WEIGHT GAIN/WEIGHT LOSS..WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I know that the weight gain/weight loss issue has been discussed before, but I would like to address it again.

1) How many have gained weight over the years as a result of FMS/CFIDS?

2) How many of those who have gained weight think it is from meds? If so, which meds?

3) How many of those who have gained weight have trouble losing the weight?

I joined Weight Watchers 3 weeks ago. I lost one pound the first week. I gained it back the second week. I lost the same pound the third week.

At this rate, it is going to cost me a fortune to lose all the weight I need to lose.

Help...I would appreciate hearing about everyone's experience with weight since you've gotten ill?

Thanks,

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2006]
  2. millennia

millennia New Member

I gained 50 pounds after going on effexor. I went off of it and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't lose the weight. My docs tried other meds and I gained 20 more. Oh boy, my knees really needed that! Then I decided to go the natural way and started taking omega 3 oil instead of prescriptions. That helped a lot with the depression and the brain fog. Then someone here told us about calcium pyruvate for energy so I started taking that. It helped with energy and body builders use it to help build muscle and since we don't build muscle as quickly as other people, that seems like a good idea! But the unexpected side effects were that my sugar cravings pretty much disappeared, I stopped getting dizzy if I didn't eat every few hours and 5 months later I'm 25 pounds thinner! I feel so much better I'm even starting to exercise again!
  3. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

primarily as a result, I feel, of sleep deprivation. When I am tired I start munching trying to find that one thing that will help. It has been frustrating.

I gained weight on some antidepressants (amitriptyline was one). Stayed the same on nortriptyline and lost on effexor.

I have found it harder to lose weight as I got older. Some people do seem to have an easier/harder time losing than others even in the general population.

4. pepper

pepper New Member

I started gaining weight IMMEDIATELY after becoming ill - from lack of activity (since I was always so busy and exercised religiously) and from lack of sleep. I also think my thyroid was off then too but it didn't show up in blood tests.

When I went on Paxil, my total weight gain was almost 100 lb. But I didn't care because I felt so much better on it!

When I decided 5 yrs later that my body couldn't handle the extra weight, I went to Weight Watchers. I was starving on that program. And when I went for my weigh-in each week I would have lost or gained 1/2 lb or 1 lb. I gave up.

Then I tried Suzanne Somers and lost 60 lb. I gained some of it back but the program no longer seems to work for me. And I find it very boring.

I am now on the G.I. diet and am starting to finally lose again. This is a frustrating aspect of these DD's.

I don't sleep well so I am sure that is a big part of the problem.

Good luck, Lolalee. I hope you do better on WW than I did.

Pepper
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

And so is my twin sister. She has lymes and gets nauseated from her meds. Also is trying to eat alkaline, which means no suger etc. I am on the candida diet and have lost 10 lbs. Even though I have added a few things to my diet, like a little bit of younger cheeses and some whole grains, I lost another pound this week. I am eating over 1800 cals a day, so I know I am eating enough. And it's not like I am burning any calories because I don't move that much. I am going to add some fruit soon, and see what happens. I really don't want to lose any more weight! It's kind of nice to be so slim at 47, but shouldn't lose any more.
    Did you remove sugar and white food from your diet? My candida diet resembles the South Beach diet which my friends have used to lose a lot of weight. I know that with certain meds though, it can be tough to lose.
    Good Luck!
  6. agcgmom

agcgmom New Member

I too did the weight watchers thing and it worked for me the first time. It took me about 8 months to lose the 40 pounds I wanted but it stayed off. Then I got diagnosed with FMS and put on all the usual meds. I lost over 20 pounds too quickly because of those meds. Effexor was the worst one. It completely took my appetite away and I was so sick. The thought of food in my mouth was so awful. I had to make myself eat just to keep going. I had a difficult time tapering off the effexor but am so glad I did. I am now off most of the wicked meds because I had such a difficult time. I had to work at adding a few pounds so I wouldn't look too thin. I am at a healthy weight now and am able to eat what I want. I only take ambien, tramadol and xyrem at night now. I sleep well and feel pretty good. Sleep seems to be the key for me!
  7. insanelady

insanelady New Member

Hi all

I sure put on weight. I went from 115 to 145. Lost a couple of pounds lately but only because my Hiatis hernia and IBS were acting up and the doc put me on liquid diet. It seems I had not been taking my Zelnorm or would not be in this condition. Other then that I keep trying to get the weight off and get really mad when told by someone I have not seen in a while that I am looking hefty.

