weight gain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by srleona, Dec 16, 2006.

1. srleona

srleona New Member

My daughter has been stricken with CFS. Age at onset 14. Now 16. She seems to be having problems with her weight stabilization. I see this mentioned every once in a while, but can't seem to find a specific study. Can someone direct us?
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Bumping for replies. I have no good answer (my brain is pooped), but hope a bump will generate some replies!
  3. jessica0123

jessica0123 New Member

Hello,
    I am 37 and with me not doing any exercising with FM or moving around much at all when I do move it is somewhat slower. I have gained 25 yes 25 pounds in the last 3 months my metabolism went on vacation. My Dr keeps telling me walk walk walk so I am encouraging any one possible to walk even 10 minutes a day makes a difference good luck Its tough to be sick as a teenager

jessica
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm not sure if there's a specific study on weight gain but I have read that 70% of people with CFS gain weight, some people lose it but more gain.

If you read the Canadian Guidelines on CFS/M.E. (rated with the Australian guidelines as the best) you will see that weightgain is a common symptom.

My daughter got CFS at 15 too after glandular fever but has been able to have a life and able to keep her weight down with a struggle whereas I have just had to accept it.

A lot of exercise is not adviseable with CFS but maybe a sugar free, low carbo diet will help her.

I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter, its horrid in someone so young.

love
    Rosie