weird muscle spasms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nayray, Aug 26, 2003.

1. nayray

nayray New Member

Does anyone else have weird spasms/twitching in hands, feet, legs, arms, etc? I had a thymectomy a month ago and it seems like most of my symptoms have "gone into remission" but now I have this NEW symptom. :(

Renee
  2. I have experienced very mild muscle twitches - almost like a strong pulse. They occur in various places infrequently (maybe a few times a day for about 5 seconds in one place). The other similar thing I have experienced is 'leg jerking' in bed, again, very infrequently like once a week at the most.

Hope you get better soon.

MCTE
  3. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I get eye twitches, thigh spasms, cramps in my feet, and small muscle twitches in my arms. The worse off I am, the more I get them.
  4. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

When I'm trying (stressing the TRYING) to fall asleep, my legs and arms often twitch. I often wake from sleep with twitching between my shoulder blades or in my chest muscles. Sometimes my right butt cheek muscle goes ballistic on me in bed, too. :)
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes, I used to get them bad, even my eyes would 'jump' and like the other poster said, my legs would dance all by themselves when I was sleeping, it was so bad it would wake me up all night.

I also would have facial twitches, plus other places on my body too.

Its now only infrequently, I started taking Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate), and ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) this latter for sleep.

You can read about both supplements at the 'Store' link at the top of this page.

I believe all of us, or most anyway are deficient in magnesium and probably the zinc too. A lack of magnesium will cause muscle spasms, and those 'twitches' as I call them! It stopped the RLS completely.

But be sure to ask you doctor or pharmacist if you are on meds if these products will interfere with anything you are already taking should you decide to try them.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. nayray

nayray New Member

Thanks for all of the information. I guess in the back of my mind I was hoping that all of my CFS symptoms were really being caused by the thymous gland issues I was having and that I would be "all better" after it was removed. On top of that, I actually AM feeling quite a bit improved except for these blasted spasms...I suppose I should just be happy with them and quit complaining when I could be so much worse off. I also got a little bit worried when I read the article about the huntington disease gene expression... my mind has been wandering off and worrying that I really have huntingtons and not CFS or hyperplastic thymous gland or dipsydoodleitis. I just can't stop myself from worrying...I calm down for a while and than start all over again---vicious cycle. Thanks again to all of you for listening though.

Take care,
    Renee'
  7. nayray

nayray New Member

Thanks very much for that post...I'll try a mg supplement but it would also be awesome if you could find out the name of the appropriate test in case I need to have it checked. I have had the regular blood work for mg some months ago and it was normal. Also, do you know of a good mg supplement that doesn't cause too much stomach trouble?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2003]
  8. achy

achy New Member

If I had a nickle for everything I have splashed on myself...or others...from when I twitch I'd be rich!!

It started after I took neurontin. My doc says no way, but I never twitched beofre the 1 week I was on it. It got a bit better after I stopped, but it's not gone.

Mine twitches vary...sometimes my whole body spasms...like i stuck my finger ina socket. other times just my arm will do it..sometimes barely noticeable..other times if I'm holding something you better duck! I do get the jerks when i'm trying to go to sleep. That's the ones that really get me ticked off. I'll be so tired and want to take a nap, but can't fall asleep cause by body jerks!! GRRRRR

I do take magnesium, but it hasn't helped that symptom yet. It does seem to help wiht the deep achyness though, and it seems to help w/ sleep. I take oxy too so it has relieved the constipation too.

Be sure to tell your doc about your new symptom though.

Warm fuzzies
    Achy