must if we want to have a healthy gut.

Love, Mikie
  3. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Yes, I agree Mikie, It`s widely accepted there are many factors which cause CFS/FM related illnesses. ie:-

1st Predispition: genetic/emotional
    2nd Stress: physical/emotional
    3rd Diet/dehydration
    4th Long term antibiotics without Probiotics

I feel diet is definately the key as our body is one huge chemistry factory, and if deprived of nutrients and enzymes, and possibly supplements whilst under stress, - leads progressively in time to more serious conditions taking a hold.

Pat
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Leaky Gut Syndrome/IBS was one of the first things I tackled when DX'ed. Due to malabsorption, there is no point in throwing supplements down the drain, so to speak.
    Finding the cause of IBS is the first step, and remedying, is the way to begin repair of the gut. Since the lining in LGS actually becomes permeable for much larger particles to pass, one often finds systemic infections, (bacterial, fungal, etc.) that need to be irradicated as well.

I read an interesting article on the ability of Candida Albicans to permeate this now wide open, one time barrier, and can set up residence in joints, organs, and many places where the fungi should not be found, causing pain and fatigue.

In my particular case, the offending culprit was indeed a tremendous overgrowth of candida, resulting in systemic candiasis. After treating the overgrowth in both the gut and systemically (which by the way cannot be done by using Nystatin or Difulcan alone),I used Berberine Complex, I was on my way to being able to repair the damage. Probiotics with bifidobacter and acidolphilus, and GastroMyacin, began returning the flora of the gut to a much better state, after the candida was removed.

This takes awhile, and I can tell you confidently that malabsorption is a big issue. If you have not fixed this problem....you are not being afforded help from your vitamins and supplements. This needs to be a priority. I had to go to vitamin injections, at home, as I was not getting absorbtion of my oral vitamins. I now can clearly see via urine output that I am absorbing them with the injections.

Not to mention IBS---is horribly life changing and confining. I did have to chuckle about the excercising 1/2hr a day and brisk walking is good (in the above article)... .anyone with IBS knows that getting that far from the house, and walking briskly-- is risky business!!

Best wishes, LL

[This Message was Edited on 05/13/2003]
  5. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Thanks for mentioning this, LL. I have IBS, too, and that always is a consideration when I exercise (especially anything involving swimming or water exercises)!

--Laura R.M.

========================
    < Not to mention IBS---is horribly life changing and confining. I did have to chuckle about the excercising 1/2hr a day and brisk walking is good (in the above article)... .anyone with IBS knows that getting that far from the house, and walking briskly-- is risky business!!

Best wishes, LL