weight loosers vs weight gainers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sb439, Sep 29, 2002.

1. sb439

sb439 New Member

Here's a question I have: from all I've learned about CFIDS from various channels, it seems that most of us (at least those who are fairly ill) fall into one of the following two groups: weight gainers, i.e. people who have in the course of the disease noticeably gained weight, and weight loosers, i.e. people who in the course of the disease become noticeably 'underweight'. I wonder if the weight gainers generally have different symptoms than the weight loosers, and respond to different medication, or whether that's just random? Has anyone knowledge on this point?
    (I got rather underweight with developing CFIDS and just can't put on weight, however much I eat. "extra symptoms", apart from the standard ones I have are mercury toxicity and, ahem, parasites.)
    Susanne
  2. sb439

sb439 New Member

Here's a question I have: from all I've learned about CFIDS from various channels, it seems that most of us (at least those who are fairly ill) fall into one of the following two groups: weight gainers, i.e. people who have in the course of the disease noticeably gained weight, and weight loosers, i.e. people who in the course of the disease become noticeably 'underweight'. I wonder if the weight gainers generally have different symptoms than the weight loosers, and respond to different medication, or whether that's just random? Has anyone knowledge on this point?
    (I got rather underweight with developing CFIDS and just can't put on weight, however much I eat. "extra symptoms", apart from the standard ones I have are mercury toxicity and, ahem, parasites.)
    Susanne
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have a theory on this after 17 yrs. of FMS and running a support group for 10 of those yrs. I have noticed that the illness tends to exaggerate the tendencies the person had already. Skinny people get skinnier, and chubbies get fat. Normals may end up chubby.Of course, there are some exceptions. I was normal before FMS, but only because I had tons of exercise built into my day to keep it that way. I also believe the meds, esp. antidepressants are partially responsible. Secondary depression can play a role, with mild depression often causing overeating, while severe depression can cause anorexia.
    Klutzo
  4. sb439

sb439 New Member

Thanks, klutzo, the idea that tendencies are increased with FMS/CFS fits with me and the people I know, also of course medication side-effects, so maybe that's all there is to it. (My doctor once said - jokingly - that he preferred his CFS patients on the overweight side, the reason being that when you get very thin, all the toxins seem to walk right up into your brain and thus cause more cerebral dysfunction than they would otherwise.)
    Susanne
  5. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

Hi, Well I was on the Depo provera shot for birth control which contributed to alot of my pain and health problems. The depo does make you gain weight, I went from around 150 to 210 over the course of about 3 years. I can say most of it was the depo shot, but I am sure the FM and other things contributed. Plus too, hurting and not being able to exercise at times and falling back on food for emotional support did not help. I am starting to lose a bit, but it is easier to put on that take off!
  6. motg

motg New Member

I was thin befor I got cfs. I weighed 140 pounds and 5 foot 3 for hight. now after living with CFS and FM for 14 years I am now over weight and can not seem to lose it. I now am 250 pounds.
    Barb
  7. allhart

allhart New Member

i mean weight wise when ever im in a flare and my pain gets realy bad i loose weight its scarey ive been down to 92 and im 5'5 i cant gain it back until i get the pain under control,
  8. tgirl

tgirl New Member

When I first got ill with CFS 13 years ago, I was very slender (and eating like a horse). No sooner did I get sick than I started to gain weight, and it has increased every since. I don't take any medication (everything makes me more ill). My exhaustion doesn't allow me to exercise, I have to be very careful not to have a relapse.

Weight gain seems to go in cycles. I'll have a few months of no weight gain, then I'll pack on a few kilograms. My mother's fibro/CFS support group participants seem to put on the weight at exactly the same time I do, it's majorly weird.

Tgirl
  9. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Oh my gosh!!!!!!

I'm 5'5" too! The most thin I've been is 100 and looked awful. I can't imagine 92 lbs.! I hope THAT doesn't happen again!You have kid's I read - one of them might 'break' you by mistake! Good luck, stay healthy!