Weight gain or loss?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LadyMT, May 9, 2003.

1. LadyMT

LadyMT New Member

I know this topic has been posted before but I lost the thread. I am (was) taking Elavil but quit because I have gained 20 pounds! I am also on Prozac. I have heard other people talk about drugs that they are losing weight on and am wondering what they might be so I can talk to my doc about them. I am desperate. :( I have very few clothes that fit and I refuse to buy larger ones. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Debbie
  2. stepmom

stepmom New Member

I gained weight on prozac and effoxor, I am looking for some way to shed the pounds now, I gained from a size 4 to a 14!! If you have any suggestions let me know
    Thanks,
    Gena
  3. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

I just started taking Effexor XR (extended release), but I take it once a day, in the morning. I have lost nearly 20 pounds this last six weeks since starting it. I read on that other post about people gaining on this drug, but I noticed many also take it at bedtime, so this may be the difference. My MIL takes Prozac and she complained of gaining weight.

I also have been on Klonopin and Neurontin for the last 12 months. I have lost a total of about 50 lbs this past year with a total of 72 over the last two years.

Some people metabolize drugs differently I guess.

Lane
  4. LadyMT

LadyMT New Member

What is Effexor used to treat? Klonopin is another one I wrote down but I can't remember what is used to treat either. :( I also wrote down Imovane and Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin is the only one I know! :)

Thanks to all who replied!

Debbie
  5. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Effexor is an anti-depressant in a relatively new class of drugs called SNRI's.

It comes in immediate release tablets for divided doses and in timed/extended release capsules for use once a day, which is the one I take.

The tabs are normally used to treat moderate to severe depression and the capsules are used to treat severe depression with suicidal ideation or tendencies and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I understand it also has some "off-label" uses.

I use it with Klonopin and Neurontin, both are well-tolerated by my system. These were both designed originally to treat seizure disorders, but now have many more uses. Doctors don't like Klonopin as much, because they believe it can be addicting in that your body adjusts to easily to each new dose level. I personally feel it is better for anxiety, myoclonus and brain seizure activity. Neurontin is preferred over Klonopin, as the docs feel it is less hard on your system, particularly your liver and the doses can be increased safely without cause for much concern. It is considered an "add-on" therapy drug and helps some with pain. Klonopin and Neurontin work well together, especially for aid with sleeping.

Lane
  6. andyM

andyM New Member

My doc put me on 10 mg of elavil and I have been on it for a few days. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO worried about the weight gain. I have read so many people gain weight on it? Does EVERYONE gain weight on it? Is it the increased appetite that causes the weight gain or the actual med?

Any insight would be appreciated. I am thinking about going off it already after only 2 days. LOL

Thanks
  7. LadyMT

LadyMT New Member

My doc gave me a prescription for Klonopin today. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I am still on the Prozac though. We'll see how it goes!

Debbie