Rosie
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I went on the Candida Diet last year around this time. I lost about 10 lbs and felt a little better. Then I took several trips (still stayed on the diet as much as possible, had 2 grandchildren, ages 6 and 5, for summer vacation, got hit with a couple of hurricanes (I live on the Gulf Coast)..in other words....lots of STRESS. When I added some normal foods, the weight started to come back. I feel better than I have in a while..still avoid processed foods, white flour, sugar, etc.

I really don't have much of an appetite, so my body is probably in "starvation mode" and hanging on to all my fat.

By the way, I decided to try Weight Watchers because no foods are forbidden. I have tried so many restrictive diets that seem to work for a little while and then I have gained more weight when I started eating normally (which is pretty healthy to begin with).

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2006]
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

bumping for more responses..

Thanks to all who have responded.

Lolalee
  10. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

In September 2000, I became pregnant. Gained only 25lbs right up to the last month before giving birth.

Got pre-eclampsia -- bad. Gained 25lbs in one month. Had c-section. Weighed exactly the same after returning home as I did when I left the hospital.

Lost 20lbs in fluids in two weeks. Down to 30 pounds over original weight. Lost an additional 10 pounds on Nutri-system, but too expensive to continue.

At this point, I was +20 lbs over original weight and things were looking good. But then the emotional abuse escalated and escalated.

This aggravated the CFS/FM (which I did not know I had at the time); in pain 24/7, fatigued 24/7, no let up, rare good days. Gained back 30lbs, back to highest pregnancy weight. Hovered there for a long time.

Then the break-up/move. Put on an additional five pounds. Now +55 lbs over original weight.

Went on a Richard Simmons diet, revised slightly to be vegetarian. Lost 20lbs in about three months. Now +25 lbs over original weight. (I'd be wiling to try this diet again if I can locate where I stored the booklets and tracker :).)

CFS/FM really worsened -- hard, hard winter followed by a cold/rainy then hot/humid spring and summer -- regained the 20lbs.

Now at +55 lbs over original weight again. Winter eased up, spring came, and I decided to try the Longevity diet.

Problem: When I follow it right, I feel great. But I tend to neglect eating the produce I need. So if you are not eating enough produce, this becomes a standard, healthy calorie-counting diet. I'm working on it :)!

Lost a little over 15 lbs in three months. Now at about +40 lbs over original weight.

I'm hoping to get back to my original weight.

My "original" weight was actually +4lbs over my "usual" weight. I remember when I put on a few pounds, my "curse" regulated, and I was actually fertile -- which I never believed to be true before that.

So the higher of the two weights (original vs. usual) was actually healthier for me, plus is a more realistic goal than my lowest weight ever, LOL. (No worries, this was a size 6/8, nothing anorexic :).)
    [This Message was Edited on 04/30/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/30/2006]
  11. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Let me know how you do with the weight watchers diet.
    I know that once I start eating some more regular foods that weight loss will no longer be an issue with me. Especially at my age. Probly in a few years, I'll have a few extra lbs. I wish people would stop calling me anorexic and telling me to stop dieting. They don't realize that I'm not dieting to lose weight, but to regain health!
    Lots of luck to you!
    Mollystwin
  12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Elastigirl, I can certainly relate with trying different diets. It's a struggle. I think that all the different diets I tried contributed to my weight gain more than anything. At least that was my experience. I don't want to discourage you. It sounds like you have found a good one in the Longevity Diet. I think that the most important thing is to find a way to lose weight eating healthy foods that you will eat for the rest of your life.

It sounds like you have had some major stressors in your life, so I really applaud you for working hard to lose those excess pounds.

Mollystwin, I saw your profile pic and you look like you are in your 20's. Staying slim helps you look younger. Adding fruit will probably help you gain a little. I should probably eat less fruit. I eat about 3 servings a day.

The problem with losing a lot of weight when you are older (like me, 57) is that gravity has it's way and we can look a lot older.

