weird feeling in spine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sixtyslady, May 2, 2006.

1. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

does anyone else have a feeling that there spine has electrical pluses and then radiates to the rest of your limbs. it starts down around my tailbone and moves up my spine to my head, but also goes down into my legs.I know that doesn"t make a whole lot of sense but thats the feeling I get, and its driving me crazy.
    I was feeling better for a few days and was so hopeful that this flare was letting up now I feel like crap again.
    I can"t rest because this makes me feel so nervous that I could fly.its like a tooth ache that you want to hurt back. could this be like built up congestion in my trigger points, thats what my chriopractor use to tell me. wish she was still here. never been able to find another like her. any thoughts guys? hugs sixtyslady. I finally figure out how to put pic of my horse on my profile.
  2. lease79

lease79 New Member

I don't get it that low in my spine, but I do get weird electric shock sensations further up, in my neck & shoulders, & even arms.
    Not sure what causes it...

Lisa
  3. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

This has been a problem for me for a very long time. Using creams such as myoflex and a heating pad helps calm this down for me. I have someone rub the cream directly into the spine area and then lay down with a heating pad. Within a half hour I can usually stop this feeling.
  4. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

You might want to try some of the calming and inhibiting neurotrasmitters like GABA and Glycine. These two will balance Glutamate and Aspartate which are major nerve excitors in the brain and spine, and when you get too much of them you can go into seizure's. You could also look at L-Theanine which will raise you dopamine levels and make you feel calm but alert.

Good luck. Hope your feeling better.
  5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I have had a lot of numbness; feels like it's right in the middle of my back and it will last for a few minutes. That scares me. Also, I had an isolated seizure once and didn't know who anyone was for 2 days. That was REALLY scary when I finally came out of it. Was overmedicated by Drs. Taken off ALL meds and came out of it.

I'm not sure what the problem is but PLEASE don't wait around too long....call your Dr. and let him/her know what is happening or go get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Take Care!

BlueSky555
  6. Steviegal

Steviegal Member

Obviously we can't diagnose exactly what's wrong, HOWEVER, I will tell you that this was one of the first symptoms that came on when my HPA (Hypothalamus, Pituitary, Adrenal Axis) started to malfunction. It was a pulsating sensation of electricity that felt like it started at the base of the spine, then soared into my head and limbs creating an anxiety level that was unbearable and completely disrupted sleep. It was pulsating in 10-15 second intervals.

That was 3 years ago and at the time I had just started taking Thyroid meds. I was misdiagnosed as having hypothyroid when actually I was having adrenal problems. The thyroid medicine overdrove the flagging adrenals, sending them into crisis. I still have a similar sensation now, but more body wide and not pulsating. Some people call it paresthesia, (sometimes spelled parasthesia) some call it neurasthenia. Oddly enough, I am having a consult with the Dr. at Clymer Research tomorrow to ask just such a question, "How and why do I still have this paresthesia?" I'll post on Friday or Saturday to tell you what he says.

It's important to rule out other causes (like your back or neck being out of alignment)so you could try seeing another chiropractor, or that something is going on neurologically. But in the event you rule out other causes you may want to research the HPA and the Adrenal Stress Index.

Steviegal