Weight gain with Cymbalta? Dosage? (Update)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IowaMorningGlory, Nov 26, 2006.

1. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I read through posts on Cymbalta but did not find anything if anyone had had any weight gain after taking for a period of time.

I am curious because I am on other meds and would like to try cymbalta, but already have a problem with weight gain.

Also, for ones that cymbalta works for what are some of the dosages you are taking?

Sorry if this post is redundant I may not have searched far enough.

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2006]
  2. IowaMorningGlory

3. hansvost

hansvost New Member

Hi
    I am taking Cymbalta now for about 3 months. I have gained a little weight but not sure if it's due to the medication. I have found with Cymbalta, it helps with depression but it also helps to ward off flare ups. I too have fibro and been diagnosed with Sjogrens syndrome. The Cymbalta helps with the serotonin and norepinephrine hormones. I feel it is very beneficial and believe I would find it hard to do with out. It does also ease up the pain in my neck and lower back also enhances energy for the fatigue syndrome. I don't have near the ache and pains I had before the Cymbalta. The worst side effect I have with this is sweating. I was reluctant at first in taking it, maybe denying I was depressed but now don't think I could be without it. It benefits out weigh the weight gain.
  4. IowaMorningGlory

I am so glad it is helping you. That you feel it is doing some good is half the battle.

I agree if there is a weight gain from the cymbalta, then so be it if it helps. Also I already have the temperature regulator screwed up so I seem to be sweating all the time anyway.

My most frequent pain is in my knees and today because it is raining here, they are screaming at me! Shoulder blade pain and back pain are running a close second.

What dosage do you take?

Thank you so very much,
    Blessed Be & Kitten Hugs,
    Laurie
  5. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

Laurie, I've been on Cymbalta since the beginning of the year. I don't think it causes weight gain. Other anti-depressants do: Elavil, Remeron (both of which I'm on). I just have to watch real carefully what I put in my mouth and get some sort of exercise every day. I'm taking 60 mgs. daily. And I love it.

Gentle hugs,
    Nancy
  6. ktpar

ktpar New Member

I have been on cymbalta for 9 mths. Have gained 30 lbs on this drug does work but once it wears off you are very hungry. Alot of late night snacks also. I take 60 mg.
  7. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

the traditional big unreal blue ones with the white and faint yellow center...)

I just posted on another post above about my success with Cymbalta, so you may want to read that too since I was up all night and am surrounded by the post school bus crowd (sounds like you have one too - and teenagers to boot! Ihave 8 yo triplets and a 6yo - enough for me).

Anyway - Itake 60 mg twice a day and really recommend it. I have gained 40-50 lbs since getting this DD in full blown form, so it is hard to say if anything was connected to the cymbalta, but most took place prior when I was on elavil and prednisone. I take so many drugs that cause weight gain and am very much home and often bed bound.

My doctor and I played with the dose until I felt the best. I am taking more than most people have said so far, and in addition to taking care of depression issues, it is different from the Effexor I took (for too long and its effects eventually wore off) in that it really improved my pain. I noticed immediate results (mild) but they really took off over the next months and by 3 months I felt a LOT better.

By summer (6 mos) I was doing the best I had in years, able to do water exercise. Unfortunately we lost our two young women who had helped us for over four years with the kids, laundry, grocery, etc at the end of the summer due to life circumstances.No replacements found yet, I am hobbling along and now at the worst I've been in years. I hate it when life and stress mess with my health so much!! (Too much info and rambling, sorry)

Anyway, hope this info re: Cymbalta is helpful, and do try and find the other post in case I left something out( it was just 2 or three above yours a minute ago). I really recommend it!

Kim
  8. IowaMorningGlory

Wow and I thought my teenagers wore me out! 8yr old triplets & a 6yr old...how do you do it. I know my saving grace is when they are in school. I love them dearly but I don't know what I would do without that quiet time.

I spoke with my GP today and he is going to start me on 60mgs of Cymbalta qd, for now. We will see how that works and go from there. I am very lucky with my GP, he knows I am a nurse and belong to a great support group and best of all, he listens. He is also going to make sure his documentation states I am taking the Cymbalta for tender point relief due to fibromyalgia and not for any depression. That I do not need cymbalta for depression. Come the day I have to apply for disability it will be nice to know his documentation was so thorough.

I will keep everyone posted as to how it works on 60mg qd and if ends up needing increased. I know it has a half-life of 12hrs so I would think 2x's every day would be better. Time will tell.

Thank you all and take care,
    Blessed Be & Kitten Hugs,
    Laurie