Weightlifting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunshineslynn, Nov 9, 2006.

1. sunshineslynn

sunshineslynn New Member

Okay I am new to the board and hoping that someone can help.

I have been into hard core weightlifting for the last 5years. I have done some bodybuilding competitions but I can no longer do them which really upsets me since I love it so much. For all these years I wondered why I hurt so much and its gotten so bad I can not get to the gym at the moment. I do plan on getting back as soon as this bad flare is under control. I was reading that people with FMS should not do eccentric weightlifting, only concentric. Why is that? I would think that when eccentric elongates the muscle that it would be just as good as stretching?

Also to those who love the gym how do you get past being depressed not being able to go? What do you do instead to keep your mind off of going? Even when I am in my worst pain I have gone and then regret it because for 3day or more are hell. I just hate not going because all the work I have done to improve my body. Should I just push through all the pain and go anyway and learn to deal with hell of days afterwards? I am at a lost of what to do. I love lifting it makes me feel soooo good while doing it but I pay so badly afterwards during the flare ups.

Now that I have rambled on so much I will close. Thanks for listening.
    Sheri
  2. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

I'm not a weight lifter, but I saw your post and it made me think of my more physical days. I really miss the feeling of being fit.

I can't presume to know about your craft, but it just seems to me that perhaps you could lower your weights or limit your routine somewhat until you are over your flare. Then maybe you could build back up to your current level without going for a wreck in the meantime.

That seems simplistic, but I thought I would throw my thoughts out there. I'd hate for you to have to give it up totally, especially since you love it so.

Yours, Lil
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I was never into heavy weightlifting, but I used to do aerobics and workouts with lighter weights. I was once in pretty good shape for an older gal. I really miss feeling physically fit.

I know that I may never be able to do aerobics again, but recently have discovered that I can do small amounts of working out with weights. I never do more than 10 minutes at a time and do mostly upper body with only a little bit of leg work. If I do too much leg work, it hurts! I also do 5 to 10 minutes of pilates at at time. This I can handle. I may never be able to do more than this and I have accepted this. (almost, I still have my moments!)

It's hard at first. Maybe you will get better and you can return to your body building. It's been known to happen! But maybe you can at least figure out a reduced schedule that you can live with.

Good luck and good health to you!
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

didn't compete but could've. i would be doing it right now but i am scheduled for tennis elbow surgery 12/27.

now i would just do what you can/ stop and think about it, you are in pain if you are not lifting and you are in pain if you are lifting.

so know matter what you do it doesn't really matter. atleast condition your heart and keep your muscle tone the best you can.

lot's of protein and vitamins. low weights and high reps keeps you lean.

plus gets the endorphins up. the minds natural morphine for the pain.

jodie
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

OUCH!!! I worked out w/ a personal trainer for 3 months. I "thought" I would try to go to the gym and workout. I had no idea that it was gonna be so hard. I would get sooo sore and could not hardly move for about 2 days after wards. So, I finally decided to give up the weight lifting and go at my own pace w/ moderate exercise every once and a while. Weight lifting is a complete no no for me. Sounds like you are pretty fit and love it. Hope you are able to keep on lifting!!!

kriket
  6. Callum

Callum New Member

I have CFS, not FM, so it might be a very different situation. I have found that the only way I tolerate lifting weights is by really breaking up the muscle groups. Like today, I only worked out on my chest and triceps. If I worked out on my chest and back on the same day, I would cause a flare. As for my legs - I can't do them at all. I'm assuming because they are such a big muscle group. I feel fine doing it, but I experience a flare in the days following.

The best of luck finding something that you can handle that can help alleviate the emptiness you feel from not being able to work out as you used to.

Callum
  7. sunshineslynn

sunshineslynn New Member

So when I can get back I will reduce my load. It will be different for me to use light weights but if I dont want the 2+days down afterwards I will have to do it. On a side note today is even worse than any day I have had. I am waiting for my dr to call me back. It just seems everyday I am getting worse no matter what I do. I feel like someone has broken me at every joint I have and my muscles are hurting so bad I have been crying over it. I hate this! I am one of those people that dont stop for anything and now I must learn how to take it one day at a time. I am glad I found this board. I have already learned alot.

Thanks
    Sheri
  8. talper

talper New Member

my pains started after weightlifting!!!!
    it happened 10 months ago, a few months after i started.
    tried to keep going thinking its just a injury because i overload it...
    in those 10 months, i went back to the gym, and started doing the more extreem exercises like deadlift/squat/bent over rows.....
    as stupid as i was, i stoped 2 months ago, and lost all i gain -again-.
    i didnt have much pains when working out, only a little in curls in my wrist, and some when i went to the gym.
    not when squating/deadlifting!!
    im still trying to figure my pains, and just cant wait start lifting for more then 3 months.....

damn thats annoying.

*is it possible i saw you in the health boards, and the admin deleted your massage because you posted email?
    if so, remember about the vitamin d?
    why did you tell me it probably my problem?
  9. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Have you ever had a test for lyme disease? This can cause the pain you describe. I advise getting an ingenix lyme test to rule this out.
  10. sunshineslynn

sunshineslynn New Member

Tapler- Nope that was not me. Sorry I have never started trouble or been deleted from any forum.

Yes, I miss the squat days. I built quite a mass on my legs and I am getting very depressed watching them shrink.

Molly-
    I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia/Myofascial pain about 2 months ago. Its not Lyme I had a spinal tap done plus on top of every other test. At first they thought I had MS but thankfully I dont. I wish it was something like Lyme so I could be better and back to my old self.

Sheri