Weird Numbness--is this FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Aug 27, 2003.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I will awake at night finding my arm numb and tingling. Is this a Fibro thing? My husband says I probably am sleeping on the shoulder and arm and the circulation is cut down. Anyone else with this problem? Please tell me I'm not the only one!
    Tania
  2. libra55

libra55 New Member

Tania I also get that numbness at night. I wake up three or four times a night with that numbness in the fingers. Isn't it the pits? So, yes I think it's probably part of the fibro syndrome. I also have tingling sensations in my feet, but not actual numbness; if I am standing a long period of time then sit down boy do my feet tingle!

I have been tested and retested for other illnesses and as far as we can tell it's simply fibro (that's quite enough by itself!).

Best wishes,
    Michelle
  3. smoke

smoke New Member

I get some weird numbness and it is not always at night. Sometimes I will have an arm/hand or leg tingling when I sit in the recliner. The one that I can not figure out is when I am sitting on the toilet my left leg will go to sleep just about every time. I am kind of emberassed at this.When we left the Dr office yesterday I told my wife about this because the Dr was asking about limbs going to sleep. I have been having really sharp pains in my right lower back that will shoot down my right leg. The tingling on the toilet is only my left leg though. This is pretty weird to me, I really had not thought about it being FM/CFS.

Jay
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2003]
  4. Angeldrd

Angeldrd New Member

I am so glad I read this, because this has been happening to me, too, and it had me kind of scared. As I am first waking up I have a feeling of numbness and almost being swollen and paralyzed in my upper body, especially on the left side.
    Also, Jay, don't be embarrassed! I have that too. When I go to the bathroom my right leg will shake and go numb.
    Then when I take a bath, my left leg always goes numb!
    How do we live with all this insanity? LOL
  5. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

My feet have numb spots and tingling. Also feel in the evenings as if they are swollen. I have FM so yes I chalk it up to FM, you are not alone! My shoulders and arms ache, tingle and have shooting pains, usually more pronounced on the side I sleep on. My husband and I just changed the sides of the bed we sleep on so I can balance it out, maybe I'll only hurt 1/2 as bad on both sides (LOL)!
  6. chickadee

chickadee New Member

My numb feelings are in my head. Feels like my brain is numb. Sometimes one side, sometimes the other or it can be in front or in back and sometimes all over.I've had CT scans and MRI of brain and neurologist said it was migraine headaches and that I should be thankful that it was numb instead of hurting. I think he was full of "you know what" and chalk it up to the fibro. Comes in spells and then goes away (only to return again).
  7. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I wake up every single night several times with my right hand totally numb. It feels like it is huge and has ppins and needles in it. I have to hang it off the bed to get the blood flowing in it again to make the numbness to go away.
  8. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

for your replies and support. I guess this symptom is one of many that we get---and probably will never know why.
    This board is wonderful as we all compare our symptoms--at least I know now that I'm not some kind of alien from outer space!!!! My kids think I'm wierd with all my complaints!
    Tania
  9. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

My arms and hand are at least 30% numb most of the time. It goes away after my chiropractor adjusts my spine. However, it doesn't usually last from adjustment to adjustment. Wish it would, as I spend a lot of time typing... and I have an autistic 5 year old. I need my hands!
  10. aaron19

aaron19 New Member

Ok this usually happens when I have a debilitating headache that sends me to bed early because I put my head between 2 pillows and have one my arms over the top pillow, so my arm is kinda hanging behind my head.

It doesn't matter which arm it is, either arm when I have one behind my head, when I wake up it's hard to move and it's numb and tingling. But nothing was wrong with my nerve conduction study I had about a 2 years ago, but back then this didn't happen.

Should I get another nerve conduction study or will it be the same? Or I guess the real question is, is this normal with "normal" nerves? lol. please reply.

----Aaron----