Weight Gain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jenn1980, Apr 9, 2007.

1. jenn1980

jenn1980 New Member

Has anyone found a way to fight weight gain that occurs from CFIDS and FM? Since being diagnosed with FM over 5 years ago and CFIDS about 4 years ago, I have gained so much weight. I can't exercise a lot because of the CFIDS, and because I can't get out and do all I used to do, I turn to food for comfort. I have this mindset that says, "I am cursed with chronic pain and exhaustion, and can't get out and do much, so I should at least be able to eat whatever I want." I feel that food is one of the last pleasures I have in life.

It doesn't help that I have three skinny sisters who can eat all day, avoid exercise like the plague, and not gain a pound. And if they needed to exercise they could, because they're healthy! It's extremely unfair and I'm very bitter about it. I'm getting married in October and I'm going to be fat at my wedding.

I cannot afford weight loss surgery. I can't exercise much. So what the hell am I supposed to do? I am depressed as hell because of this problem. I was never thin, but I just want to be the nice, healthy size 10/12 I used to be...and I don't believe it will ever happen for me.

Does anyone have any advice? I am going to see my doc in 2 1/2 hours and I have a feeling that I'm going to break down in tears. I'm going to ask for phentermine, and hope that he'll give it to me...Wish me luck.
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Jenn,
    How I feel for you - and how I understand. The very same thing has happened to me. The only time I lost a little weight was when I had the stomach flu for a week, and then it was only a couple of pounds.

I try and try, and even eat on salad plates, I restrict carbs and don't eat sugar. I try not to eat after 5:00. I eat a small breakfast, a smaller lunch and a little snack for supper. Still, I'm round as round can be. I hope someone writs in with some help. Meanwhile, you have my sympathy and prayers.

Terry
  3. jenn1980

jenn1980 New Member

I am just so desperate at this point. I have gained so much weight. And I used to be so pretty. The exhaustion is killing me. I need to apply for disability but I cannot afford to quit work. Yet I should NOT be working full-time. I just can't afford to quit, but my work is suffering. I do not have the energy, mental clarity, or stamina to deal with full-time work, yet I am forced to do so. I am depressed because of the sheer exhaustion, the loss of my mental stamina - which I always prized so highly, and because of the weight gain. I don't know what to do any more. I just don't want to go on living this way - fat and exhausted and having lost my capability to think intelligently as I used to do. It's no way to live.

Good luck to you, as well!
  4. michellesnitcher

michellesnitcher New Member

HiJenny.I know exactly how you feel.The difference is that I have not changed my eating since being diagnosed 4 years ago.I think that all the meds has contributed towards my almost 20kg gain.I too used to be a size 10.I cannot be bothered anymore...just wish that the med would at least help me.I am in so much pain..not sure how my family tolerate me.In addition to the Fibro,I have Ankolosing Spondylitis.Wish we could all find the cure.My doc has started me on a tab called XENICAL...READ ABOUT IT.
  5. whoachief

whoachief New Member

to hear if anyone has any good suggestions to this question. Since my diagnosis in 1998 I have gained about 70 pounds.
  6. melissaz

melissaz New Member

Hi,
    I have been almost been either bedridden or cannot excercise for the past three years (CFIDS). I know that this may not be the answer for everyone, or even bring you back down to your original size, but you mentioned that from your feelings of this disease that you become frustrated enough to feel that you may as well eat whatever you want. This could be one of the contributing factors of why you may not feel as good as you can. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but our diet has a lot to do with our health. I hope that you are getting enough fruits and veggies, drinking plenty of water to help flush your system. We all have to give in to our cravings sometimes, but need to be more careful than "regular people". You did not mention any meds you were on, but I am willing to bet that a few have weight gain as a side effect.
    I hope you don't continue to be so hard on yourself, managing FM and CFIDS is really hard, and if you have had the drive to get up in the morning everyday and force yourself to go to work, you have accomplished a lot!
  7. jenn1980

jenn1980 New Member

Well, I don't really have the drive to get up and go to work. It is something that I do because my fiance and I have a LOT of bills. He cannot pay them all on his own, and so I have no choice but to work even though it is making me more ill every day. I am exhausted beyond words, but I fight because of him, even though I become more ill in the process. I honestly believe that one of these days I just won't be able to get out of bed because I'm overdoing it.

Anyhow, I got my PCP to prescribe phentermine for me today. He says it should help with the weight problems. G-d, I hope he's right! In the last five years, I've gained about 75 lbs. Forty lbs. of that has been in the past year or so! I look and feel absolutely disgusting, not to mention hopeless and helpless to do anything about it. I *really* hope this works...
  8. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

hiya jenn,
    I don't post here much anymore but this topic is such an important one, it affects our health and our self-esteem. I know so well the cycle of pain, fatigue and depression and the inability to exercise because of it. I've also gained a lot of weight since fibro hit nearly 5 years ago, and have only just started to drop a little bit of it this past couple of months.

