Weight loss surgery and Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by belindakbee, Mar 10, 2003.

1. belindakbee

belindakbee New Member

I am about 100 lbs overweight and have had FMS for years. I am getting worse all the time and the pain is getting so bad I find it very hard to go to work each day. I am considering gastral bypass surgery in hopes of releaving some of my pain. My rhumey seems to think this is the only thing that might help. Has anyone heard if loosing alot of weight can help with the pain.
  2. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

My mom is obese, has been for as long as I can remember. She had the surgery to which you refer (she called it stomach stapling). She had so many bad effects from that surgery!! It was the worst thing she could have done. I'm sure it works for some people, so I hope you get more responses. If mom ate too much, she would vomit, which caused a tremendous amount of medical problems. 10 years later, she weighs the same...
  3. kimmer

kimmer New Member

Hello, I am really concidering having it done. i haven't had the nerve to ask my doctor about it yet. But, to me...i think loseing the weight would have to make us feel so much better. I am about 100 pounds overweight. two of my good friends have had it done with great success. One of the girls weighted about 40 more pounds than me. She looks wonderful! Good luck to you on whatever you decide. Kim
  4. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

I am over weight as well and also have considered having the surgery but it wouldnt be covered by insureance. I know of a few ladies who had the surgery and have had a chance of talking to them about it. One thing I know that was a problem for all of them is learning to tell your mind that you cant have the food. I know sometimes I eat when I am not even hungry and sometimes I see a piece of cake and it just seems to be calling my name. Well after the surgery if you have that piece of cake then your going to me vomiting it back up because you stomach cant handle it anymore. Eventually you get past that though and you learn the hard way lol. Another thing to consider is for the rest of your life your going to have to take supplements because your body isnt going to be getting the nutrition it needs from food anymore. I had another friend who even though she was taking supplements she lost her teeth and she started losing hair as well. Whats the point of being skinny if your bald and toothless ( and I know its not all about vanity but that is a major factor). Well thats the bad the good is that you will lose weight, and if your lucky you may feel better but thats not set in stone. There is a new procedure that is in my opinion better than the gastric by-pass, its called a lap-band. It can be done by laproscopic surgery so the healing time is alot less. Also instead of cutting your stomach they put a band around the top part creating a pocket for your food. Its alot safer because they dont have to by pass your stomach to your intestine and it can be removed it there are problems where with the bypass i think is forever. Another thing that is better about it is when your stomach starts to strech again there is a portal that they can inject fluid into that will tighten the band again. I would look it up on the internet and see if that might be better for you. I know that if i had the choice i would do lap band instead of the bypass because its less risky and less cutting. I hope this helps
    best wishes
    hugs,
    Jeanna
  5. belindakbee

belindakbee New Member

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have already been approved for the surgery and have a date of 4/22/03. I have been researching this for about 7 months. There is a great site on the internet called obesityhelp. I has a great deal of information with message boards, chat rooms and such. I just found this fibro site a few weeks ago and was so happy. It helps to chat with people who really understand what we have to go thru on a day to day basis. Even though I have had this for years no one, even my husband, really understands the pain I deal with. So you guys will be hearing from me in the future.