Weird Feeling in Head, CFS not Sinus

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jan 6, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have posted many times on these darn weird feelings in my head which are hard to describe.
    Like the inside of my head has a lot of pressure, feeling off balance and sorta like a vertigo attack is coming. Also my blood pressure rises and so does my anxiety.

For years the doc keeps saying sinuses but I am beginning to wonder. Yes, I do have sinus issues but seems this is different so I am thinking is this another mistery of CFS.

Also I have ordered from Igenex Labs the kit to be tested for Lyme and different bacteria since I was told that medicare would pay for it. Now to get a doctor to work with me..

2. MsE

MsE New Member

the rise in blood pressure, due to anxiety, is causing the pressure. It can do it and it can cause the dizziness. The anxiety is a common side effect of CFS. At leat, that's what I've heard and it is certainly true for me. It makes my blood pressure rise, and then I feel an icky pressure and sense of unbalance, too. That's when I have to (an I emphasize "have to") take an extra lorazepam to settle it down.

The funny thing is that I never feel anxious at the time it happens. It is strictly a neurological glip that my body translates as "anxiety." Fouled-up neuron firing system. At least, that's what I think is going on. Bringing down my blood pressure spike calms the rest of the symptoms. Hugs to you, GG. MsE
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I remember you writing about this but I didn't think it could be anxiety as I didn't feel anxious at the time. Yes, the extra xanax helped , well I be darn. Thank you . My blood pressure was fine this morning and I am feeling somewhat better. It is somewhat like a panic /anxiety attack without the panic. Oh, so complicated.

Its so hard to accept all these weird symptoms without thinking the worse.

4. Trudysmom

Trudysmom New Member

Nice to hear the blood pressure did this to someone else also. 7 months ago, my bp went up and stayed up... no one knows why. I was very ill, in bed. Doctors never figured the bp problem would make me sick. They ALL said it cannot. I have talked to others that also got ill. I have had CFS since 1993. I know they are connected. My bp med is helping finally, but I have a long way to go. Anxiety has never been a problem, but the bp is now.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2010]
  5. MsE

MsE New Member

I don't think it really IS anxiety when this happens. I think the brain is confused, or haywire in some way, and sends out the same impulses as though it were anxiety. Yes. You are right on. It is "somewhat like a panic/anxiety attack without the panic." I have had this happen fairly often over the years, and it is very disconcerting and, sometimes, downright scary.

My doc said that when it happens take the lorazepam, lie very quietly for a time, and if it didn't go away to go to the ER. It has always gone away. Oh--he also said I should take the other half of my daily dose of hydrochlorothiazide--for blood pressure--when it occurs.

I'm so glad the extra Xanax helped. God bless you, my friend! MsE

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Funny you should mention....I have INCREDIBLY bad headaches. I even take Topamax which is supposed to ward off headaches on a daily basis. I take it for Fibro though.

Anyway, I accidentally found out that the only thing that helps my headaches at all is if I take a half of a Klonopin. (similar to Xanax) When I told my Dr., he said "makes sense" It relaxes all of your blood vessels etc.
  7. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

GG- I've had the exact feelings in my head as you describe them going back to 1993. Although they've gotten less bothersome & frequent over the years, they still come & go from time to time.

My thought re this after all these years, is that the heavy metals, esp mercury in my body & esp in the brain , caused some type of misfire in the brain itself. The metals I believe are from the many dental amalgams & metal crowns that I had in my mouth over several years. i've since safely removed those dental amalgams/metals & been on a long time chelation process, vitamin regimen, diet changes & thyroid med support.

Also, the use of Klonopin to help with my sleep has been very useful over the years. Dr Paul Cheney wrote some very informative articles re the use of Klonopin & it impact on brain problems in CFS some years back that would be worth reviewing too.

Its a very slow process to heal these brain problems & I'm not so sure that they can ever be fixed 100% when there's been damage to the brain over many years from toxins like mercury. All you can do is try to rid yourself of as many toxins/ metals as possible & then gently assist your body in the healing process.

8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Maybe this explains why the xanax helps me so much. I was thinking of trying to stop or cutting back but may need an increase.

Gosh everything is weird with this darn cfs..etc.

God Bless,
  9. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

The horrible pressure cooker head issue is due to a chemical imbalance, it occurs in some people with CFS/ME but not in others. The individual has no control over what happens to them, it's not anxiety related nor stress related nor does it impact on blood pressure. An individuals head feels like a pressure is building inside, it affects balance, mood becomes unstable, cognitive functioning is impacted and appears to slow significantly, inability to walk without staggering, general weakness throughout the body, tiredness, bodily functions can go awol, Only when the pressure in the head subsides do the others issues also subside.

Regular good night sleep helps reduce the occurrence of such events. Consuming plenty of antioxidants from fruit and veg are also known to help reduce such events. Various medications can actually make matters worse so caution is required and examination of ones medication is required to ascertain if any are negatively influencing the pressure head issue.
  10. Trudysmom

Trudysmom New Member

I get many of these symtoms when my BP goes up. I have to lie down...then I feel better. I wish the bp could stay down. Still working with doctors.
  11. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Wow, that is the best description I've every heard for this awful head feeling that I've had for years. The meds have helped me for quite a while but seem to be wearing off - I had an anxiety attack in bed last night!

Sue in Ontario
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

What type of chemical imbalance? For me this horrible head feeling is my worst as I don't know how or what to do when I have it. The balance, the mood, vision etc. is terrible.