Things to check:
    - your meds. Some commonly-prescribed meds for fibro have weight gain as a side effect. Anti-depressants, for one...I've tried several, finally found one that works with my system, but was given amitriptylene (Elavil) at one point and quickly gained almost 20 lbs. just from that experience. Also, flexeril, a muscle relaxant, can cause weight gain. Read all about each of the meds you take, and try keeping a log or journal whenever you start or change medications.

- Yeast. Candida can cause bloating/weight gain; there are some good posts here on the board you can search for, or do a web search. Yeast overgrowth can be treated and that might help you somewhat.

- water. Are you retaining fluid? Puffy? Check with your doctor and see if you're carrying water-weight.

- intake of sugar and carbs. I've cut out sugar, except for what's in fruit and veggies naturally, and it's made a BIG difference. Also cut back on "white" foods like bread, rice, potatos etc. I can't stick to Atkins cause I LOVE my carbs, but I'm finding I have been able to cut back quite a bit without feeling too deprived. I still let myself have a treat every week (ie. I had a small "fries and gravy" on the weekend and that satisfied my craving...and I'll have something else like that next weekend to look forward to)

- hormones. I'm older, in my mid-forties, but something else that has really made a difference with weight AND pain is the new IUD I've got, that releases tiny amounts of hormones. It's a flipping miracle for me!!! and wish I'd known about it sooner.

The only other thing I've changed is making myself take a short walk every day, even if it's just around the block. I don't venture too far from home or car, in case of pain flare-up, but I do get out there even on days I don't feel so good. (But not today, I'm in a BIG flareup and it hurts to move!!!). When I can, I do. Little steps are making a difference for me.

I've got a long way to go, but I think I'm going to get myself one nice spring outfit. It will be my first time shopping at the plus-size store, but I'm convinced that if I get something that fits properly, I'll look and feel better (even tho I can't afford it).

Don't forget that beauty is on the INSIDE!!! and that you're not alone...wishing you happier days, nature

9. CFS101

CFS101 New Member

I've gained about 50 pounds since contracting CFS. Some of the weight gain was due to inactivity and some to medication. I was able to take off a modest amount of weight with out exercise by joining Weight Watchers (about 15 pounds+). I do admit, however, the weight loss took well over a year and it took all the discipline I could muster. I've reached a plateau and I'm trying to be thankful I'm not gaining at least! If you are not a fan of Weight Watchers, I suggest consulting a registered dietitian who can customize a diet for you given your current level of activity. I regularly use diabetic recipes. They give me good ideas regarding food choices. I'm in the same boat with exercise - suffering greatly from post-exhertional malaise as they call it. I have found that even the most feeble attempts at a walk around the block do much good.
  10. jenn1980

jenn1980 New Member

...for the responses, Ladies. I'll be sure to post about how the phentermine works. For some reason I have a strange resistance even to the strongest of medications, so I don't even know if this will do anything for me. I got a psychiatrist to prescribe Ritalin for me at one point about 4 years ago. I was hoping it would help with fatigue and mental alertness, but it did NOTHING. It was literally like taking placebo. Wish me luck on the phentermine. After years of getting sicker and sicker, to the point that I should be on bed rest but am not b/c of financial reasons, I am desperate for anything to work. I gained weight yet again since the last time I saw the doc. I don't expect to be thin as I never have been, but I want to be "healthy" again...As I mentioned, I just want to go back to my nice size 10/12! I don't think that's too much to ask.

I have three sisters. Two of them can eat and eat and eat junk food, eschew exercise, and guess what?! They were about size 1-3. Yup, dead serious. Oh, and they're perfectly healthy of course. One of them is almost 32 years old and has had THREE CHILDREN, and she can STILL eat junk and not exercise, and stay thin as a rail! She can't GAIN weight! It is so BITTERLY unfair. The third one is not as thin as the others and she has to work to some extent, but she wears a lovely size 6 and working out is easy for her b/c she's healthy. Then there's fat, sickly me. I'm very angry and I just can't get over the bitterness because it's so unfair...

OK, I have to go to bed. I have to be to work at 7am...G-d help me.

Sorry to be so negative but chronic illness and now being fat have made me even more cynical than ever. I actually cried on the phone to my mom tonight. Poor thing doesn't know what to say. I've got to stop that b/c I just upset her, and she can't help...

Anyway, goodnight, and best wishes to all of you. It's nice to know that I'm not alone, and that there ARE people who understand. I'm going to look into seeing one or two of the PHX-area rheumies who specialize in CFIDS/FM. Thanks to those who mentioned these docs. I wish you all health and happiness!!