Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vino1112, Jan 25, 2003.

1. vino1112

vino1112 New Member

Hi outthere!

I have had fibromyalgia for about 5 years. At one time I weighed 215 pounds, lost 70 pounds and kept it off for over 10 years. Now my weight management tool, exercise, has been drastically cut back. I have gained 40 pounds in the last 2 years!

I am desperate. I have been trying to exercise, but I get extreme fatigue that last for many days with one gentle Pilates session or 30 minutes of walking.

What are others doing?

2. Kittykat

Kittykat New Member

I know the feeling of gaining weight and it is not a good feeling. I have been trying eveything possible. My doctors just encourages me to push myself and keep walking, yoga, and exercise as much as I can.
    I hope that helps some. Hugs and smile

kat
  3. vino1112

vino1112 New Member

Do you get intense fatigue afterwards that lasts? I can't function for days and it often prevents me from going to school or doing anything. (I'm getting my Master's degree.) I have been to my internist and all my tests are good. I understand doctor's say to push, but the fatigue gets worse with any exercise once it starts. I am going back to my rheumatologist next month, but just feel so desperate now because of the havoc it is playing with my life.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Cannot depend on doing a lot of exercise to keep our weight in control. We use a high-protein, low-carb diet which is better for us anyway. Atkins, Suzanne Somers, or some other low-carb diet will work. Other benefits include lowering our blood pressure and improved lipids.

Love, Mikie
  5. vino1112

vino1112 New Member

That's interesting because in the past I have noticed that I usually felt better on a high protien diet. Now I crave high carbohydrate foods. But it is worth a try. It is hard to accept such a low level of activity though.
  6. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

For years I did not take of myself, mostly becuase of untreated depression. I have gained alot of weight too, and am ready to lose, manage it. I would also like to lose weight, and am looking into diets and exercise.

Water areobices, light exercise at first is what I have read and been adivised.

Then yeah the Sommers diet, zone etc. Supposed to work well for FM People.

7. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

till a few years ago, I lost some and kept it off. Lately I've lost more because I'm doing the anti candida thing or trying to. I avoid processed foods, dairy, meat(though I eat some occassionally). I eat a lot of vegetables and red potatos. I eat organic brown rice, not sure if it's on the diet. Anyways, eating this way I dont seem to crave the bad stuff so much. If I eat much processed foods or sweets it's like I crave them uncontrollably. If I go to a party that has chips and chocolates and eat some, its like a monster that is let loose and I can't get enough..
    I thought maybe others had noticed this too about eating the american way...
  8. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

...High-Protein, Low-Carb, anti-Candida Diet. I stay away from sugars,potatoes(which will spike your glucose after you eat them!),white rice, bread and grains with gluten,no yeast,fruit,chocolate,dairy & cheese,sodas, alcohol. I DO EAT: Lots of Fresh and lightly steamed Veggies,lots brown rice, millet,quinoa,adkuzi beans,lentils,split peas;I make soup, I sweeten with Stevia(extract is not so bitter),I drink distilled water and herb teas,also make Whey Protein drinks with rice milk. Also take lots of suppliments, Vite's & Min's, & Enzymes & Probiotics. Yes, I crave sweets or chocolate sometimes, but I am new to this, so I just cram my mouth with more rice, and I'm usually FULL most of the day, anyway! For my FM exercise, I can only stretch and do little leg lifts or a few sit ups. I like to lift light weights, too. But I love Stretching- I have a book. I used to walk- but I can't anymore. I hope this helps.
    Fibromiester
  9. vino1112

vino1112 New Member

Thanks for all of the input and moral support. I have felt so discouraged, but you have helped me to see there might be a way to my goals.
  10. TLHLASSIE

TLHLASSIE New Member

I also had fatigue problems with exercise until I began a
    T-3 regimine. My doctore/ARNP did a saliva test to determine the thryoids ability to convert T-4 to T-3 and noted that it wasn't doing that well. Since using the T-3 there is a major difference. Even the end of a 40 hour week doesn't wear me out like it used to. I sometimes run out and don't rush to replace it and find that I really need it. I have a coworker who also has FMS & she did the same thing and swears by thyroid supplements. Good Luck.
    Denise
  11. vino1112

vino1112 New Member

Are you saying that just the TSH test is not sufficient? My TSH is well within normal. Did you have to go to an endocronlogist? Thanks for the input.