Weightlifting, continued

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LadyDragon, Sep 28, 2002.

1. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

Hello again, all...

I can't tell you how much better I feel.. Have continued with the weightlifting for 3 weeks now. Am increasing the weight I lift, and going 3 times a week now instead of 2. Most of the pain is gone. I am amazed at the difference it has made. If anyone out there can make themselves try it, please do. I did manage to get my sleep under control (for the first time in 10 years) before attempting the lifting, and my body thanks me for it. Exercise is the most helpful thing for fibro, after sleep, and it is working for me.

Wishing all a pain free life.
    Lady Dragon
  2. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

Hello again, all...

I can't tell you how much better I feel.. Have continued with the weightlifting for 3 weeks now. Am increasing the weight I lift, and going 3 times a week now instead of 2. Most of the pain is gone. I am amazed at the difference it has made. If anyone out there can make themselves try it, please do. I did manage to get my sleep under control (for the first time in 10 years) before attempting the lifting, and my body thanks me for it. Exercise is the most helpful thing for fibro, after sleep, and it is working for me.

Wishing all a pain free life.
    Lady Dragon
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

but, we all know what works for one may not for another. It is so nice to hear that you are almost pain free. Hope you make it all the way. How much weight are you useing and reps? I am at PT now and for some reason unknown I am getting weaker and this is disconserning. I do lift our almost 4 year old son a lot daily. I use to use him as my weights when he was a baby.

Thanks for the great news and weight exersize helps fight Osteoporiasis (sp) to.

Kim
  4. Tucker

Tucker New Member

Lady Dragon

It was good to read a positive message about exercise. I have just joined a gym and am currently building up CV exercise. hope to grauate to weights after acheiving CV goals. I have also persuaded my unfit hubbie to come along, his programme is not much more tham mine so we can progress together. Helps to relax in a hot jacuzzi after. I also yoga weekly, not pain free yet but hoping!

keep going

Val
  5. epicurean

epicurean New Member

I have been going to gym for years-do miss some times if I'm in a real bad flare/or other problems when I actually couuldn't go.Am now back for about the last 4 months and I love it.Sleep better,and actualy have more energy when I go.Am started back at low weights,but doing more reps.,as opposed to worrying about adding too much weight too fast.
    Keep up the good work!!!
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Weight-training is wonderful and helps you keep your bones as you get older, not to mention allowing you to burn more calories even when you are just sitting around!
    A caution though, if you are one of the 75% of FMSers with an MVP. Lifting weights makes your blood pressure rise quite a bit, which causes the valve to prolapse more and leak more,which causes palpitations, dizziness, nausea, etc. and potentially even atrial fibrillation if you keep it up once these symptoms appear.
    This doesn't mean you can't do any strength training, just modify it. For example, once my MVP started to leak, I had to switch from doing a few reps with free weights to doing more reps with Therabands. More reps with lighter weights is better for your MVP.I also am more careful to exhale on the lifting part of the exercise and inhale on the let down part. This helps reduce the rise in BP. I also try not to exercise too close to when I am due for my BP medication, since it is wearing off then. Gee Mel, I wish wt. training had helped me get rid of my BP med....kudos to you for achieving that!
    KLutzo