Lolalee
  13. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I checked out your picture. You look too young to be in your 50's!!!
    Mollystwin
  14. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

You are much too kind. Thank you...it much be my Latina genes.

Bless you,

Lolalee
  15. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I started gaining weight as soon as I got sick, even though I was so sick I was hardly eating anything.

Some of the reasons that my doctors have told me about are dysfunctional thyroid/metabolism, lack of production of "growth hormone", other biochemical dysruptions, and, of course, medication side effects.

Another thing that many of us don't know we have is "Insulin Resistance". We eat carbs because they increase serotonin and make us feel "warm and fuzzy", but they also cause rebounds in energy levels, insulin spikes, and so on.

See Miryam Williamson's website:

www.mwilliamson.com

for how IR can be a part of the weight gain and other symptms of these illnesses. Following a high protien/low carb style of eating has really helped how I feel.

julie (is free!)

Take your cat and leave my sweater
    we have nothing left to weather
    In fact I'll feel a whole lot better
    But you'll think of me..

- Keith Urban
  16. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I have had a weight problem my whole life. I am 5'7" and the lowest my weigh got was 170. I started having babies and ended up with an extra 15-20 #'s that I couldn't lose after every pregnancy. Then I got sick. Between the drugs and the immobility, I blossomed to 300#. My Dr.s were very concerned and 2 of them told me if I didn't get the weight off I wouldn't be here in 5 years. That scared me because I have been on constant diets my whole life and the next thing for me was to give up eating all together.

My Dr. suggested a gastric bypass but I was not interested because of some of the people I have seen looked like death warmed over.

After a lot of discussing and praying my husband and I decided that was my only option. My insurance would not cover it and we had to mortgage the house. It will be 3 years in October since having the surgery. I've lost 115 pounds and continue to lose about a pound a month. It has its ups and downs and it's a lifetime commitment but there was no other way. I would like to say I'm healthier and I guess I am. I got off of having to wear oxygen continuosly and I cannot even imagine having to pack all that extra weight around with me. For me it was a life saver and a very good thing. My metabolism was so screwed up from a life time of dieting that there was no way I could have done it on my own and stopping the meds didn't help to lose the weight I gained while on them.

When people find out I had a gastric bypass they freak and think I'm weak for not being able to do it on my own, like I cheated. But I earned this scar 100 times over. LuAnn

Now, if the Dr. puts me on a drug and I gain weight I stop it right then and there.
  17. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

have never had to watch my weight ever until i got fms.
    Ive always been able to eat what i want no weight gain never until i got fms.
    Ive had it for 10 years now & its only been the past few months i gained weight due to some new meds.
    My doctor said its because 1 of the side effects is weight gain & because im very restricted in my movements i cant exercise.
    I asked my doc if i could come off them but he said im sorry but you cant you need them how unfair is that?
    Im really mad but theres nothing i can do.
    Hope this helps.
    Fibrolady37.
  18. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

have never had to watch my weight ever until i got fms.
    Ive always been able to eat what i want no weight gain never until i got fms.
    Ive had it for 10 years now & its only been the past few months i gained weight due to some new meds.
    My doctor said its because 1 of the side effects is weight gain & because im very restricted in my movements i cant exercise.
    I asked my doc if i could come off them but he said im sorry but you cant you need them how unfair is that?
    Im really mad but theres nothing i can do.
    Hope this helps.
    Fibrolady37.
  19. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

It really does help me to know that I am not the only one who has gained weight and can't get it off. It's not fair that we feel so awful and then we have to deal with being overweight, too. I realize that not everyone has this problem, but it sure is good to know that I'm not alone.

Thirkmom, I am sure that it was a difficult decision for you to have the surgery. If people don't understand, let them "walk a mile in your shoes".

fibrolady, I never had difficult losing excess weight before I got sick, either, so I can relate with you.

Lolalee

20. Aoibheil

Aoibheil New Member

I've gained around 50 lbs in the last year, 25 of it 2 months ago from a 3 week course of prednisone.

The only way I've been able to lose anything is to use the same diet a friend of mine's doctor put her on after gastric bypass surgery. It's slow going for me but if I stick to it, it works.