Weight loss & Fibromyalgia...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lanie, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Hello All!
    I am writing to sort of update you all on how I have been. As you may or may not know, I had gastric bypass surgery on March 24th. I have since lost 74lbs. I am doing very well with the weight loss. I don't feel better in the pain area so much, but my energy level has about doubled what it was before and my fatigue is so much less. I can do more and feel great pride and happiness when I accomplish a task. Yeah, I hurt after, but it is worth it. Just the energy boost is such a great reward. I am hoping as I reach goal in about 80lbs or so, that the pain will decrease a bit as well.

I no longer am addicted to carbs and no longer crave any 'bad' foods. I eat so healthy lots of fruit and veggies and lean protein. I drink lots of water and get exercise in the form of the gym, weight training and water aerobics, which I just love. It is hard to squeeze it into my busy schedule, but I do because it is so beneficial.

I am not telling anyone, go have surgery...although it was the best choice I could make, but it does help to get some of the excess weight off.

Best wishes,
    Lanie
  2. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Glad that this is working so well for you. Maybe it won't get rid of all the Pain, but it will reduce the Stress on the Joint's and that will Help later down the road.

One of my Sister's and one of my Brother's, should have done this long ago. Now they are Not good subjects for this type of Surgery. My poor sister, has no cartledge in her knee's, and it's Painful to even Watch her walk, I can't fathom the type of Pain she's in.
    She is finally getting an Electric Wheelchair, so that, hoefully will relieve some of the Stress.

Keep up the Good work, it's so nice to read a Post about someone, making Progress in their Health.
    You are one Tough Cookie for sure, ;)

Sincerely,
    sharon
  3. Lana56

Lana56 New Member

Lanie,
    So glad you feel so much better and the weight loss is wonderful.My sister is going in for bypass surgery in Oct.Any suggestions for her??Take care and keep up the good work.My email is in my profile if you want to email me more on the surgery and all. Thankyou Lana56
  4. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Sharon, Sorry to hear your sister is doing so badly. I am grateful that I came to the decision I did, if only for the fact that I won't end up in a wheelchair. I hope something will give and let your sister have some hope.

Lana, My best advice is to tell her to go to ObesityHelp website and read! Don't buy too many protein items before surgery as your tastes change. There are a couple of sites that sell protein drink samples one is Vitalady. That would be her best bet. Try to get a diverstiy of broth otherwise you will go out of your mind! I never wanted to smell/see/taste broth again. lol All in all, it was the best thing for me and I did have a couple of complications, one being an infection in my incision as soon as I got home and constant high temps in the hospital. It was all worth it and I would do it all again.

If you have any specific questions, I would be more than happy to answer them. She should find more than she needs to know at ObesityHelp, plus tons of profiles & before and after pics.
    Best wishes,
    Lanie
  5. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Hope you got to read this. If you have any questions, let me know.
    Best wishes,
    Lanie
  6. painfulfranie

painfulfranie New Member

Hello Lana

Just one guestion was you very scared, because I have heard of people dying wiht type of surgery. I have tried so many thing to lose weight. My heart Dr. suggested that I do this and I am scared. What would you tell someone who is thinking of have this done? I have to lose about 130 pounds.
    Thanks
    painfulfranie

7. Kim

Kim New Member

I feel more pain with just gaining 15 pounds since I started Remeron (six months). I know your weight loss will eventually help with the pain. Best wishes, kim
  8. Lanie

Lanie New Member

The rate of people who don't make it is usually people who have many, many lbs to lose and are upwards of 500+++lbs. They have many comorbidities and many issues. You have to research it. I went to ObesityHelp website and researched and read EVERYTHING. I researched for 1 year before having the surgery.

It is scary, but so is any elective surgery. You have to be strong and realize this is what you need to have a better quality of life. My best advice is READ everything.

I would say go for it! It is the best decision I could have ever made. I did have a couple incidents, an infection and some eating issues, but it was definitely well worth. I feel better every lb that drops, I feel hope for the future, I enjoy my children, my husband, shopping, walking, working out...I could go on and on. I really hope the pain issues lessen with time. I CLEANED my entire 2nd floor Saturday!!! I did it! I can't believe I stayed up there till it was finished. I would not have been able to do that before this weight loss.

Thank you Kim, for the encouragement. Any lbs down has got to help.
    Any more questions, I would be happy to answer.
    Best to you!
    Lanie